• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

S18 on its way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
If South Africa is thinking of joining a northern hemisphere competition are they willing to switch the professional season to Summer (Sept-May)? Is it feasible to play rugby in South Africa in December-February? Will the Northern hemisphere teams really want to travel to Africa when they are use to a few hours travel at the most?

December rugby in Pretoria? If you want people to die, yes.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I have absolutely no probs with SA having 6 teams, I know it makes draw a bit of problem, but if it can be worked out, whats the problem. SA have always wanted 6 as it works in with their systems etc,and to think they would then want another one is just a wee bit silly I think! I personally would of preferred 6 SA and 4 Aus teams, but I can also see why Aus wanted 5 teams and have no real problem with that. I just think we probably have to prepare ourselves for more conference type comp, but not sure I can see anything being ideal, so we may have to live with it.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Give SA 6 teams, they don't have byes. At the end of the season the results in the local derby's against the team that finished bottom work out the same as having a bye.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
SANZAR is a three way partnerships. There were tow other votes that could have blocked this. It was not. What does this tell us? SANZAR agree.

they more than likely do not agree with it, its called compromise, if it means keeping SA in the tournament it seems they are willing to allow another team. Doesnt mean they necessarily whole-heartedly agree with it.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
can we give the SARU their 6th team, bring in 2 PI teams, then ditch the conference system and play every team once? 17 regular season games then a top 8 finals.

SA get their 6th team, we include the PIs, and we go back to playing each team in the comp, instead of missing 2 each year.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
can we give the SARU their 6th team, bring in 2 PI teams, then ditch the conference system and play every team once? 17 regular season games then a top 8 finals.

SA get their 6th team, we include the PIs, and we go back to playing each team in the comp, instead of missing 2 each year.

Personally like playing all the other Australian teams home and away. Local Derby games always have a good atmosphere.

Imagine the complaints when Tahs only played 2 Aussie teams at home and they where Melbourne and Force. Had to travel to Brisbane and ACT.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

Dont think this will ever happen again. The conferense system is the money drawer and money is the only thing that count. It will count IF SA decide to play up north, the admins will decide the when and the way it get done.

Myself are worried about the direction if cricket is the example.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Yes, I think someone may have had a word to them they've added this disclaimer to their website

Disclaimer: This is a fictitious team created for a university assignment, and is in no way related to any person, business or entity, other than the five students completing this assignment.

Silly buggers :)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yes, I think someone may have had a word to them they've added this disclaimer to their website

Disclaimer: This is a fictitious team created for a university assignment, and is in no way related to any person, business or entity, other than the five students completing this assignment.

Silly buggers :)

That said, I still think Kiap's suggestion of entering a SA team into the Super B concept to fill in the bye weeks is actually a reasonably good idea. Sure, they'll likely get toweled up. But it would be a good development exercise for them.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Cheers, WCR. Maybe they could get some Japanese sponsorship in return for recruiting some Japanese players to Radelaide.

Here's a proposal from the NZ Soup coaches to include a PI and a Japanese team in a Super 18 (no Argies). I'm not sold on the idea - but just putting it out here....

Pacific team likely in Super rugby
By Patrick McKendry, NZ Herald: Wednesday Oct 2, 2013 5:30 am​
Ignored for years by the New Zealand Rugby Union, Pacific Islands rugby could be about to receive a dramatic boost with an invitation to play in a restructured Super rugby competition.​
Based in Auckland, the Pacific Islands team would be aligned with New Zealand in the proposed rejigged tournament which would take effect from 2016.​
Super rugby as we know it will finish at the end of the current broadcasting deal following the 2015 season, with global body Sanzar now consulting its constituents for the relaunch.​
The Herald has learned that the New Zealand Super rugby franchise coaches have put a case for an 18-team competition featuring the Pacific Islands newcomers, along with a team from Japan, which would be aligned with the Australian franchises (see table).​
South Africa's sixth team would be filled either by the Southern Kings or the Lions, two sides who must [presently] fight it out for inclusion.​
i0qjpidOvIhBH.gif

The other major talking point under the proposal is the possibility of New Zealand players retaining the ability to represent the All Blacks despite playing for overseas Super teams - a more elegant solution for a Ma'a Nonu-type scenario, but which will regardless be seen as a watering-down of the NZRU's policy of selecting only locally based players for the national team.

It is thought that a Pacific-based team in Auckland would provide a route to the top for players with a background in the city's big Pasifika population and would look to wrest supporters from the Blues. While the team might struggle initially, it is thought it would be more competitive than the Melbourne-based Rebels, who finished last in their first season two years ago and 13th and 12th since.

Argentina would not be invited to submit a team but could provide players to other franchises. Argentine rugby supporters would be likely to see this as a snub, however, given their national team is in the second year of a revamped Rugby Championship which also features New Zealand, Australia and South Africa.

Under the terms of the proposal, teams from each country would play each other home and away, as they do now, plus the other teams in their conference once.

The playoffs would revert to a standard quarter-final, semifinal, final system (the top four in each conference would qualify for the quarters) rather than the current qualifier arrangement.

While the proposal breaks ground in several areas, none will be more pleased than supporters of Pacific Islands rugby should these changes come to fruition.

Samoa, Tonga and Fiji fight way above their weight on the international stage and have contributed some of the best players ever to have worn the black jersey of New Zealand or gold of Australia.

At the last World Cup in 2011, Tonga pulled off the upset of the tournament in New Zealand when beating eventual finalists France despite a limited preparation time and a tougher playing schedule than the Tier One nations. Many of the top players from the islands play in Europe.

Despite their contribution to the world game, national teams from the Pacific Islands continue to struggle financially and receive little recognition. The All Blacks have never played a test in the islands.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11133135

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)

It's actually one of the best proposals I have heard of. Keeping the local Derby's is important for crowd attendances. While this format increases the size of the competition it does not increase the amount of games played during the season.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Interesting.

Aus get shafted by having to travel significantly further to play the new team in Japan.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Cheers, WCR. Maybe they could get some Japanese sponsorship in return for recruiting some Japanese players to Radelaide.

Here's a proposal from the NZ Soup coaches to include a PI and a Japanese team in a Super 18 (no Argies). I'm not sold on the idea - but just putting it out here..

Pacific team likely in Super rugby
By Patrick McKendry, NZ Herald: Wednesday Oct 2, 2013 5:30 am​
Ignored for years by the New Zealand Rugby Union, Pacific Islands rugby could be about to receive a dramatic boost with an invitation to play in a restructured Super rugby competition.​
Based in Auckland, the Pacific Islands team would be aligned with New Zealand in the proposed rejigged tournament which would take effect from 2016.​
Super rugby as we know it will finish at the end of the current broadcasting deal following the 2015 season, with global body Sanzar now consulting its constituents for the relaunch.​
The Herald has learned that the New Zealand Super rugby franchise coaches have put a case for an 18-team competition featuring the Pacific Islands newcomers, along with a team from Japan, which would be aligned with the Australian franchises (see table).​
South Africa's sixth team would be filled either by the Southern Kings or the Lions, two sides who must [presently] fight it out for inclusion.​
i0qjpidOvIhBH.gif

The other major talking point under the proposal is the possibility of New Zealand players retaining the ability to represent the All Blacks despite playing for overseas Super teams - a more elegant solution for a Ma'a Nonu-type scenario, but which will regardless be seen as a watering-down of the NZRU's policy of selecting only locally based players for the national team.

It is thought that a Pacific-based team in Auckland would provide a route to the top for players with a background in the city's big Pasifika population and would look to wrest supporters from the Blues. While the team might struggle initially, it is thought it would be more competitive than the Melbourne-based Rebels, who finished last in their first season two years ago and 13th and 12th since.

Argentina would not be invited to submit a team but could provide players to other franchises. Argentine rugby supporters would be likely to see this as a snub, however, given their national team is in the second year of a revamped Rugby Championship which also features New Zealand, Australia and South Africa.

Under the terms of the proposal, teams from each country would play each other home and away, as they do now, plus the other teams in their conference once.

The playoffs would revert to a standard quarter-final, semifinal, final system (the top four in each conference would qualify for the quarters) rather than the current qualifier arrangement.

While the proposal breaks ground in several areas, none will be more pleased than supporters of Pacific Islands rugby should these changes come to fruition.

Samoa, Tonga and Fiji fight way above their weight on the international stage and have contributed some of the best players ever to have worn the black jersey of New Zealand or gold of Australia.

At the last World Cup in 2011, Tonga pulled off the upset of the tournament in New Zealand when beating eventual finalists France despite a limited preparation time and a tougher playing schedule than the Tier One nations. Many of the top players from the islands play in Europe.

Despite their contribution to the world game, national teams from the Pacific Islands continue to struggle financially and receive little recognition. The All Blacks have never played a test in the islands.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11133135

It would only serve to increase the travel requirement for teams which was one of the reasons the three conference system was introduced.

What I don't like is the lack of inclusion of Argentina in this equation. We need to get their best players more in line with our structures to ensure they are always able to field their best. The chances of a global season are limited at present so we do have to find ways to accommodate them.

I do think that operating a quota system could work if they went down this path say 3 - 5 Argentine players per squad but what concerns me most is that this format would likely doom Super Rugby to pay TV here in Australia.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Piss take surely?

Think about the possiblities with stadium chants though!

I mean how can you beat 15,000 heads unanimously making this noise:

Or maybe even hand out rattles for better effect:

It's pretty much the most brilliant thing ever and this team needs to be instituted immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.