• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I'm not going to keep coming here and clean up your crap. Keep up the personal attackes and I will lock the thread.
Nah fuck it Sull.
Let the kiddies throw the toys out of their respective cots. It’s been way worse than this.
You guys know that and the senior lads do too.
I haven’t been on here for quite a while due to the dumb shit that spews from these posters, but in a schadenfuede kind of way, am enjoying the vitriol

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
I can agree fully with those comments, to often this site attracts vulgar upstart cyber trolls, who are neither interested or care about Schoolboy Rugby. Rather their intent is to attack those of us who wish, to have an intelligent discussion and in turn, the site becomes one of abuse. Regrettably, in order to expose two of these low life trolls, I had to resort to some pretty unpleasant language. But those two were typical Cyber Trolls, nasty, vicious and burden with deep seated emotional issues.Both are in need of immediate professional help, in the area of mental health. Consequently, polite debate would have been lost on them.

The Mods know who these Cyber Trolls are, as do most us. Therefore, what is required is bit of house cleaning from you gentlemen, to establish some professional, educated and gentrified behaviour on this site. Its the standard of behaviour I see at Newington, I expect nothing less from Green and Gold.

Hence, for those of us who attended these wonderful schools, there is a expectation of an atmosphere one might find at a properly run independent school. Unfortunately, it is very obvious that these Cyber Trolls never attended such schools. And doesn't it show in their woeful educational standards, socially dysfunctional language, incoherent writing. And of course the most obvious, their lack of proper good manners. So Mods save the site from these badly brought up bogans.

Example, when one of these deranged and emotionally damaged individuals, is constantly abusing other members of Green and Gold. Sideline and Southsider experienced this hatred and it is unacceptable. Its tolerate in the work place, schools in the media, Hence it is unacceptable on Green and Gold. So do what Headmasters do with a bad behaving child which, expel them from the site permanently.

So to our Mods, I ask you to embark on a level of discipline that will create a site that Green & Gold can be proud of.This requires proactive leadership from you gentlemen. No point in applying, "A one fits all approach", it doesn't work, instead, be selective in identifying a particular culprit and then simply make them disappear from the site.

I make no apologies for sounding like a Headmaster, but having been a Boarding House Master, House Tutor, Boys Mentor and of course a Rugby Coach, I know what needs to be done on this site.

WOW! BTW Sir, your grammar could do with a bit of touching up. Cheers

PS A mate of was on your council for many years and he was quite unapologetic about the real purpose of your all-rounder scholarships.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
WOW! BTW Sir, your grammar could do with a bit of touching up. Cheers

PS A mate of was on your council for many years and he was quite unapologetic about the real purpose of your all-rounder scholarships.

No I changed my mind I will reply

"Grammar" is that the best you can do, a small minded comment by an individual who clearly is out of his intellectual depth, as proven by your past comments. I predicted that a habitual Cyber Troll, such as yourself, would seek a revenge post.Simple fact, your first post was a display of a hysterical individual, who lost it and clearly was humiliating for yourself.

The second post about poor people, not being suitable for independent schools, displays a very disgusting state of mind that is UnAustralian in the extreme. Tell me does this attitude extend to people of other races.

As for your comment about the Newington School Council being pro sport and pro scholarship, my reply is "so what". Good on them, and I would support the council fully. Keep it up New Council, if its upsetting certain people you are doing the right thing.

But ultimately you wrote those two tragically and sad posts and if they embarrass you, well the problem is yours and yours alone.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
abandon-hope-all-ye-who-enter-here.png

S

sidelineview

Anyway .... here we go again.
Someone bringing up the Kurtley Beale thing to support the existence of scholarships (sensible ones), but what a lift it would have given that whole school, including Old Boys when it was discovered that this shy Koori kid was a champion rugby player.

Not to mention how it improved Beale's life and gave hope to a lot of other young Koori kids.

1st XV rugby is such a huge deal for private schools isn't it; and if the team is successful it sets up a euphoria within the whole school and relevant community. Huge crowds flock to the home games and create an atmosphere that is unique to schoolboy rugby. For the 1st XV players it's an unforgettable experience; one which can have life long positive benefits.

How many years did Beale play 1sts? 3 or 4?
Many people will still talk about watching him play for the school and recount stories.

As Joker pointed out, Beale's not the only kid to have benefitted from the Joey's indigenous scholarship scheme and not the only kid to have played 1st XV and gone onto pursue a rugby career post school.

It does happen from other schools as well.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Anyway .. here we go again.
Someone bringing up the Kurtley Beale thing to support the existence of scholarships (sensible ones), but what a lift it would have given that whole school, including Old Boys when it was discovered that this shy Koori kid was a champion rugby player.

Not to mention how it improved Beale's life and gave hope to a lot of other young Koori kids.

1st XV rugby is such a huge deal for private schools isn't it; and if the team is successful it sets up a euphoria within the whole school and relevant community. Huge crowds flock to the home games and create an atmosphere that is unique to schoolboy rugby. For the 1st XV players it's an unforgettable experience; one which can have life long positive benefits.

How many years did Beale play 1sts? 3 or 4?
Many people will still talk about watching him play for the school and recount stories.

As Joker pointed out, Beale's not the only kid to have benefitted from the Joey's indigenous scholarship scheme and not the only kid to have played 1st XV and gone onto pursue a rugby career post school.

It does happen from other schools as well.

Thank you, Sidelineview, for bring your compassion, a sense of social justice and basic common sense to this site. There should be more comments such as this.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
So much for complying with the AAGPS' Code of Practice.

Code of Practice
In the light of these principles, the GPS Headmasters affirm the following code of practice:

1. No inducements such as sporting scholarships, whether direct, disguised, or at arm’s length, shall be offered by any member school. Financial assistance to talented sportsmen shall not form part of the enrolment strategy of any member school.
  2. We affirm that the Headmaster of each school is responsible for knowing the special circumstances relating to the admission of boys to his school.
But hey, you are a school that upholds the highest moral standards.
Hi pot, meet kettle. :confused:

it is an interesting concept though, why are academic or music scholarships allowed but not sport? Music especially has many similar benefits to the college and the student that sport does

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
So much for complying with the AAGPS' Code of Practice.

Code of Practice
In the light of these principles, the GPS Headmasters affirm the following code of practice:

1. No inducements such as sporting scholarships, whether direct, disguised, or at arm’s length, shall be offered by any member school. Financial assistance to talented sportsmen shall not form part of the enrolment strategy of any member school.
  2. We affirm that the Headmaster of each school is responsible for knowing the special circumstances relating to the admission of boys to his school.
But hey, you are a school that upholds the highest moral standards.

Hi pot, meet kettle. :confused:

Okay, can you plums take this offline. Just shutup unless you have something new to add to the thread. Trolling is really the lowest form of internet dialogue. Grow up.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
it is an interesting concept though, why are academic or music scholarships allowed but not sport? Music especially has many similar benefits to the college and the student that sport does

In my humble opinion, the fact is the music, drama and academic scholarships has only the student compete against one's self, where a student on a sport scholarship is there purely to compete for the school against another school in an organized competition.This is why you never see sports scholarships for individual activities just TEAM sports.

There are no GPS premierships for a school to point to for best violin, 1st place in Latin or 3 Unit Drama. The public relations benefits to the school for a student on a music scholarship are far less than four imported players who help win a GPS rugby premiership.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
In my humble opinion, the fact is the music, drama and academic scholarships has only the student compete against one's self, where a student on a sport scholarship is there purely to compete for the school against another school in an organized competition.This is why you never see sports scholarships for individual activities just TEAM sports.

There are no GPS premierships for a school to point to for best violin, 1st place in Latin or 3 Unit Drama. The public relations benefits to the school for a student on a music scholarship are far less than four imported players who help win a GPS rugby premiership.

I’m not 1000% sure because I was never involved in music but I’m pretty sure the bands compete against each other in musical comps, and the students Defs at times compete against each other as individuals at competitions representing their schools. Granted the prestige isn’t the same but I guess at a base level it’s still the same concept

I’m not sure the PR implications should be considered as a negative against sport though, it’s not sports fault that it is more popular than music

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Joker, I am trying to be good, but the Cyber Trolls they are just so stupid.
They made me do it. They made me do it. Its all their fault. Honestly

Maybe if we ban Lobotomies on the lower North Shore, some sanity can emerge.

If we going to have this site with all its bitchness, we must also start developing a sense of humour. Thanks to Quick Hands and Joker for taking the piss out on this site.

2oqw17.jpg

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
.....sorry just to add, CAS schools do not have a ban on the practice of sporting scholarships. They have been doing this years. In recent times they have become more aggressive in their approach, in particular Trinity with rugby. In the 1970's Waverley was known for poaching swimmers from other schools, including Joeys of all places.

Status
Not open for further replies.