• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brumby Jack the 1st

yeah right: how's that working out?
;)

Rather difficult with a bunch of stuck up old boys from the GPS schools who believe they are superior and hence deserve to win rugby games.

Would also like to make note of Shores dominance of the GPS rowing, how would you explain their success?? Strong cohort and excellent coaching accompanied by a culture of success? sounds familiar.....

alfred

Bob McCowan (2)
Rather difficult with a bunch of stuck up old boys from the GPS schools who believe they are superior and hence deserve to win rugby games.

Would also like to make note of Shores dominance of the GPS rowing, how would you explain their success?? Strong cohort and excellent coaching accompanied by a culture of success? sounds familiar...

And no importing of rowers

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Would also like to make note of Shores dominance of the GPS rowing, how would you explain their success?? Strong cohort and excellent coaching accompanied by a culture of success? sounds familiar...

Very hard to recruit rowers because its pretty much confined to the GPS.
Fact is BJ that if 2 GPS teams play, draws aside, one team will win and both will have thought they deserved to - until recently, so there's no need for the chip on that basis.
Some of us are actually in this argument in the belief that pilfering talent from other schools and, in particular, other school systems (in particular ISA and CHS) is not good for Oz rugby: I have no skin in the GPS 1st XV game.

alfred

Bob McCowan (2)
Fact is BJ that if 2 GPS teams play, draws aside, one team will win and both will have thought they deserved to - until recently, so there's no need for the chip on that basis.
Some of us are actually in this argument in the belief that pilfering talent from other schools and, in particular, other school systems (in particular ISA and CHS) is not good for Oz rugby: I have no skin in the GPS 1st XV game.

Tom Schramcko (not sure on the spelling of his last name) who attends a northern beaches school and won the schoolboy sculling this year was approached by 3 GPS schools I know to row in their program

B

Brumby Jack the 1st

Yeah mate I understand that and wasn't pointing the finger. I also like to see a spread of talent but think it is unfair on the Crichtons, Porters, Smiths, Straings, Terbutts etc who are undoubtably Scots home grown talent and are really the stars of the team to be criticised for playing excellent footy, the tables will turn as the always do. I think Scots' extensive bursary program which provides many boys with quality opportunities (other than sport) shouldn't be condemned. I would reckon for every 1st XV player with financial assistance there would be at least 10 boys in their year who receive the same assistance and play no high level sport. I'm not saying its a coincidence these athletes come to the school but why shouldn't they if they meet the criteria. I certainly think it is being blown out of the water

T

The Big Marn

I think you've deliberately confused the subject of my sentence with its object.
The gifts were the student's.
They are validated daily and even a bad HSC mark does not invalidate those gifts.

Right, so should a student of academic ability as well as rugby ability not be afforded an academic scholarship?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yeah mate I understand that and wasn't pointing the finger. I also like to see a spread of talent but think it is unfair on the Crichtons, Porters, Smiths, Straings, Terbutts etc who are undoubtably Scots home grown talent and are really the stars of the team to be criticised for playing excellent footy, the tables will turn as the always do. I think Scots' extensive bursary program which provides many boys with quality opportunities (other than sport) shouldn't be condemned. I would reckon for every 1st XV player with financial assistance there would be at least 10 boys in their year who receive the same assistance and play no high level sport. I'm not saying its a coincidence these athletes come to the school but why shouldn't they if they meet the criteria. I certainly think it is being blown out of the water

You have chosen those names carefully, I think.
I can't see the relevance of the 10 to 1 ratio - no one is suggesting that TSC doesn't have well targeted general assistance programs.

T

The Big Marn

That depends - you need to read the GPS code of practice: its a question for one's conscience, as I read that document.

I think I should just make it clear, that I am with you in not supporting Scots' bursary programme with clear irregularities being shown, but I do think it being blown out of proportion. So, I suppose our positions are not polar opposites.

B

Brumby Jack the 1st

You have chosen those names carefully, I think.
I can't see the relevance of the 10 to 1 ratio - no one is suggesting that TSC doesn't have well targeted general assistance programs.

Fair point, I'm trying to say that if so many are handed out why should talented sportsmen be excluded? Providing the meet the criteria and they apply rather than being approached as some people suggest. I don't think any school, even shore, would turn down a suitable candidate on the basis they are TOO GOOD AT SPORT

Status
Not open for further replies.