• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Salary cap shenanigans

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Big Code

Bob McCowan (2)
Fairfax is running a story that an Australian Super rugby club is avoiding the ARU salary cap by paying one player's money to a local rugby club as 'ground hire'. The club then pays the player, who then does not have to pay tax. This is all of course rumour and innuendo at this stage but sounds very dodgy indeed (Melbourne Storm anyone?).

Here is a link to the article: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...e-the-sack-if-rort-proved-20120715-224bt.html

Does anyone have any thoughts on which Super rugby club it might be?

The ARU have really bungled the salary cap issue. As far as I know, they still haven't sorted out the issue of how much the cap will be in 2013 and beyond, which is just mind boggling when you consider you have players and clubs negotiating contracts during the season.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Straight from the Harvard Business School best selling "How To Let Infighting And Ego Ruin Your Organization And Take Everyone Down With You".

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Makes you wonder who it is. It surely couldn't be the Brumbies as they have a lot of players who would be relatively cheap. I don't think it would be the Rebels because of salary cap conditions for their marquee players. So it is probably the Force, Tahs or Reds. I doubt it would be the Force because few of their players have attachments to local clubs and local clubs definitely don't have the kind of money to discretely pull something like this off.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Before anyone notices that Harold Mitchell is stepping away and connecting some dots, this was announced long before this issue came to light. As mentioned in the Rebels 2013 thread.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Judging by everything else that has gone wrong this season, I would be surprised if this doesn't relate to the Waratahs.

The only thing that would make me doubt that is I don't have enough faith in the organisation to engineer something like this.

That said, they've been found out so they clearly didn't do it very well.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
isn't the simple solution working out who trains at a club ground? Or is that part a furphy too and no actual training takes place at said club ground?

Do the Rebels get out and about?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'll just wait til 2019 when the Tahs release their 2012 Annual Report.
Then I'll be really fucked off that not only were they fucking hopeless but they were cheats as well.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
This is what the Melbourne Storm did. They put the extra salary cap expenses under 'Marquee Hire' (as in hire of a hospitality tent). They actually received the tent free of charge when they hired Olympic Park.

How stupid would a club be to copy this model?

T

TOCC

This is what the Melbourne Storm did. They put the extra salary cap expenses under 'Marquee Hire' (as in hire of a hospitality tent). They actually received the tent free of charge when they hired Olympic Park.

How stupid would a club be to copy this model?

little bit different, but similar concept..

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
That could go pear shaped for the player
It could, if income is undeclared.

Given the last financial year only ran out a few weeks ago, it would seem more likely that the 2011 season of Super Rugby would be in the gun-sights more so than this current 2012 season.

Unless a return was put in very promptly, or quarterly tax payments are being made.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
isn't the simple solution working out who trains at a club ground? Or is that part a furphy too and no actual training takes place at said club ground?

Do the Rebels get out and about?

So this should be easy?

Tahs at Moore Park?
Reds at Ballymoore?
Other 3?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I'm guessing it's not the Force. With the calibre of our squad, there is probably a bit left in the kitty each year.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
I wouldn't worry too much about tracking which team trains at which club - if a team is prepared to make sham payments for the purpose of beating a salary cap, or worse defrauding the taxpayer, they are capable of fudging a few trainings.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I wouldn't worry too much about tracking which team trains at which club - if a team is prepared to make sham payments for the purpose of beating a salary cap, or worse defrauding the taxpayer, they are capable of fudging a few trainings.
Who do you think is involved, Dam0?

Any thoughts mate?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
So - are the Rebs and Brumbies only potential candidates from the above? Who owns those facilities?

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Who do you think is involved, Dam0?

Any thoughts mate?

I have some law suit-provoking rampant speculation that I made up.

Presumably it must be a team subject to the salary cap and with demanding stars that would put it close to or over salary cap. It sounds like it could really only be out of 2 teams, and the stars from one of those teams would be unlikely to be bargaining too strongly given recent events.

Status
Not open for further replies.