• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Samoa v All Blacks: Apia, 8/07/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
With 17 of the All Blacks' 41-man training squad involved in the S15 Final Saturday night, Liam Napier (his sources are generally pretty accurate, given they're probably named Hansen, Smith & Fox) reckons the starting XV will be:

Tony Woodcock, Keven Mealamu, Owen Franks, Brodie Retallick, Sam Whitelock, Jerome Kaino, Matt Todd, Kieran Read (c), Andy Ellis, Dan Carter, Charles Piutau, Sonny Bill Williams, Ryan Crotty, Colin Slade, Israel Dagg.

Enough players of Samoan descent to satisfy the locals & overall a strong enough side to prevent any accusations of disrespect (even from @Pfitzy :)). Bench will be interesting & there will be ring-ins, Napier naming Weber as one but I suspect there will be another in the outside backs or midfield, perhaps Robbie Fruean.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...bill-williams-and-jerome-kaino-in-samoan-test

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
What a wonderful occasion :)

Its certainly a proud moment, to at least beat the darkness in a public relations campaign.

Hopefully its not a cricket score, but you wouldn't expect anything less against the ABs, to be honest I'd be disappointed if it wasn't.

Primarily to keep the carrot, and help the Manu keep standards high, so victories against the Wobs are more frequent... haha

It'll be an interesting backrow battle. The manu at various times particularly in recent history, have most certainly held their own if not bettered their tier one opponents i.e. Wales & France 2012.

some interesting match ups -Kaino vs Treviranus, FaaSavalu vs Reid, Fotuali'i vs Ellis, Nanai Williams vs Piutau

Hyped :)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ I believe it falls outside the Window so how many of Samoa's top XV will turn out? I'm hoping for plenty: having fought such a tenacious PR battle to pretty much shame NZRU into sending a team up there Samoa need to turn up with more than just a Residents' XV.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It'll be interesting to see how the AB's handle the heat. Samoan squad has been there training in it to acclimatize but if AB's just go over late they'll be in for a shock when the humidity smacks them in the face stepping off the plane.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
It'll be interesting to see how the AB's handle the heat. Samoan squad has been there training in it to acclimatize but if AB's just go over late they'll be in for a shock when the humidity smacks them in the face stepping off the plane.

No doubt they'll have a bundle of PR chores, so I don't think that's an option TBH.

Speaking from experience, the heat and humidity isn't *that* bad. If a rag-tag 1st XV team can deal with it, then the best rugby team on the planet -- with all their fancy doctors and such -- shouldn't have much of a problem.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
^^^^^^^ I believe it falls outside the Window so how many of Samoa's top XV will turn out? I'm hoping for plenty: having fought such a tenacious PR battle to pretty much shame NZRU into sending a team up there Samoa need to turn up with more than just a Residents' XV.

Given how fragmented the Manu sets up, players flying in and odd entities in management with questionable influence, it would not be surprising to see a Village XV. chance in a lifetime why not.lol

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
The probable backline for Samoa looks bloody useful, but a lot of ABs will be super motivated for this game as there is a lot of competition for spots this year. Some current ABs will be sweating.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Have heard from a Fox Sports source that it will be and quick look at the guide shows a 'Rugby Union special' listed from 11:30am-2:30pm so that must be it

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Manu Samoa squad of 27 named. My proposed starting lineup underlined

Hookers
Wayne Ole Avei
Maatulimanu Leiataua

Props
Viliamu Afatia
Census Johnston
Anthony Perenise
Sakaria Taulafo

Locks
Kane Thompson
Teofilo Paulo
Iosefa Tekori
Faatiga Lemalu

Loosies
Alafoti Faosiliva
Jack Lam
Ofisa Treviranus (c)
Maurie Faasavalu
TJ Ioane

Halbacks
Kahn Fotualii
Pele Cowley

1st 5s
Tusi Pisi
Michael Stanley

Midfielders
Faialaga Afamasaga
Johnny Leota
Paul Perez

Wings
Alofa Alofa
Ken Pisi
Alesana Tuilagi

Fullbacks
Tim Nanai-Williams
Ah See Tuala

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Manu Samoa squad of 27 named. My proposed starting lineup underlined

Hookers
Wayne Ole Avei
Maatulimanu Leiataua

Props
Viliamu Afatia
Census Johnston
Anthony Perenise
Sakaria Taulafo

Locks
Kane Thompson
Teofilo Paulo
Iosefa Tekori
Faatiga Lemalu

Loosies
Alafoti Faosiliva
Jack Lam
Ofisa Treviranus (c)
Maurie Faasavalu
TJ Ioane

Halbacks
Kahn Fotualii
Pele Cowley

1st 5s
Tusi Pisi
Michael Stanley

Midfielders
Faialaga Afamasaga
Johnny Leota
Paul Perez

Wings
Alofa Alofa
Ken Pisi
Alesana Tuilagi

Fullbacks
Tim Nanai-Williams
Ah See Tuala

Ahh not bad, not bad.. good balance of quality and quantity

2nd row, backrowers & backs look fierce - plenty of Soup rugby experience

Think the battle will be in the backrow... reckon SBW may have bounty on head - Nanai-Williams with point to prove to ABs selectors

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Have heard from a Fox Sports source that it will be and quick look at the guide shows a 'Rugby Union special' listed from 11:30am-2:30pm so that must be it

Thanks. I'll be trying to watch it from Vancouver, where as in all of Canada, if it ain't baseball or hockey, we ain't showing it.
Guess I'll have to try nefarious means to get it.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Still not convinced that 3 months before a world cup is the right time to do a PR exercise.

Although, I can't stand that Eliota Fucking Shithead guy, and he's telling all and sundry that this is his doing, so perhaps my thoughts are being blind sided by his involvement.

I probably won't even watch (not by choice!)

I like Eliota....he stands up and speaks his mind which Samoan players should have been doing for years now. It is actually quite un-Samoan but guys like him and Mahroni Schwalger have been pretty ballsy....

plus... you look at all the stuff Eliota does off the field for rugby and the under-privileged....I'm prepared to give him some wriggle room

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)

with PR like this, surely you can't deny Pacific Islands footy need continual encouragement

I like Eliota..he stands up and speaks his mind which Samoan players should have been doing for years now. It is actually quite un-Samoan but guys like him and Mahroni Schwalger have been pretty ballsy..

plus. you look at all the stuff Eliota does off the field for rugby and the under-privileged..I'm prepared to give him some wriggle room

It is actually a noted Samoan characteristic and cultural trait, Eliota took it to another level, or rather a global forum, whereas traditionally speaking out is done at local level where cultural protocol govern the process, however rugby is not neither culturally specific nor governed by the locals - But yes the majority of those who know the struggle, not only pacific rugby but the collective rugby minnows, support his stance generally :)

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

with PR like this, surely you can't deny Pacific Islands footy need continual encouragement

It is actually a noted Samoan characteristic and cultural trait, Eliota took it to another level, or rather a global forum, whereas traditionally speaking out is done at local level where cultural protocol govern the process, however rugby is not neither culturally specific nor governed by the locals - But yes the majority of those who know the struggle, not only pacific rugby but the collective rugby minnows, support his stance generally :)

Man, I don't know any Samoans that would be keen to speak out so publicly against their leaders eg. pastors, community leaders, business leaders etc. That's usually stuff we say amongst each other outside in the car park until we're pissed off enough to have a fist fight about it at one of the general meetings - LOL

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Each to their own. I'm personally not a fan of

a) racists
b) people that move to countries and then constantly abuse that country
c) hypocrits

To compare to the way he goes about things, to the way that Schwalger has, is pretty insulting to Mahonri.

I never compared the way Schwalger and Fuimaono-Sapolu did things? Is said that they were ballsy in standing up to the Samon Rugby Union.

But racist?!? Wow.......he may be over the top sometimes but racist?! Poor call.

Status
Not open for further replies.