• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Finally, academic and music scholarships are quite small in number, whereas from what we have seen a significant number of boys are involved in sport - specifically Scots in multiple sports and Newington (possibly only in the 150th year team) in rugby.

I can tell you there are a number of u15's kids - less 1 who recently moved to NZ - who would appear to be other than organic members of the school community.

It is interesting to see some of the New parents who are beneficiaries of the inducement gloating at Scots discomfort on Facebook and swapping their recruitment stories.

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
I can tell you there are a number of u15's kids - less 1 who recently moved to NZ - who would appear to be other than organic members of the school community.

Also didn't the New U13's destroy anyone and anything in their path this year. Organically brilliant, or are we talking Kurtley Beale Organic?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You're a braver man then me IS!
The results speak for themselves and there has been a net loss of talented sportsman from that school.
Anyway I am confident partly for the same reason there has been no suggestion of the Wallabies being caught up in the scandal of performance enhancing drugs.

However, i expect the mud to be slung in 2014 when the Newington 14As captain turns up at college street!

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
The results speak for themselves and there has been a net loss of talented sportsman from that school.
Anyway I am confident partly for the same reason there has been no suggestion of the Wallabies being caught up in the scandal of performance enhancing drugs.

However, i expect the mud to be slung in 2014 when the Newington 14As captain turns up at college street!

IS, assuming you speak of the men from College Street, i would have to say you amke a very damning point when comparing them to our national "heroes". I for one would be more then happy to see the New skipper pop up at College Street next year, would also be happy to see their headmaster acknowledge sports as something that deserves his attention. I remember when Grammar would constantly stick it to the other schools and even had some GPS representation. Would love to see this again, and think Grammar could benefit alot from bringing some talented athletes to their school. It would allow the schools senior teams to be competative, and would also let the balance of boys (lets assume 60% min) to build a team and develop their skills. Look at how often a persons skills will develop faster and better when playing with better peers!

I for one would be allin support of Grammar and Shore handing out 5 or 6 talented athlete support packages (bursaries for those that way inclined) to bolster their numbers.

Watching the GPS rugby this year slightly increased my optimism that running rugby, and real passion for what you do isn't yet dead. I'd hate for the boffins running the sandstone palaces to ruin this.

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
The key is in transparency as IS is quick to put forward.
Level playing fields are a utopian thought and impossible to enforce/control/create
  • Boarding ratios: greater success due to the bonding (hee hee) and ability to train at more times (even if its just touch)
  • School numbers; View has 240 in year 8, kings 170 that's 4 and half potential teams
  • Geography: rugby mad north shore versus soccer/art/latte admiring inner west
  • Fees: for the RC's - View charges $15k, Joeys $25k
  • Indigenous and other cultural scholarships not going to the most needy, but the best in sport
Need to go on. Hopefully the schools will put some 'meat' on the scholarship/bursary position and provide some clear transparent rules. the professionalism of sport requires it. The days of a running an amateur sports program are close to a 'Victorian ideal'

Although the 'gang of 5' has just cancelled their meetings with Scots.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

It is interesting to see some of the New parents who are beneficiaries of the inducement gloating at Scots discomfort on Facebook and swapping their recruitment stories.
You may be right about 15s, but I was at Stanmore to watch New v Shore and the 15As result was on the score board. I can't remember the score, I can remember that New won but it certainly wasn't a lopsided score from my recollection. And 15As this year at Shore is quite weak (lost to Scots minus Glengarry boys). It may be the type of recruiting that Dr Hawkes advocates? (Let's call it goldilocks recruiting; not too hot, not too cold, but juuuuust right :))

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You slipped this bit in at the end,like it has little significance?
I would have thought that is a serious turn for the worse for Dr L?
I wonder who cancelled it? It does seem a bad sign for Dr L - assuming that the others have held their ground. Dr L certainly seems to have dug in for a bit of trench warfare. Newington, Scots and High playing each other every week should be fascinating.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Also didn't the New U13's destroy anyone and anything in their path this year.
I remember from the GPS thread that they were undefeated, as were the Riverview 14As who were even more dominant. I also recollect that the Scots v New 13As was very close - played at Woollahra Oval?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>
Would love to see this again, and think Grammar could benefit alot from bringing some talented athletes to their school. It would allow the schools senior teams to be competative, and would also let the balance of boys (lets assume 60% min) to build a team and develop their skills. Look at how often a persons skills will develop faster and better when playing with better peers!

I for one would be allin support of Grammar and Shore handing out 5 or 6 talented athlete support packages (bursaries for those that way inclined) to bolster their numbers.

<snip>

Why should Grammar (and shore) have to compromise principles to be competitive?

By all accounts Grammar had a competitive series of games this year in the AAGPS Third Tier competition.
In previous years Grammar has had some very competitive games against the likes of some CAS and ISA teams like Aloys, Andrews, Redlands and Pius. Without needing to compromise on principles, the Grammar sports master has provided the boys with games that meet the objectives of games within their curriculum.

Tradition is very important in classic education in the Private School System, but what traditions do you follow and embrace?
The traditions of Honesty and ethics and games for education and character development sake, or
The tradition of we have always played games against them, and we once shared the view of the role of games within a learning environment.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip> Newington, Scots and High playing each other every week should be fascinating.

Basketball is a silly sport anyway. Designed for coordinated second rowers and few others.

All that ghetto culture with stupid long baggy pants and oversized singlets, high fives and individualistic FIGJAM slam dunking.

Cut it adrift from AAGPS like waterpolo and play in a combined all schools competition.

Problem goes away.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

I'm not at all.
Hugh Jarse is spot on: its your principles that matter you give them up and you become a week to week proposition where you are only as worthy as your last game

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
Why should Grammar (and shore) have to compromise principles to be competitive?

By all accounts Grammar had a competitive series of games this year in the AAGPS Third Tier competition.
In previous years Grammar has had some very competitive games against the likes of some CAS and ISA teams like Aloys, Andrews, Redlands and Pius. Without needing to compromise on principles, the Grammar sports master has provided the boys with games that meet the objectives of games within their curriculum.

Tradition is very important in classic education in the Private School System, but what traditions do you follow and embrace?
The traditions of Honesty and ethics and games for education and character development sake, or
The tradition of we have always played games against them, and we once shared the view of the role of games within a learning environment.

HJ, IIRC, Grammar had a change of "tact" this year from their new HM to removing the attention and focus previously there for sports. Someone more in the know might be able to provide the details. Shore is by no means an angel on the recruitment front, i was simply refering to rugby.

If Shore were to recruit a few, it would not in any way be breaching their morals, it would just be applying to a wider range of sports, Grammar might need a rethink on their approach to sports, before they were to look at reviewing their prinicples regarding scholarships?

In any case, it is unlikely to ever get any air time, so probably a dead duck suggestion.

My point was more looking at keeping the quality of rugby played by the 6 schools that did contest the 1sts title at that level, because watching the games this year, i for one became a fan of rugby all over again. The Walabies would do well to visit Scots High Performance Centre, and their all star coaching staff, they might learn something about how to train/play/show some passion in what you represent.

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm not at all.
Hugh Jarse is spot on its your principles that matter you give them up and you become a week to week proposition here you are only as worthy as your last game
As mentioned IS, Shore are not in any danger of giving up their "principles", Grammar maybe so, but their removal of a focus on sport probabyl comprpmised what has otherwise been a rich sporting history? Is that a compromising of principles in itself?

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Lindommer, whilst this season may have been .....
I agree Scots appear to have gone to far on the B'Ball side of things, but any claim by a headmaster that their rugby side was the result of buying, is beyond ridiculous, and how the shore headmaster can level claims of safety at Scots, yet not mention Newington in the same breath is beyond me.

If all Scholarships were removed from all Schools, Scots would still have had 12 of their 1st XV (by my count) still there (including all of their GPS, NSW and Aus reps who are all full freight boys) and would have beaten the other schools by even bigger margins.

Time for a reality check people, it starting to become pathetic!

You obviously weren't there at Michael Hawkers backyard for the first round that was nearly the upset of the year were you?

I stated in apost that whilst Shore were missing the size to a man, and that the Scots scrum and particularly the Scots LHP was a threat to the safety of all players including himself. I wonder what would have happened had this player been sent from the field for illegalities? Could you imagine the hue and cry in Bellevue hill? One or two of the (independent) people I was standing with certainly agreed.
A schoolchilds safety is paramount and if Dr Wright stated this, more power to him.
The difference between Newingtons Front 3 and Scots was that they could scrummage. I suppose that be the differnce between the 6 men, as is seen by further representation by them. As is the old adage that the most important player is your THP, your second most is your 2's THP
So please stop trying deflect off this very serious issue by blaming conspiracy theories or as would normally be the case, blame everybody else

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
HJ, IIRC, Grammar had a change of "tact" this year from their new HM to removing the attention and focus previously there for sports. Someone more in the know might be able to provide the details. Shore is by no means an angel on the recruitment front, i was simply refering to rugby.

Grammar HMhas been there for quite a while.
The change of tack came in the late 60's.
There was a change of Sportsmaster in the last few years who has brought in Lachlan Fear to coach 1st XV and Alan Campbell to coach 1st XI - and for each of them to have a wider role in developing the skills of the boys who are already at the school - with some success in rugby (I cant speak for cricket).

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
You obviously weren't there at Michael Hawkers backyard for the first round that was nearly the upset of the year were you?

I stated in apost that whilst Shore were missing the size to a man, and that the Scots scrum and particularly the Scots LHP was a threat to the safety of all players including himself. I wonder what would have happened had this player been sent from the field for illegalities? Could you imagine the hue and cry in Bellevue hill? One or two of the (independent) people I was standing with certainly agreed.
A schoolchilds safety is paramount and if Dr Wright stated this, more power to him.
The difference between Newingtons Front 3 and Scots was that they could scrummage. I suppose that be the differnce between the 6 men, as is seen by further representation by them. As is the old adage that the most important player is your THP, your second most is your 2's THP
So please stop trying deflect off this very serious issue by blaming conspiracy theories or as would normally be the case, blame everybody else

I definately was there and the fault lies entirely with the referees apaulling management of the scrum. Scots should never have been allowed to push that far, however the ref didn't police it. I agree the Scots prop should have gone to the bin, and the pack penalised multiple time for pushing to far, however if the ref doesn't enforce it, whose fault does it then become.

BW, if the referee had done his job and penalised the Scots scrum for pushing to far, or policed the TH for losing his bind, as he did, would there still have been a safety issue, or would Shore have gained the upper hand off the pack of repeated penalties and caused the upset of the season. Is this the schools fault of the refs? I certainly know the answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.