• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Open slather will allow like to seek like.

It may result in the demise of the association that we know as AAGPS, but the likes of Grammar and Shore will most likely join with the more Corinthian schools currently in other associations, where games are played for games sake and the educative and character shaping virtues.

Those who seek world domination will draw together and create their own empire.

The AAGPS as we know it may fall, but schoolboy rugby in Sydney/NSW will not go down the gurgler.

The ripple is that rugby is only one sport in the AAGPS fixture list

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It's not black and white though.
How many were at the cricket,basketball or rowing spectating?
How many watch the first XV?
What are the participation numbers in each of these sports.
Rugby is much more influential than any of the other GPS sports IMO.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
But not by design: the schools pay lip service, at least, to equivalence and would see any one sport impacting on the others as the tail wagging the dog.
That's why b'ball was used to send the message: it could never wag the dog.
Anyway I'm not sure rugby has the hearts and minds that rowing does at Shore.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Rugby may well be the biggest and most important sport to the old boy community - particularly those aged 40 plus, but even a casual observer would note the change in demographics across all the GPS schools. Certainly this applies to some more than others, but the days of the anglo-Australian masses playing rugby, rowing or cricket have long gone for most if not all of the schools. The majority of boys no longer play these sports.

At SHS, SGS and NC, soccer is either equal or greater than rugby in terms of participation, Joeys have won 2 GPS soccer competitions since their last rugby triumph, Riverview have embraced Aussie Rules and Basketball has eclipsed cricket just about everywhere. When the old boys of the last 5-10 years and those that follow become the majority, most of them won't have played rugby, so the idea that rugby has some divine right to pre-eminence is false IMO.

The only thing that will keep the GPS rugby going is a competition where the maximum number of schools have a chance of winning (not each winning the same number of times - but every so often a talented year group comes through and wins a memorable victory). The sports that provide meaningful competition for all 8 schools will be the sports that will prosper into the future. This is the big danger for rugby, and alarm bells should be ringing for all true supporters of the game. If the GPS schools chose to discontinue or downgrade their involvement any of their sports, it would barely create a ripple as all of the other sports have a robust junior club system which is their primary source of development. Rugby is the only exception to this.

Some people should be very careful what they wish for.

EDIT:
The following sports have only been GPS sports since:
Soccer 1988, Cross Country 1988, Water Polo 1988, Basketball 1975, Tennis 1972, in the words of Bob Dylan "O the times they are a changing"

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Currently that is allegedly the case, as reinforced/underpinned by the AAGPS code of conduct.

The apparent reality is that this appears to be observed more in the breach more than compliance by several (at least one) of the members of the "like minded" schools, to such an extent that the heads of the other "like minded" schools have gone public with their concerns.

For an association founded in the best of Corinthian education and games principles, it is not a good sign for the association as a whole when "disputes" end up in the public domain.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^ Currently that is allegedly the case, as reinforced/underpinned by the AAGPS code of conduct.

The apparent reality is that this appears to be observed more in the breach more than compliance by several (at least one) of the members of the "like minded" schools, to such an extent that the heads of the other "like minded" schools have gone public with their concerns.

For an association founded in the best of Corinthian education and games principles, it is not a good sign for the association as a whole when "disputes" end up in the public domain.

I think it's ended up in the public domain this time only because one Headmaster has refused to acknowledge or accept the censure of his peers.

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
Well done ‘One Swallow’ and well done to Grammar cricket. I think the mini-thread had to do with SGS lack of success over a longer period than 4 cricket matches and that High finished higher in the ATAR and had more sporting success suggesting a much well-rounded education than the hot-house that SGS is famous for. But hey so unlike for you not to tell the whole story. By the way how’s the drop out rate for Grammar boys going to university? Still worrying, still the highest of any AAGPS school? Did I hear well-rounded…

But cricket you wanted to raise. How interesting that a boy offered a High placement last year that happened to play junior rep cricket finds his way to SGS and 2 ex-Scots prep boys that are also rep cricketers find their way to SGS. Scholarship, bursary or just a conversation extolling the virtues of Grammar’s cricket program. Guess we will never know.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I wont even begin to correct the grammar and spelling. Although some of it makes it very difficult to get your point, if there is one.
The mini thread was started by you but really "One swallow" - that's the problem with shooting your mouth off as you did. All it takes is one swallow and you have egg all over your face.
I have no information about the drop out rate but i am certainly interested in it - I wonder if the ABS keeps those stats with particular reference to AAGPS schools?
I Don't want you to be too alarmed but there is a constant stream of boys from the Scots prep going to and trying to go to Grammar and I dont think its the cricket that's attracting them.

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
I wont even begin to correct the grammar and spelling. Although some of it makes it very difficult to get your point, if there is one.
The mini thread was started by you but really "One swallow" - that's the problem with shooting your mouth off as you did. All it takes is one swallow and you have egg all over your face.
I have no information about the drop out rate but i am certainly interested in it - I wonder if the ABS keeps those stats with particular reference to AAGPS schools?
I Don't want you to be too alarmed but there is a constant stream of boys from the Scots prep going to and trying to go to Grammar and I dont think its the cricket that's attracting them.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/phew-at-last-a-case-of-true-class-20140102-306ix.html

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
and here was I expecting a reference to some corroboration only to confront a Richard Glover column derived from google or QI.
Oh well you can't say I haven't got an open mind when it comes to your lack of data to support any of your assertions

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
What a monstrous thing to say about your own sons. I am sure they would have achieved as well in any of the other schools due to their hard work and vigilance of their father. What a shame you can not walk head high and cow tow to a particular franchise. We should all stick together and improve all our schools as that is what they deserve.
WTF are you on about????

Please source a thesaurus and look up "Sarcasm" . Little tip... Its not in the DINOSAUR section of the library

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Yes but everyone at High is already on an academic scholarship. That's why they need 3 rugby ones to even it out. Then they'd still have one less that Scots.
A NSW Academic Scholarship? Blame the O'Farrell government for stripping the entitlement....

The Sirens on these treacherous shores aaarrrggghhhh!!!

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I don't think it is really about spectators. Not one old boy I know gives a rats arse about basketbobble and most would rather it banished from the landscape immediately as it just gives the kid the easy out and mummy can still make her chakra realigning by 12.30 pm. But... I digress. Isn't it about the kids?
Yes supporters turn up to watch their sons grandsons nephews. Summer sports don't attract anybody as there is much more to do ( chakra realigning, surfing etc) than Rugby. Summer sports like Cricket are frowned upon by parents because they don't want their little oliver or jacques ruining their day. So that would be the primary reason of this. So, no spectators.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thought the NC hooker who made GPS I's (and NSW II IIRC) from last year did well for a Yr 11 boy.

He should be back there this year.

Possibly the movers and shakers decided that they had no one already in "the programme" coming through for 2015 and 2016 1sts.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Thought the NC hooker who made GPS I's (and NSW II IIRC) from last year did well for a Yr 11 boy.

He should be back there this year.

Possibly the movers and shakers decided that they had no one already in "the programme" coming through for 2015 and 2016 1sts.

I think this new one is U16 - that one's father is Convenor of Rugby in the AAGPS