• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
By taking action in basketball the 5 broach the subject but in what I am confident they thought would be a low key environment, after all, basketball rarely rates the coverage of rugby or cricket or rowing. TSC have continued to rebuff the rebuke and that action has now escalated into a quite public spat.

How it plays out now is the interesting piece. If there is no clear resolution of this standoff before the rugby season, do they simply pretend that it never happened and go back to life as normal?

Of course the collective GPS schools have thick hides and will do as they always have - whatever suits them best but it looks like both camps are backed into a tight corner. Some might even say a moral conundrum.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
I think you are right MOTH. My gut feeling though is that some of the 5 have slightly changed their tack of attack now that other breaches of the 'AAGPS code' have come to light / been aired more. Or rather counter measures put in print on Saturday mornings.....

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
And we're back...I was worried that this 'dribble' had stooped filling my boring lunch time. Looking forward to following the merry go round of accusation and denial

Rob hart

Ted Thorn (20)
REALLY???? Who would have thunk it??? ;)
But, and its a big but. Do you honestly think thatmore than a few of them might be Rugby Union players???
FFS, there are SIXTY ONE TALENTED ATHLETES as described by this bloke. I tend to be a little sceptical here by thinking that there are maybe a little more than just these boys and men.
Take out 15 of the silly game bubbleballers. 5 cricketers across the age groups, maybe 6 as cricket is only the focal point when you get the governing body to pay.
That leaves 40 boys and men. Half a doz on the water polo that leaves 2 full Rugby teams!!! Plus a couple of reserves.
As has been highlighted by many others particularly regarding one age group, and the Central Coasts lads mum who says her son is still on the Rugby scholarship, that obviously there are inequities here. The selected reviewer may regard a NON talented athlete as a non maybe GPS/state representative level?
Who gave the parameters for "Talented Athlete"?

Somehow I think that MIC's of Rugby and a group of headmasters won't be taking overseas holidays this Christmas.

'' Talented Athletes'' you say really? The wording was '' good sportsman'' but god forbid you would all let the truth get in the way of a good story on this forum or should i say witch hunt......... must be hard to hand out 220 odd bursarys and make sure they are all bad at sport........ only 1/3 are GOOD sportsman (the definition of this is yet to be released but could be anything from the c's up when Scots have so many teams in most sports) if only all GPS schools could offer the same opportunity of a lifetime to so many - of whom only 1/3 are only GOOD at sport......... the report will be released shortly then you can all be objective and deal with facts ........ do i think the report will be a get out of jail free card ....... no absolutely not....... but will it be similar to what many of the other schools have and still do (Shore and Grammar excepted)....... we all know the answer to this...... if only they would open themselves up to the same scrutiny as TSC.........

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I would have thought two of the easiest sports to "recruit" for are swimming and athletics but TSC results there aren't nearly as good in those two sports as they are for rugby and basketball

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
'' Talented Athletes'' you say really? The wording was '' good sportsman'' but god forbid you would all let the truth get in the way of a good story on this forum or should i say witch hunt... must be hard to hand out 220 odd bursarys and make sure they are all bad at sport.... only 1/3 are GOOD sportsman (the definition of this is yet to be released but could be anything from the c's up when Scots have so many teams in most sports) if only all GPS schools could offer the same opportunity of a lifetime to so many - of whom only 1/3 are only GOOD at sport... the report will be released shortly then you can all be objective and deal with facts .... do i think the report will be a get out of jail free card ... no absolutely not... but will it be similar to what many of the other schools have and still do (Shore and Grammar excepted)... we all know the answer to this.. if only they would open themselves up to the same scrutiny as TSC...
What is the difference between good and talented? What is the difference between athlete and sportsman?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
What is the difference between good and talented? What is the difference between athlete and sportsman?
I was going to ask the same question. I would have thought in this context there's absolutely no difference. Interesting that people are trying to split hairs over the two terms. I think it's called a red herring.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I would have thought two of the easiest sports to "recruit" for are swimming and athletics but TSC results there aren't nearly as good in those two sports as they are for rugby and basketball
There doesn't seem to be the same glory involved in winning at athletics or swimming. Even most ardent GPS followers would be hard pressed to tell you who won the swimming or athletics, but everyone knows who wins rugby, who wins HOR and to a lesser extent cricket and basketball.

There's no logical reason for one sport having more prestige than the others, it's just the way it is and the way it has always been.

sulidor

Bob McCowan (2)
.....in the rugby at least,....what would be wrong with 4 divisions of 2 teams each, playing 7 COMPETITIVE rounds......no OHS issues....and in the PREMIER division, 7 absolute, top-notch, cracker clashes between 2 incredibly talented teams....promotion and relegation to be debated......there could even be playoffs to decide that....

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
..wot is the difference between a scholarship and a bursary ?..
A scholarship is usually based on an exam or some type of academic achievement (including music), whereas a bursary is a subsidy of fees at the discretion of the school for a variety of reasons.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
...in the rugby at least,..what would be wrong with 4 divisions of 2 teams each, playing 7 COMPETITIVE rounds..no OHS issues..and in the PREMIER division, 7 absolute, top-notch, cracker clashes between 2 incredibly talented teams..promotion and relegation to be debated..there could even be playoffs to decide that..
Some of the schools don't want to be involved in such a structure. Club rugby is supposed to provide that sort of environment.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
didn't see that on the weekend & can't spot anything in SMH online - what was the thrust?

Sorry for my tardiness to respond MOTH. Been overseas the past week. Perhaps I have been a little too cryptic. Next time you go to a GPS game look at the new insert in the Saturday morning games program. Never used to be there as far as i am aware. There are some serious issues at hand which i believe are now being properly addressed at last by the schools. Hopefully the boys and parents at fault will respond positively. These issues seem to have worsened at certain schools communities re the boys and parents since certain grandstanding the other year.

Rob hart

Ted Thorn (20)
There doesn't seem to be the same glory involved in winning at athletics or swimming. Even most ardent GPS followers would be hard pressed to tell you who won the swimming or athletics, but everyone knows who wins rugby, who wins HOR and to a lesser extent cricket and basketball.

There's no logical reason for one sport having more prestige than the others, it's just the way it is and the way it has always been.

My point is proven yet again ....... Scots won the senior and intermediate cross country this year........ That would be athletics ..... Again don't let the truth get in the way of a good scots bashing storey........

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Some of the schools don't want to be involved in such a structure. Club rugby is supposed to provide that sort of environment.

I assumed this was a mischievous post: 4 divisions of 2 teams?
My point is proven yet again ... Scots won the senior and intermediate cross country this year.... That would be athletics ... Again don't let the truth get in the way of a good scots bashing storey....

What is "the truth" that is being obscured?

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
A snout has indicated that the Shore Headmaster has written an interesting letter to the parents. As I have only been "told" about it third hand, I don't believe it is appropriate to starting "quoting" from it - to ensure that facts don't get in the way & muddy the waters of a post !
Anyone from Shore prepared to divulge the gist of the letter ?