• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Just picked up this quote from a smh article

"Some Scots parents defend Dr Lambert's focus on sporting excellence. ''His appointment … has resulted in a new spirit and pride in the school,'' says one.

He attributes Scots' success to hard work, quality coaches and a high-performance centre."

Looks like they've used Sydney Uni's PR spin doctor and substituted 'Scots' for "Sydney Uni".

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/i-was-cheated-by-sporting-imports-says-angry-scots-student-20130925-2uem1.html#ixzz2fzGybT4m

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I would imagine that there are regular briefings and reports given to the School Council about this, that and the other.

I guess time may tell (and we may only find out indirectly) what they think about the current situation. It must surely fall in the category of this, that or the other that Councils like to know about.

In my experience, most School Councils prefer that their school is not featured in the media, and if they are, it should be a feel good story.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I would imagine that there are regular briefings and reports given to the School Council about this, that and the other.

I guess time may tell (and we may only find out indirectly) what they think about the current situation. It must surely fall in the category of this, that or the other that Councils like to know about.

In my experience, most School Councils prefer that their school is not featured in the media, and if they are, it should be a feel good story.
You'd think that Dr Lambert would have had to report on this to the Chairman of the Council at least.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This little part of today's SMH article is quite telling:

Headmaster Ian Lambert denies offering sports scholarships. He has declined to say how many Firsts players are on scholarships or bursaries, citing privacy reasons.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/i-was-cheated-by-sporting-imports-says-angry-scots-student-20130925-2uem1.html#ixzz2fzS2cBnN

Surely if the answer was "No one in the 1sts or 2nds basketball are on a scholarship or bursary" Nonone's privacy would be infringed, would it?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think you'll find that they have a damn fine percussion section in the Scots orchestra.

Demonstrating their progressiveness, I have heard whispers that they may even offer some DJ'ing musical scholarships, and Creative Arts scholarships for demonstrated and advances video mashup skills.

blackheart

Peter Burge (5)
I think "headlineHawkes" will be revealed as a leader of the gang of five in due course. About 18 months ago at a senior assembly he was decrying the fact that Scots had poached a senior basketball player. If Kings' own recruiting programme, had have been more successful over the previous years he would been in a very difficult position over all this.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think it has already been revealed that he is in the vanguard, if not the ringmaster, of this circus.

It is useful to know what may be a fairly significant motivating factor for his indignation.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think it has already been revealed that he is in the vanguard, if not the ringmaster, of this circus.

It is useful to know what may be a fairly significant motivating factor for his indignation.
Dr Hawkes may well be the most inclined to appear in the media of the 5, which may well give at least the impression of leadership. Although, based on some of what he has said and some past actions (the Conn/Halangahu era), he would seem to have the least credibility of the 5.

Drs Vallance and Wright have been at Grammar and Shore for a while and seem able to occupy the high ground without too much debate. The new man at Riverview has only been there a few months and doesn't come from a background of schools with GPS style sports programs, which suggests he might be more sympathetic to the Grammar and Shore approach to sport. Ross Tarlington from Joeys also comes from a Catholic systemic school background and based on his letter above, seems also to have come around to the Grammar/Shore position.

Also reading between the lines of the letter received by Joeys parents, would be that any other school thought to be acting improperly would have received the same verbal requests as TSC but were happy to take on board the criticism and adjust what they were doing to the satisfaction of the others.

MrRugby37

Bob McCowan (2)
Great response by jogging40!
too often do coaches sacrifice the traditions of the school, and the loyalty they should show to the students who give most to the school, in order to save their careers! spot on jogging40.
and the comment about the boys enjoying a snag or two after a cold recovery session is just how I used to remember one of my summer sports at school.. hard sessions then down to the pool for a bit of banter and a feed! the way all schoolboy sport should be.

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
Thursday 26 September 2013
Dear Parents and Carers,
Over the past few days you will have read or heard of various media reports regarding the actions of a number of schools concerning GPS sport and GPS basketball in particular.
I wish to inform you, regardless of your son's participation in GPS basketball or otherwise, that I have advised the Principal of The Scots College that St Joseph's College will not be participating in the GPS First and Second basketball fixtures against The Scots College in the forthcoming summer season.
At St Joseph's College we participate in sport because it is considered of educative value to the boys. It is my current view this is no longer the case in these fixtures and this is the basis of my actions. Games in other grades and other sports remain unaffected.
I can also inform you that on previous occasions prior to this action I made my concerns regarding the educative value of these fixtures, and the position I was considering, known to the Principal of The Scots College.
Please accept my apologies for this intrusion into the time with your son during the school holidays.
Yours sincerely,
Mr Ross Tarlinton Headmaster

Seriously is the word Hypocarisy taught at Joeys. So the after the 13a's lost every game on year 7 you are happy with the import of 2 Sydney Rep players? Astomnshing piece of hyperbole

BeastieBoy

Herbert Moran (7)
There is competition in everything. Schools are not immune. In the GPS there is competition in HSC results, Debating and Sport. Isn't that why we pay those fees to give our children an advantage. Sports is more and more competitive. If you plan to go on after school and achieve higher honours its not sufficient to have a couple of training runs per week throughout your school career and think that will get you there. You will fall off a cliff. So the sports need elite programs from well funded schools to help our athletes get there. Even then we are struggling at after school level with Rudd's cutbacks. This high standard in sports is evidenced by Divisions being used in most sports to evenly match up standards amongst teams, with divisions sometimes adjusted even during the season. This is what is happening here. We have already had Grammar and High pull out of 1st and 2nds because they are of a different standard. Now the other schools are saying the same, except for Newington. I say its a natural progression. Scots and Newington go with it and form a elite competition with State Sports Highs etc. The ARU needs it and its a natural. The boys at Scots can then choose to either play in their GPS firsts team or this other competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.