• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Its not only GPS Schools that are going nuts. At Knox Matt Williams has recently been seen giving aboriginal rugby prospects front row and a 9 or 10 a personal tour of the school. Funny that they award aboriginal scholarships only for rugby playing aboriginals but never give sports scholarships ! He is said to have copied and wants to enforce GPS style every day rugby training timetable. Might get interesting when traditional support get the picture. To cheat to the top is a race to the bottom!
is there any evidence that Knox has provided a scholarship to any of these boys? My understanding is that M.Williams has certainly shaken things up, but it has revolved around hard work rather than plunder.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Joeys won the 2nds comp - undefeated.

Seriously - have you read any of the discussion? We are discussing the NEXT competition. The one where the scottts lads who expected to play firsts will now play seconds because of a team of scholarship recruits taking all the spots in the firsts. Who gives a toss about last year?

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Seriously - have you read any of the discussion? We are discussing the NEXT competition. The one where the scottts lads who expected to play firsts will now play seconds because of a team of scholarship recruits taking all the spots in the firsts. Who gives a toss about last year?

The bloke was actually talking about Basketball last year....

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
New did have a lot of schlorship boys in year 2013 (the initial year 7 group was quite small because of the Work Place Relations debacle and if that group had continueds as it was to year 12 a lot of the HSC subjects that would ordinarily have been offered would have had to be scrapped) but the circumstances of their enrolments was dislosed to the GPS Heads by Dr Mulford so that'sprobably part of the reason the other GPS Heads are not crucifying New.

I might be slow on the uptake or out of the loop, but I just don't get what you are trying to say: Workplace Relations debacle.

The Incredible Plan

Herbert Moran (7)
I have missed out on several days of posts which I will get through but at the risk of repetition, I understand one or more of the headmasters of the gang of five have written to parents regarding the basket ball situation. View has and possibly Shore. The thrust of the View letter was that the interpretation of the GPS principles had widened to the extent that that the competition was no longer of any meaning and consequently the actions of the five were necessary to preserve the principles of GPS sport.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I might be slow on the uptake or out of the loop, but I just don't get what you are trying to say: Workplace Relations debacle.
During 2006, the press reported on an industrial relations dispute at Newington where a plan by Then Headmaster David Scott was to force staff to re-apply for their jobs in a restructure that would also reduce their holidays. David Scott said that "The action was taken after a comprehensive review of the school and had nothing to do with the federal government's Work Choices reforms"[15] The Sydney Morning Herald reported that David Scott believed that the union was being mischievous "at best", or using an "outright and deliberate lie" in suggesting the restructure was linked to workplace legislation.[16] Following a meeting between the Independent Education Union and Newington College, David Scott agreed not to declare senior staff positions vacant and the school continued to negotiate collective arrangements covering salary and working conditions for staff.[17] From wiki

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
You ask me about mungo history and trivia. The game itself is trivia. You might as well ask me to explain Fermat's last theorem.

Actually the idea or concept of what that theory states is quite simple. And most people would agree with what it states: that the sum of two numbers of the power of n can not be expressed by a number of the same power n for integers greater than 2. The proof is rather more complicated and took centuries (and a Pom to do it) to prove.

Therefore I think you may be doing yourself a disservice or are being unduly modest expressing doubts about your capacity to explain it Master Hugh.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Btw I am not defending sports scholarships I just like to see cold hard evidence. Here's a question if New's 14 of the 1stXV were indeed on sports scholarships why didn't the Gang of FIve boycott any of the New rugby games?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Btw I am not defending sports scholarships I just like to see cold hard evidence. Here's a question if New's 14 of the 1stXV were indeed on sports scholarships why didn't the Gang of FIve boycott any of the New rugby games?
That's a bloody good question.
Some reading but not posting will have the answer but my guess is that 3 of the 5 got a big shock from the rugby and some complaints from pissed off parents, perhaps in some way due to information posted on this thread.
It was THE topic on the sideline, even with circumspect teachers, all through winter.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
The parachute owner may have been the Swans. It is not unheard of for the "booster" paying some or all fees for a talented athlete to be a sporting entity (wealthy one obviously).

These occur sometimes without the receiving school's knowledge at time of enrolling, but View is the only AAGPS school with an AFL programme, so they are a logical target for any swans warehousing.

I am told that St Gregs (in the ISA rugby and CCC for RL) have a number of lads that have been warehoused there with fees paid in whole or part by the Mungo clubs. The St Gregs School Fivekick team apparently has boys who play against each other in SG Ball comps but get on famously at school games and training.

Riverview have a few being paid for by the swannies and I have heard that Trinity have a few swimmers paid for by the AIS - but I must say find that a bit hard to swallow - a government agency footing the bill.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)

Shore planned to do it in the final round at Stanmore but needed support from Joeys to do the same at Bellevue Hill, which they didn't get. Lets be honest here, none of the headmasters care about basketball, this is just an excuse to target both Scots and Newington before the 2014 rugby season.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Actually the idea or concept of what that theory states is quite simple. And most people would agree with what it states: that the sum of two numbers of the power of n can not be expressed by a number of the same power n for integers greater than 2. The proof is rather more complicated and took centuries (and a Pom to do it) to prove.

Therefore I think you may be doing yourself a disservice or are being unduly modest expressing doubts about your capacity to explain it Master Hugh.

Thought I'd be called on that. I should have said explain the proof to Fermat's last theorem. I was going to throw in summarise Proust's "A La Recherche du Temps Perdu" in 15 seconds or less but some pommy mob have already used that gag.:)

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Shore planned to do it in the final round at Stanmore but needed support from Joeys to do the same at Bellevue Hill, which they didn't get. Lets be honest here, none of the headmasters care about basketball, this is just an excuse to target both Scots and Newington before the 2014 rugby season.

Would be a very strange strategy, given

- Joeys lost on the bell in the first round against Scots
- Shore in the first round, if IIRC were in front at oranges and went down 37 - 20

Given first round results they couldn't have seriously contemplated this.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Interesting claim. There are many on this thread that have defended 2013 Scots 1st XV as being "organic". If so, a Joeys boycott of that game on the grounds of breaching the spirit of the AAGPS Heads of School agreement on games would be a little pointless.

Could it be that Shore are not keen to join High, Grammar, and TAS is an AAGPS Lite rugby competition?

This is kids sport, part of the NSW Schools curriculum. Is the AAGPS concept still relevant in the digital age?

It seems that Comrade Napoleon parents within the AAGPS hell bent on proving their superiority will most likely destroy the very concept they profess to love.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You may well have answered that question earlier when you said that Dr Mulford had gone to the other heads beforehand, told them it was a small year group and maybe got a nod and a wink. They probably didn't realise the extent. Another reason would be that Scots seem to have instituted a systematic programme of fostering elite sport with the stated aim of achieving "dominance in sport", whereas Newington seem to have put together a one off team which happened also to coincide with their 150th.

A quick look at the Shore v Newington rugby results from 7th Sept indicates an even day of competition (other than 1st XV) rather than dominance.

NC won ...................................................................Shore won
1st 48-3 ..................................................................2nd 17-16
16A 12-7 ......................16B 5 all .............................14A 25-5
15A 20-12 ................................................................14B 61-14
13A 38-14..................................................................13B 27-14
15B 12-7

Status
Not open for further replies.