• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

GPS Observer

Herbert Moran (7)
Just re-read The Joeys letter to parents about the progress being made with Scots basketball.
Was looking for any reference to early training , as I see from the Rugby pages that Joeys 1-3 have been training since December.
Unfortunately, couldn't see any reference.
Must be within the spirit of the existing code of conduct.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
Just re-read The Joeys letter to parents about the progress being made with Scots basketball.
Was looking for any reference to early training , as I see from the Rugby pages that Joeys 1-3 have been training since December.

It is fitness training and weights with a loose gaggle of boys. No official training starts until Summer sport is over. Quite a few boys would be fitness training via JGC, NGS or school if they want to make 1sts or 2nds.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Nice bit of cynicism there:l
Obviously not a boarder @GPSobserver???
All you do is kick the footy around, throw the cricket ball around, train and study. Still better than sitting around on an everwidening backside of a lot of youth today.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The spirit of the existing code of conduct?
Then you wouldn't support kids training 4-5 mornings & 4-5 afternoon field sessions every week?
We won't mention the video sessions during the day,or the compulsory Sunday recovery sessions shall we?
Or the occasional 2 to 13 mercenaries in the main team every week!
You are like the armed robber,suggesting to the jay walker they are the same,as they both broke the law!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think SGS have a spare trophy cabinet. May want a Spray and Wipe as it hasn't been used for a while.

That's cold considering they are number 3 on the all time GPS rugby premiership list with 18

My dearest paddo good to have you back: I know you can be counted on for these (hopefully) deliberately wrong and inflammatory observations. Remember the Rennie - unless you were at Bellevue Hill in 79 (i.e. 35 years ago) you won't have seen it in the flesh (I have) unless you were there in 64.
I haven't counted them up lately but I think they are 3 on the rowing too: here's a link, I'll let you count them (take your shoes and socks off).
Another little known fact actually relevant to this site: Grammar has produced more wallaby captains than any other school 2 of whom (Wallace - who played 10 and rowed in 3 winning 1st VIIIs and Ross (15)) took a role in teaching Cyril Towers how to play running rugby in the 1927/28 Waratahs team.
Dwyer credits Towers with explaining to him his theory of back line play using the flat alignment.
So whatever its current state, and given Edmund Barton's role in the establishment of the Southern Union (the forerunner to the NSWRU), I think you may have underestimated the school's contribution to the game in this country.
Finally: do not get in a sideline debate with old fella if you know what's good for you.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
two immediate issues I see is needing a bigger trophy cabinet, and how can he be cross at kids when they just keep smiling.

Although I don't think that the basketball trophy is heading for Bellevue Hill and I suspect that the Director of Basketball won' be smiling too much either.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
I was told last night by a Scots staff member that Lambert will be making an announcement shortly and possibly two heads will roll at TSC. In regards to the matter drawing to a close, Tarlinton was able to present to TSC over the past two months enough evidence that refuted Scots position of total denial. I feel that the heads are giving Lambert a soft out by not pressuring him in the press. Newington though will be next I presume as more cases come to light. I even have a NC sports scholarship student living two doors away from me.

I think you are sincerley wrong in presuming Newington will be next. By this though i am not claiming they are innocent by any means re scholarships.

For the 'Heads' to go after Scots they needed to be sure of their position from a number of standpoints, including defensively. Clearly they were comfortable 'going for it' re Scots. It is equally clear re Newington they were not comfortable 'going for it'. As i think we all know the AAGPS Code of practice was reviewed in November 2013. Several significant additions to the first half of format were made. My understanding is that these changes were made because of Newington's INSISTANCE on them.

I think one can deduce from this why the other 'Heads' are not going to pursue Newington re scholarships.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What are those significant additions?
Apart from this one
A spirit of Cupertino in the context of the healthy competition between our schools.
Screen Shot 2014-02-14 at 10.14.51 am.png

I had to capture it (a) because no one would believe me otherwise and (b) I'm sure the author lurks on these boards
http://www.aagps.nsw.edu.au/info/code.html
Obviously a lot of time was spent getting the wording spot on!

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
IS well spotted! Unbelievable really, but i think you are right re the author and hence perhaps it will get corrected shortly....

I am perhaps a tad to cryptic but one has to be somewhat careful.

To be slightly more open; Whilst this thread is about 'Scholarships' (which i have no strong views on either way) i don't believe the subject has necessarily been the biggest bone of contention at all the schools that this thread has assumed it to be. Don't get me wrong the 'Scholarships' debate is still very topical, the press has been all over the subject and certainly letters have been sent to parents, boycotts etc.....

I think it is clear that there have been other significant and news worthy breaches in and around the 'code of practice' that are not being discussed in the public domain, or here, due to very sensitive reasons / possible outcomes.

I think behind the scenes, and possibly at Newingtons instigation several GPS schools are now rectifying the situation quietly. I don't think the schools would want this in the press.

As per my previous post it is simply my opinion that the other schools could look pretty silly going at Newington re scholarships in light of this. Newington might lob something back.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS well spotted! Unbelievable really, but i think you are right re the author and hence perhaps it will get corrected shortly..

I am perhaps a tad to cryptic but one has to be somewhat careful.

To be slightly more open; Whilst this thread is about 'Scholarships' (which i have no strong views on either way) i don't believe the subject has necessarily been the biggest bone of contention at all the schools that this thread has assumed it to be. Don't get me wrong the 'Scholarships' debate is still very topical, the press has been all over the subject and certainly letters have been sent to parents, boycotts etc...

I think it is clear that there have been other significant and news worthy breaches in and around the 'code of practice' that are not being discussed in the public domain, or here, due to very sensitive reasons / possible outcomes.

I think behind the scenes, and possibly at Newingtons instigation several GPS schools are now rectifying the situation quietly. I don't think the schools would want this in the press.

As per my previous post it is simply my opinion that the other schools could look pretty silly going at Newington re scholarships in light of this. Newington might lob something back.

Even more cryptic.
I was going to suggest that Cuppertino was a deliberate reference to the famous computer company based there and that an Apple a day would keep a doctor away but then i realised they're all bloody doctors!

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
Spirit of Cupertino is in common usage amongst social entrepreneurs and means playful innovation with out the fear of failure. Scholarships don't meet this criteria, and certainly nor does ganging up and refusing to play someone else. The split in the teams whereby the bottom 3 schools 1s play the other schools 3rds doesn't either, unless there is a relegation from the top to the second tier.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In think that providence is on to something about the Newington issue. If he's correct in saying that the others agreed to changes suggested by Newington, that would tend to support that thesis.

I think that the Scots scenario was so systematic and institutionalised that it united the others as did Lambert's unilateral denials in private and public.

I'd like providence to be clearer about the other issues of which he speaks, but he makes a darn sight more sense that our old friend beserker:).

GPS Observer

Herbert Moran (7)
This thread thrives on gossip and innuendo.
Thre's no point in airing Newington's or any other schools positions....that's the job of the headmasters.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Indeed, Cupertino has been changed to cooperation. I found the following interesting in that non-teachers and basketball receive special mention
COACHES

1. All coaches (and particularly those who are not on the teaching staff) should ensure that they are fully aware of the expectations and practices of the school in which they are coaching. Coaches should remember that school sport plays an important role in a boy's education and is for the benefit of boys rather than adults.
  2. Leadership and responsibility on the part of the captain should be encouraged. Coaches should refrain from running every detail or interjecting from the sidelines. (It is acknowledged that traditions and practices differ between, say, basketball on the one hand and, on the other, cricket and rugby.)