• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The Principal will ensure that all staff members are required to refrain from any conduct which could constitute a breach of the GPS Code of Conduct regarding enrolments. In particular, staff will need to undertake in their contracts of employment an obligation such as the following:

"I will not approach students from other schools, including offering any kind of inducement or third party consideration, to encourage them to seek enrolment at the College."

Interesting clause to place into an employment contract. Presumably this was widespread and required written notification to cease the practice.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
The Principal will ensure that all staff members are required to refrain from any conduct which could constitute a breach of the GPS Code of Conduct regarding enrolments. In particular, staff will need to undertake in their contracts of employment an obligation such as the following:

"I will not approach students from other schools, including offering any kind of inducement or third party consideration, to encourage them to seek enrolment at the College."

Interesting clause to place into an employment contract. Presumably this was widespread and required written notification to cease the practice.

You just cannot validly make a presumption the practice is "widespread", because of the insertion of such a clause. It could be argued that the school is trying to ensure there is transparency, accountability and clear boundaries for staff in this regard. I think it is fair however, to assume that because of some actual and/or perceived level of such practices in the past, the school has seen fit to ensure that such practices (at any level) don't occur into the future. I have seen clauses in employment contracts about drug use and sexual harassment, but it would be grossly inaccurate to say that because of the insertion of such clauses, there is a presumption that such activity in the relevant workplace was "widespread".

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
I posted Dr Lambert's letter out of interest in other people's outside views. While I think schoolboy sport is a very important part of growing up I don't have a lot of interest in who is playing who or who wins etc.

Too my mind there would not be a lot of point Scots putting out very publicly a new policy to address everyone's concerns if it didn't cover all sins of which it is accused so I hope we will not spend the next 1000 posts dissecting each word. I was extremely interested in the comments of all the contributors closely aligned to other GPS schools that those schools are yet to implement their own policies in this area.

The other one I have been struggling with is "Fact 2". Not being familiar with players means I could not identify from the NSW Schools site who was from which school. Australian representatives from the GPS hail from Joeys and New (2) Scots and Riverview. What I find a bit odd is that there is an all conquering school team based upon the recruitment of champions but the Australian team has no place for a bunch of them.

I would hope G&G is putting up a dozen of Grange for the poster of #5000

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
1st XV 2nd XV White Blue Reserves
Prop M Laimani (N) H Fotukava (I) J Bowditch (I) A Hall (K) O Stump (E)
Hooker M Serhon (N) E Pritchard (I) T Horton (J) J Burke (K) M Maloney (G)
Prop V Fifita (N) J Sedgman (S) L Muir (E) J Lee (K)
2nd Row R McCauley (S) N Gittoes (J) J Preece (E) K Wingti (J) C Allison (K)
2nd Row B Petterson (I) T Piroddi (N) T Rudolf (S) N Brown (K)
B/Away M Girdler (S) J Hayson (I) H Taylor (K) J Doyle (E) H Wrench (E)
B/Away C Menzies (I) J Woodhill (E) C Clifford (N) T Deer (S)
Lock A Crichton (S C Smith (S) J Digby (G) D Ballantyne (K)
Half T Strang (S) N Duffy (J) H Emery (E) L Condon (I) M Long (N)
Five Eigth J McGregor (I) C O’Shea (J) J Mackie (G) C Harris (K)
Wing G Porter (S) S Kennewell (N) M Dowsett (E) J Prindiville (S)
IC D England (S) L Latinipulu (N A Sheldon (G) C King (E) N Stubbs (K)
OC H Hutchinson (I) W McDonnell (J) T McCutcheon (J) H Kemball (E)
Wing T Wright (J) C Hurley (I) M Hendrie (S) T McBryde (I) W Ball (N)
F/Back B Freeman (I) S Tarogi (N) B Tan (G) J Richards (K)
Total
Scots 6 2 2 2 0 12
Riverview 5 4 1 2 0 12
Newington 3 4 1 0 2 10
Kings 0 0 1 7 2 10
Shore 0 1 4 3 2 10
Joeys 1 4 2 1 0 8
Grammar 0 0 4 0 1 5

The above is a breakup for the GPS rep sides which may be of assistance.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Formatting didn't work too well on the above however 1st XV are the first column, 2nd XV second column etc. The numbers underneath for each school show the number of reps in each section including reserves and then the total number.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
GPS 1st XV
M Laimani (N) M Serhon (N) V Fifita (N) R McCauley (S) B Petterson (I) M Girdler (S) C Menzies (I) A Crichton (S) T Strang (S) J McGregor (I) S Tarogi (N)
D England (S) H Hutchinson (I) T Wright (J) B Freeman (I)
Training Thursday 19th June 3.30 p.m. at Scots College
Game v CHS 1st Friday 20th at 3.15 p.m.

GPS 2nd XV
H Fotukava (I) E Pritchard (I) J Sedgman (S) N Gittoes (J) T Piroddi (N) J Hayson (I) J Woodhill (E) C Smith (S) N Duffy (J) C O’Shea (J) S Kennewell (N) L Latinipulu (N) W McDonnell (J) J Prindiville (S) C Hurley (I)
Training Thursday 19th June 3.30 p.m. at St Ignatius College
Game v CHS 2 at 2.00 p.m.

GPS WHITE
J Bowditch (I) T Horton (J) L Muir (E) J Preece (E) T Rudolf (S) H Taylor (K) C Clifford (N) J Digby (G) H Emery (E) J Mackie (G) M Dowsett (E) N Stubbs (K) T McHutcheon (J) M Hendrie (S) B Tan (G)
NO Training
Game v CCC at 11.30 a.m.

GPS BLUE
A Hall (K) J Burke (K) J Lee (K) K Wingti (J) N Brown (K) J Doyle (E) T Deer (S) D Ballantyne (K) L Condon (I) A Sheldon (G) Eurini-Bennett (N) C King (E) H Kemball (E) T McBryde (I) W Ball (N)
Reserves
O Stump (E) M Maloney (G) C Allison (K) H Wrench (E) M Long (N)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
^^^^ Post 5001 is a good number to snag @Inside Shoulder. :)

I'm waiting to see if I can be out moderated, and another mod "adjusts" the 5000 post count.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
On the subject of the 101-0 drubbing. I immediately think of the total mismatch with forward packs clubbed into submission by bigger boys and backs just running over the top of the opposition.

I just looked at the video on this site and it is amazing that the first period of the game is dominated by Newington and their scrum seemed to push Scots around for most of the game. Nearly all of the Scots tries were long distance and resulted from Newington errors and what looked to a clumsy front rower to be some quite well executed backline moves putting players into space compounded by good backing up, fitness and some speed.

It could be that the individuals are so fast and so good but that flies in the face of the representative selections which indicate in numbers that players are spread across schools. Scots defence was also strong when Newington attacked. All in all a lot of good team play which probably was helped by some poor tackling at times.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Was there not a similar GPS arguement in Queens land about scholarships a year or two ago. Much heat in the media etc. What happened?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
On the subject of the 101-0 drubbing. I immediately think of the total mismatch with forward packs clubbed into submission by bigger boys and backs just running over the top of the opposition.

I just looked at the video on this site and it is amazing that the first period of the game is dominated by Newington and their scrum seemed to push Scots around for most of the game. Nearly all of the Scots tries were long distance and resulted from Newington errors and what looked to a clumsy front rower to be some quite well executed backline moves putting players into space compounded by good backing up, fitness and some speed.

It could be that the individuals are so fast and so good but that flies in the face of the representative selections which indicate in numbers that players are spread across schools. Scots defence was also strong when Newington attacked. All in all a lot of good team play which probably was helped by some poor tackling at times.

I think that you are correct with this. On paper, one would never have expected this match to be the 100 pointer. No doubt one side played poorly and the other side played very well. Regardless of the issues raised on this thread, Scots are a high quality rugby team and their success has surprised no-one.