• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You need to put up or shut up ...............
You are being tiresome, anytime a boy's name is mentioned you claim they are full fee paying. Then you say they are on academic scholarships, then you accuse the poster of racism.
You obviously go to the School, go and ask ANY of the new recruits to the 15A's last year how they got there.
I know the School is actively asking people to nominate talented Rugby kids for next year, seems like some of last years recruits have proven to be disappointments.

T

The Blindside

You are being tiresome, anytime a boy's name is mentioned you claim they are full fee paying. Then you say they are on academic scholarships, then you accuse the poster of racism.
You obviously go to the School, go and ask ANY of the new recruits to the 15A's last year how they got there.
I know the School is actively asking people to nominate talented Rugby kids for next year, seems like some of last years recruits have proven to be disappointments.

At least I don't post rumour and innuendo. I post the FACTS which probably doesn't suit guys like you.

I

International Badboy

unless you have names don't make rash statements please

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
On the contrary I think you should let anonymous posters make slanderous, uninformed remarks. It lends massive weight to the fact that many are uncomfortable with the rise of schools they deem not to have an illustrious Rugby pedigree. Changing landscapes have never been popular with luddites

It would be unfair to the child to name him. Its informed by the child's mother: she'd know wouldn't she? Let's see if this kid doesn't pop up in 4th term.......More to the point the arms race is making the competition more and more irrelevant - who cares if X school won the comp when there are only 3 other teams bolstering their ranks in the off season so as to be able to make a game of it in the next?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not just one as I hear it. NSW schools had 5 CHS now it has just 3 as 2 are now GPS.

he was one of the CHS....obsessed as I am with the game they play in heaven I cannot see why this is the holy grail for the schools involved. In the USA there is TV coverage so presumably there is money paid to the schools (as there is in NCAA) which justifies the school's investment in the football program: the money is used for other sports. This is why the US colleges have such fantastic non-football facilities (as well as fantastic football facilities). I think they also have a rule that if you transfer schools (even from one side of the country to the other) you have to sit out a year.......food for thought

U

unclechester

That page also seems to think St Joseph's have close to 2000 students...they barely make 900

D

Dingdong

I am informed Taane Milne is now attending Newington

Ok....good luck to him. Must say a little suprised as Schools coach (also New coach ) "hooked" him after very noticeable attacking and defensive errors against SJ's a couple of weeks ago.

F

Finland Fella

Milne and Tepai Morea will make a more than useful centres combination.

Absolutely ! And alongside Joey Lussick and Alex Vlahos they have a bevvy of gun leaguies out wide.

F

Finland Fella

Schools giving out scholarships creates un-level playing field and is fair to say as "cheating". In the GPS, Riverview, Shore, Grammar dont give out scholarships and they are vary successful on all sporting fields (except for grammar). Shore and Riverview form the nucleus of there 1st XV in the 13A's and work with those group of boys for the following 6 years in developing and enhancing their skills.

That's what all the schools do - believe it or not, even the Newington 1stXV has a core of players who've come right through from their Year 7 or 8 teams.

... and can someone explain how Riverview manage to always come out looking so angellic in these recruitment discussions. Surely the Riverina kid who came to the Sharks at the beginning of the year and also lobs at Riverview (for 3 seasons in their Ones) is in the same catagory as a Tepai or Taane Milne at New' ????

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
So now it's the "core"of the team?
What is the definition of core?
Given that they are still recruiting for 2013, core could end up meaning the ballboy joined in year 7!
one kid lobbing at View does not come close to the cynical attitude of recruiting over 1/2 a team in years 9 & 10 for 2013.

F

Finland Fella

So now it's the "core"of the team?
What is the definition of core?
Given that they are still recruiting for 2013, core could end up meaning the ballboy joined in year 7!
one kid lobbing at View does not come close to the cynical attitude of recruiting over 1/2 a team in years 9 & 10 for 2013.

Half a team in year 9. A whole team in Year 7 - six of one, half a dozen of the uvver ...
My only point with the Riverview fella is there's precious little scrutiny sent Lane Cove way.
So if you recruit two or three it seems to be ok, but double it and yer silvertailing the comp ???? Is that the gist of the bellyache ?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Recruiting NZ Style

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10747658

An extract from a series of articles I stumbled upon in the NZ herald on Schoolboy rugby.
"We've been behind the eight-ball in terms of recruiting. There was a quarter-page ad in the Otago Daily Times, placed by Christ's College up in Christchurch, willing to pay props to go to their school. In our paper. And St Bede's, who are the benchmark for the South Island at the moment, are very big recruiters, with a very big chequebook."

Status
Not open for further replies.