• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
That is the question???? For what, I just don't get it. It is a bloody sport being played by (in this case) 16 year old kids. Is not for oil wells or diamond mines, although maybe there are a few of those owned by mum & dad at these schools.
It's called marketing - winning sports makes for healthy donations from old boys/parents and ensures a healthy waiting list. Unfortunately this is the way of the world now.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
This is the statement on the AAGPS website under "Code of Practice":

No inducements such as sporting scholarships, whether direct, disguised, or at arm's length, shall be offered by any member school. Financial assistance to talented sportsmen shall not form part of the enrolment strategy of any member school.

Very explicit such that any moron could understand - "direct, disguised, or at arm's length.....to talented sportsmen". Easy way to kill would be to have all 1st sporting teams and their parent's sign a stat dec that no financial inducement has been offered.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Very explicit such that any moron could understand - "direct, disguised, or at arm's length.....to talented sportsmen". Easy way to kill would be to have all 1st sporting teams and their parent's sign a stat dec that no financial inducement has been offered.

That would never happen. The reason we see nothing done about sporting scholarships is that it's impossible to prove. I doubt the AAGPS has access to each school's financial records.

2morrows Quade

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/threads/5780-School-sporting-scholarships/page

Just to clear this BGS recruitment talk up; i know for a fact that the three SLC boys, that are supposedly high interests for BGS recruitment, are not interested. The three have said that they would either 'definitely' or 'probably' would not go.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Easy to enforce. Get every player/parent of a kid in the 1st XV to sign a legally binding contract (i.e stat dec) stating they have not received any type of scholarship or financial assistance from the school. GPS then investigates any claims or suspicious activity and can dish out whatever punishment they wish.

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
GPS won't bother investigating, its run by the heads of the schools which alternates. All bar one year when Terrace chairs it, the other schools all offer scholarships. Will people really go to the lengths of signing a legally binding contract? It'd be better to stop fighting scholarships and start dealing with the reality of a two, sometimes three tiered competition.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Sports Success as Effective Marketing?

I'm not sure how measurably effective sport is as a marketing tool, given that the hardest schools to get a student place are probably High, Grammar and Shore and the wealthiest school (judging by recent property purchases and capital expenditure) is Shore.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)

I think that you casually raised the assumption that High and Grammar somehow receive unwarranted sympathy, CTPE, so don't patronise a response to an issue that you raised.
A lot of effort has gone into keeping these schools within the rugby community and people will continue to do so.
As many other people have mentioned, schools have their different strengths and priorities.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think that you casually raised the assumption that High and Grammar somehow receive unwarranted sympathy, CTPE, so don't patronise a response to an issue that you raised.
A lot of effort has gone into keeping these schools within the rugby community and people will continue to do so.
As many other people have mentioned, schools have their different strengths and priorities.

Wasn't patronising smokin'...just offering you a suggestion given that this thread deals with the pursuit of schoolby rugby and not the pursuit of academic success in the HSC

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm not sure how measurably effective sport is as a marketing tool, given that the hardest schools to get a student place are probably High, Grammar and Shore and the wealthiest school (judging by recent property purchases and capital expenditure) is Shore.

Which is probably why these schools are not among the offenders in the scholarship game.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Sport vs Academia - School priorites?

Wasn't patronising smokin'...just offering you a suggestion given that this thread deals with the pursuit of schoolby rugby and not the pursuit of academic success in the HSC

Thank you but I thought that it was a thread on "school sporting scholarships" and not the pursuit of schoolboy rugby.
As such one of the issues with scholarships is the relative importance of sport vs academia vs music etc. So schools make their choices (or in the case of High, have changing demographics make them for them) and direct their funds accordingly.
High hasn't given up on rugby (TAS to the rescue again) and I'm sure that Kings and Newington pursue academic excellence. I understand that the Waverley principal has changed focus away from rugby scholarships to academia in order to address a decline in HSC results.
Every dollar spent on sport is one less dollar spent on something else - I think that the priorities are incorrect at some schools and also that dominating in rugby by scholarship is harmful to the overall picture of all schools competing on the field.
Of course I see the other side whereby sport gives a lad an opportunity to attend a great school but don't let multiple scholarships distort the competition.
I'm sure everyone on this forum thinks rugby is a great game whether you made the Aust Schoolboys or spent 6th form getting pumped in the 5ths!!:)

R

rara10

Thank you but I thought that it was a thread on "school sporting scholarships" and not the pursuit of schoolboy rugby.
As such one of the issues with scholarships is the relative importance of sport vs academia vs music etc. So schools make their choices (or in the case of High, have changing demographics make them for them) and direct their funds accordingly.
High hasn't given up on rugby (TAS to the rescue again) and I'm sure that Kings and Newington pursue academic excellence. I understand that the Waverley principal has changed focus away from rugby scholarships to academia in order to address a decline in HSC results.
Every dollar spent on sport is one less dollar spent on something else - I think that the priorities are incorrect at some schools and also that dominating in rugby by scholarship is harmful to the overall picture of all schools competing on the field.
Of course I see the other side whereby sport gives a lad an opportunity to attend a great school but don't let multiple scholarships distort the competition.
I'm sure everyone on this forum thinks rugby is a great game whether you made the Aust Schoolboys or spent 6th form getting pumped in the 5ths!!:)

Does raise the question are academic scholarships distorting the HSC rankings?

F

fourgreatkids

all this talk of grammar recruiting has been odd as they only have two people at this stage on some form of scholarships. i was wonderin if people have evdience of new people comin or whether it is rumors?

S

sdg

all this talk of grammar recruiting has been odd as they only have two people at this stage on some form of scholarships. i was wonderin if people have evdience of new people comin or whether it is rumors?

Talked to the coach the other day, he laughed at the lauries rumour. Fair to say it isnt happening

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)

Don't be fooled - Grammar will provide pseudo sporting scholarships, but the kid needs to be beyond brainy as well - it’s just that maybe their sport focus is not rugby! High - selective state high school - so you either qualify to attend along egalitarian lines or not; when the old boys kicked up a stink several years ago for the demise of the rugby program, the OBs were labelled as racists.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
I can say categorically that Grammar does not offer pseudo, faux, underhand, real, obvious, imitation, partial, impartial, full or empty sporting scholarships. The only thing that counts is the ability to get a good ATAR. Occasionally, the sons of teachers (who get a good deal) provide some sporting ability. The rest is a fluke. But each year there are a few boys in rugby who have the ability to be in a first 15 at a strong rugby school and to be selected in a gps 1s or 2s team and to go further with the selections. It doesn't happen and as disappointing as it is one has to accept that that is what happens. Depth is also a problem because most parents do not support rugby or are frightened of their sons playing contact sports.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
I can say categorically that Grammar does not offer pseudo, faux, underhand, real, obvious, imitation, partial, impartial, full or empty sporting scholarships.

So the athlete I know that went there in other than year 7, on a scholarship, although he was not absolute top of the class at his former school (probably top 5 - 10 or thereabouts), is there purely on an academic / good citizenship scholarship?

Agreed he will not drag down their "myschool" numbers (he is far from dumb, but still not the smartest kid getting round), but please, his athletic prowess scored him additional points on the good citizenship scale – at least that’s what he boasted to everyone with ears before leaving for greener academic pastures.

Status
Not open for further replies.