• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
8255fa2511f5cd3d952d63be72011d7a.jpg

a shot of me trying to get into the Balcony area

that is Armchair and Joker

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joker you haven't picked on $cots biggest joke . "The Balcony" . what other school thinks it normal to charge a $50 entry fee, and have your view from 4 floors up, where you can sip on Champers, snack on cavair with some of the Eastern Suburbs biggest tossers . all the while ruminating as to where you will take little Wilbur once he has survived his 6 months at Glengarry

Oh yes, this will be given some treatment in 2019.
For those who don't know, here it is in action.

10698400_767981749907449_6848054833828406752_n.jpg

1098422_586235671415392_838716199_n.jpg

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Noted. Hard to let go of something that was so effective. Suggestions are welcome. At this time I am considering the following themes for Scots College 2019.

1. Terminator
2. Lord Sauron and the orcs from LOTR
3. Matrix?

I think it's fair to say that not winning this year was a major shock, must be some demons to expel.

1. The Exorcist.

Or maybe it's back to the very basics.

1. The Flintstones.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Guys,

There has just appeared a 4 min highlights reel on Youtube on Luca Moretti.

If you are interested have a look, as a Waves supporter, hard to see him go, but I don't suspect his opponents will agree.

Enjoy a serious footy player.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
wlf, what u talking about?

You are on the wrong thread. This is the bagging $cots thread and trash talking Lord Lambert.

Luca goes great ... but trust me he isn’t on a scholarship .

Chooks got him nice and cheap... he should of got a better agent... is my mail

Get some of that paper bag money... Crichton might point him in right direction

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
wlf, what u talking about?

You are on the wrong thread. This is the bagging $cots thread and trash talking Lord Lambert.

Luca goes great . but trust me he isn’t on a scholarship .

Chooks got him nice and cheap. he should of got a better agent. is my mail

Get some of that paper bag money. Crichton might point him in right direction

Yes SDW, I know what thread it is but wasn't sure what to put it on, seemed to me this was the thread of the moment,
anyway, I am sure people will pick it up.

I also know Luca wasn't on a scholarship, never was, and no doubt about that.

I have also heard last week that the Waratahs fighting fund is luring him, and some others.

I think he will stay in union to 1 day destroy those across the ditch!

If my sources are correct, I assume plenty of us will be happy with that decision.

We need his type to win.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I'll make this the last for 2018.
Gotta save some special spices for next years cooking pot. In the meantime...savor this final morsel

2gpzhs.jpg

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
wLF, wow you got big wraps on him.

Ok he is a dual international... and that is not that common

good stuff if rah rah is trying to retain him. Rugby needs all the talent it can hang onto

But time will tell how good he is. How tall is ... guessing 188 cm tops.

More important how resilient is he? Time will tell... so far so good

But if you comparing to players from across the ditch ... you got to look at what’s coming down the kiwi pipeline

Exhibit A ....Shannon Frizell ... brother of st George 1st grader (and origin player) tyson Frizell

He is playing union ... and he’d be 195 cm, and fast and with a big motor

So not sure I am as confident...that the kiwis are paying much attention

then again I love your passion ... and no doubt you want ur own lads to follow Luca’s fine example

And I agree hope the likes of Moretti give Union a longer go

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Post by Quickhands from 2019 AAGPS thread:

Perhaps it may interest you to know that of the current Newington 14A team; 9 boys came from the two prep schools and the other 6 are all either sons of old boys or siblings.

The 13As have a similar makeup.

Not surprising since of the 220 places available in Year 7, 100 boys move from Wyvern and another 50 from Lindfield, with approximately another 50 going to sons/grandsons of old boys and siblings.

I could go on, but it would be pointless.

Five or ten years ago I would have agreed with your general premise, but I'm afraid I can't at the moment.

So QH,

Are you saying there are no selective enrolments (and/or inducements) at Newington into the senior school that would be intended to give the Rugby program an advantage (perhaps "unfair" ) over competing schools?

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

R

RuggerFan1

Whats wrong with the balcony? All the money goes to the rugby support group. Fair dinkum!

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Whats wrong with the balcony? All the money goes to the rugby support group. Fair dinkum!

Yes I know. The RSG do not spend all that money on balls and tackle bags either. Some of it ends up 'assisting' players of interest and hence it bypasses the scholarship question. I recall that the average fund raising of Scots Rugby was approx $250K per year from not only these events, but sponsorship with local companies, advertising in the match day program and so forth. I myself was once a special guest on that balcony. I was fortunate I did not have to pay $75 for the chance to look down on the great unwashed below. (I would have been in the old boys beer tent if I could..that was going off!)

Picture of remaining Scots community hoping a small cocktail pie will fall down below to them.

p31_24574669.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So QH,

Are you saying there are no selective enrolments (and/or inducements) at Newington into the senior school that would be intended to give the Rugby program an advantage (perhaps "unfair" ) over competing schools?

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm saying that I'm not aware of any evidence of it (which in the past I was and I criticised the practice if you care to go back over this thread).

I'm also saying that the evidence of results of the past 2 seasons - 1 win in 2017 and 2 wins in 2018 would suggest that there's no particular evidence of large number of players being brought in to secure premierships. There appears to me to be no appreciable alteration in performance in terms of improvement to any year group from that which would have been expected, based on previous years' results. In fact, the current Year 12 were undefeated when they were 13As.

From my observations of this thread and elsewhere, it would seem that every school has students who arrive at various stages during the 6 years of high school, and some of these appear in high grade teams - but others don't. Their presence at every school says to me that it is unfair in the extreme for one or two schools to be singled out while others seem to get a free pass.

As to getting an unfair advantage - that would imply that one or more schools were doing something which the others, broadly speaking, aren't. In at least 5 of the 6 schools in GPS firsts, I don't think that this is the case.

R

RuggerFan1

Yes I know. The RSG do not spend all that money on balls and tackle bags either. Some of it ends up 'assisting' players of interest and hence it bypasses the scholarship question. I recall that the average fund raising of Scots Rugby was approx $250K per year from not only these events, but sponsorship with local companies, advertising in the match day program and so forth. I myself was once a special guest on that balcony. I was fortunate I did not have to pay $75 for the chance to look down on the great unwashed below. (I would have been in the old boys beer tent if I could..that was going off!)

Picture of remaining Scots community hoping a small cocktail pie will fall down below to them.

p31_24574669.jpg

Joker you seem to know alot of people and have gone to many functions. Make me wanna call bullshit,

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Rugerfan, we are just taking the piss

If truth be known I’d be happy to tuck into the spread

And I am sure there are some good sorts in there ...albeit high maintenance $cots mums

You should of said ... all proceeds go to drought relief, then we would be all embarrassed for our silliness

Must admit that jokers I vory tower does look damn cool ...although no way the “Bellevue hill residents against anything Scots does ” will be having anything to do with it

Status
Not open for further replies.