• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Joeys do this every year at the primary schools Catholic Diocesan carnivals held at their grounds. No need to go back to 2009 for that.

Perhaps you're right, although if Joeys are heavily into sports scholarships at the moment they're not very good at it are they? I mean, despite being consistently strong across all age groups and having more depth in rugby than any other school, they haven't won since 2007. And their Headmaster isn't circulating correspondence with "Facts" which seem at odds with reality either.

Freddo Frog

Ward Prentice (10)
Perhaps you're right, although if Joeys are heavily into sports scholarships at the moment they're not very good at it are they? I mean, despite being consistently strong across all age groups and having more depth in rugby than any other school, they haven't won since 2007. And their Headmaster isn't circulating correspondence with "Facts" which seem at odds with reality either.

But the carnivals are most definitely a very convenient pool for them to pass around application packages, and then choose students from each year isn't it?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
But the carnivals are most definitely a very convenient pool for them to pass around application packages, and then choose students from each year isn't it?

It certainly is, although marketing a school to potential full fee paying students is sensible, offering inducements or bursaries on the basis of sporting ability would be against the rules. Vindictam seems to suggest that it's the former.

Freddo Frog

Ward Prentice (10)
What Vindictam is suggesting is that Scots and Joeys have participated in identical activities, but only one is doing wrong.
I'm all for abiding by the rules, but let's apply them fairly.

RUGBYGIRL11

Peter Burge (5)
I'm no fan of Scots but a few years ago a Year 6 boy from another GPS school was approached by Scots whilst playing for the NSW basketball team
The NSW coach was from Scots
No scholarship was offered
What was offered was an "elite athlete" program with enhanced academic support
It certainly got the parents thinking about the move even though they decided not to take up the offer

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 7.36.54 am.png
Sounds like an inducement
No inducements such as sporting scholarships, whether direct, disguised, or at arm's length, shall be offered by any member school.

Gobstar

Stan Wickham (3)
Read the thread,he is already on record as having been one of the staff members.
So that sort of wrecks your point doesn't it?

Being fairly new to this website and this forum in particular, and not having time to have gone back over 250+ pages of discussion, I was unaware of the commenter's status. So rather than making a dogmatic point without basis (as seems to be how many contributors operate here), I specifically asked for clarification on the two alternatives I offered up.
So I thank you for that clarification in the first point of your response and apologise for 'wrecking' the rationale of your second.
And Lincoln, by asking for clarification of Vindictam's credibility, which was subsequently confirmed, my response actually supported his first point rather than "throw(ing) another whistleblower under the bus".
You guys should really read the posts with less bias and be less defensive.

Gobstar

Stan Wickham (3)
I'd like to ask a fair dinkum, innocent question that probably reflects a level of naivety and ignorance of the first 250 odd pages of this forum and a displays evidence that I may nit have actually thought the matter through to any great extent.
But why don't academic scholarships to schools like Sydney Grammar, Sydney High, even James Ruse High etc, attract the same level of criticism that these alleged sporting scholarships/bursaries do?
Doesn't this create an unlevel playing field in an even more important aspect of a teenager's life? Their education? Or music or drama or art scholarships?
Is plucking the state's brightest students from Years 7 to 10 for a more intensive education just as 'unfair' as 'inducing' top rugby players to a school with a higher level of training? Or not?
Just repeating - this is a genuine question. Please don't display your usual level of contempt IS - I'm actually very sensitive, having switched from the outside backs to the front row midway through my 24 years of rugby.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I
But why don't academic scholarships to schools like Sydney Grammar, Sydney High, even James Ruse High etc, attract the same level of criticism that these alleged sporting scholarships/bursaries do?

Because:
  1. the schools have not agreed to restrict academic scholarships as they have agreed wrt sporting scholarships.
  2. the schools' sporting agreements are done under the banner of the AAGPS. The academic playground is refereed by the BOS. Different battlefields.
  3. There is no formal competition between schools for an academic championship.
I feel your pain - I too ended my insignificant rugby career in the front row.

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
Academic completely different. No league tables (ATAR) and should only be referenced if they apply to Scots (88th). In fact why not devote 2 pages of the 'school sporting scholarship' thread to how Scots are attempting to manipulate their English marks. Some irony considering the number of Old Sydneians on the site and the fact that Mackerras turned HSC tables and mark manipulation into an art form.

S

Slapped Down

Long time reader, first time poster: I'm willing to bet a case of Tooheys New that $cotts have at least 13 people in their squad that are on Bursaries of some description. Prove me wrong, and the case is yours. All of you $Scots apologists have clearly been drinking too much from Scots' Kool Aid.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Long time reader, first time poster: I'm willing to bet a case of Tooheys New that $cotts have at least 13 people in their squad that are on Bursaries of some description. Prove me wrong, and the case is yours. All of you $Scots apologists have clearly been drinking too much from Scots' Kool Aid.

Sounds like an inducement to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.