• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
http://www.smh.com.au/national/educ...terian-church-and-school-20160413-go5232.html

The council also cited concerns over Dr Lambert's alleged handling of multiple public controversies during his tenure, including accusations of buying elite athletes with sports scholarships, negotiating direct entry into Sydney University academic programs without students sitting their HSC, and conflicts with neighbours and Woollahra Council over a four-year period.

Let me add the mega dollars spent on his Camelot aka Aspinal House. Staff budgets I am not surprised. There were so many levels of management on fat salaries and the majority of teaching staff were under 10 years of classroom experience = cheap!

1460542875477.jpg

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
http://www.smh.com.au/national/educ...terian-church-and-school-20160413-go5232.html

The council also cited concerns over Dr Lambert's alleged handling of multiple public controversies during his tenure, including accusations of buying elite athletes with sports scholarships, negotiating direct entry into Sydney University academic programs without students sitting their HSC, and conflicts with neighbours and Woollahra Council over a four-year period.

"The report states that at an all-staff meeting, the Presbyterian Church's lawyer, Simon Fraser, likened dealing with the former council to "negotiating with ISIS [Islamic State]".

So the rowing thread was somewhat prescient.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Pathways is an academic sick joke.
(From IS on the GPS thread)

Agreed. Pathways may help the slow academic learner to cope with HSC workloads over two years instead on one, but those young people should be pursuing trades, physical work, or any one of a number of worthwhile non-academic careers. Many of those careers could lead to very good incomes.

For the pathways student who chose schoolboy sporting glory as a Year 13 student, they have unfortunately chosen to forgo one year of harder adult competition, and have to cope with the boredom of half a school experience for two years.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Posts moved from the AAGPS thread. Continue the discussion on this thread.
I hear through the grapevine a certain school is waving the fees to some kids to do pathways. Makes me wonder why some people are reluctant to name how many boys are doing it at their schools.
Shouldnt be allowed on any basis.
Pathways is an academic sick joke.
Well I'm tipping the school with the most year 13 or pathways in their team to win this years GPS rugby competition
You seem to know the answer. (Which I highly doubt) If you do name the teams that have them.
Let's just say it's not Shore as NAS has assured us they have none.
It will come out in due course when other people post their list but the school I'm tipping has at least a couple in their 1st team
If your desire to the unravel this mystery of the ages and "conspiracy of silence" is so urgent all you need to do is look in the pages of this thread where it's been clearly specified before. I doubt however this will satisfy you as you appear intent on demonising pathways and the lads who participate in the program as some sort of "Scots-eque" irregularity.

This is not Salem in 1692 so you can put down your matches as the kindling you are trying to light is all green.
Not trying to demonise any group at all but merely trying to find out how widespread pathways is. Thankfully it seems very rare as only one GPS school have them and they just happen to be very good rep rugby players. So don't get your knickers in a knot over this as I'm not the one who described pathways as an academic sick joke. You should instead look at why these fine rugby players take two years to do what 99.9% of students do in one.
@IS and others are entitled to their view of the world but the FACTS are that pathways is a legitimate option for those that meet the pathways criteria.

Clearly you knew the answer to your question before you even asked it so I can only speculate at the reasons you went about circuitously attempting to illicit a response to your baited question.

Troy Dickson

Herbert Moran (7)
blindsideflanker - Who cares if it takes them 2 yrs, none of your business . You don't pay the bills and it is not your life!

You can only do over two years and play 1st XV if you were a student who started school early anyone , so no big deal they come back to their own age group anyway, so what advantage do they get ? Answer me that blindsideflanker ?

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I'm surprised any of them complete a successful HSC if they're in the Scots programme! 5-6 sessions a week and game day to be at the football. When do they study?

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
There is nothing new in this concept, only the name.

It was happening 40 years ago.

At Shore it was usual for the Senior Prefect (school captain) to repeat year 12.

So the likes of Phil Emery and Michael Hawker repeated and went on with sporting careers.

I don't have a problem as long as the boy is young for the age group. And just so long as it's the boys family's idea not the school rugby coach.

Would not like to think there would be more than 1 at a school playing first 15.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
There is nothing new in this concept, only the name.

It was happening 40 years ago.

At Shore it was usual for the Senior Prefect (school captain) to repeat year 12.

So the likes of Phil Emery and Michael Hawker repeated and went on with sporting careers.

I don't have a problem as long as the boy is young for the age group. And just so long as it's the boys family's idea not the school rugby coach.

Would not like to think there would be more than 1 at a school playing first 15.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

More like 100 years. Very common to spend flexible time at boarding school in order to complete leadership, sport AND matriculate to university.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
There's a lot of uninformed blithering about Pathways on this thread - I know, no surprise given that it's a tradition at the start of every rugby season. I must point out, however, from a position of some experience and knowledge, that Pathways is a lot like bonus ATAR points and Special Provisions for HSC: all three are rarely granted, affect far fewer students than the resentful public assumes, and NOBODY even asks for it without a very good reason!!!

Schools do not suddenly decide halfway through Year 12 that they would really like that amazing rugby player to stick around for another year, then pick up the phone to BOSTES and order up Pathways like a pizza! The process begins in Year 10 and is a carefully thought-out plan to accommodate athletes who would otherwise be impossibly over-extended and unable to complete the HSC.

It's only one of the multitude of reasons students apply for Pathways, others being real-life responsibilities like being a carer for your chronically ill/addicted/disabled parent, or like your part-time job being a crucial contributor to the household income, meaning you can only attend school part-time. Read up on why Catholic schools in the Illawarra restructured the school day for exactly this reason.

Most of all, get informed before you whinge and whine about a couple of boys from a couple of schools. Rant complete.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
More like 100 years. Very common to spend flexible time at boarding school in order to complete leadership, sport AND matriculate to university.

A friend of mine who was at Joeys in the 1970s, said the repeats would do courses such as landscaping. Then the purpose was to keep outstanding Rugby players.
Rumours back them also state that a number of Joeys boys missed Australian Schoolboy, because they were too old

Troy Dickson

Herbert Moran (7)
A friend of mine who was at Joeys in the 1970s, said the repeats would do courses such as landscaping. Then the purpose was to keep outstanding Rugby players.
Rumours back them also state that a number of Joeys boys missed Australian Schoolboy, because they were too old

Of course you too old if you repeat at the age of 18, but if you are 17 yrs doing year 12 and want to repeat year 12 again, well that is the students prerogative. But they will be finishing their last year at school with their correct age group.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Of course you too old if you repeat at the age of 18, but if you are 17 yrs doing year 12 and want to repeat year 12 again, well that is the students prerogative. But they will be finishing their last year at school with their correct age group.

I agree completely, in fact, I personally feel 17 is too young for many boys to leave school. Intellectually and emotionally boys are still developing in these areas and many will not reach their potential until their twenties. Hence, the need to support boys if necessary with Pathways.
A caring/supportive school that is professionally run, will be aware of these needs. Dr Tim Hawkes in his book "Educating Boys" has stated boys need boundaries and structure. If Pathways provide these boundaries and structures its value should be respected.
Boys will learnt differently from each other and no one system is superior to the other. Rather its matter of being aware of how each boy learns and placing them in an educational environment that suits their needs.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
What a crock of shit.
You don't give kids boundaries & structure by halving the educational load that 99% of less privileged kids have.

Keeping a kid at School for an additional year,because their School places a too high a burden on them to play School sport.
Is fucking ludicrous!

Its accepted educational practice learn to live with it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Its accepted educational practice learn to live with it.

It's accepted "do better at sport" practice, and really has little to do with education. Let's be honest.
If parents, pupils and schools want to do this, fine, but let's not dress it up like some sort of educational boon.
Let me put it another way - how many do 'pathways" who are just struggling students who couldn't kick / pass / row or dunk to save their lives?
Which comes back to the point of schooling. If it is in pursuit of a lucrative sporting career, it is misplaced, based on the numbers that ever really make it.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
It's accepted "do better at sport" practice, and really has little to do with education. Let's be honest.
If parents, pupils and schools want to do this, fine, but let's not dress it up like some sort of educational boon.
Let me put it another way - how many do 'pathways" who are just struggling students who couldn't kick / pass / row or dunk to save their lives?
Which comes back to the point of schooling. If it is in pursuit of a lucrative sporting career, it is misplaced, based on the numbers that ever really make it.

So much idealism my friend, the Labor Party supports it because it can help kids at any Sports High in their chosen sport in their Western Sydney electorates.The Liberal Party will support it because sport has so commercial interests now. More importantly in terms of Public Policy, the educational bureaucrats value it because it, because this policy empowers them with greater administrative control over the educational sector. Therefore Pathways is here to stay. Its not matter of what is right or wrong but who benefits.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
My complaint about pathways is that it permits any child to take his best subjects over 2 years to the disadvantage of those who sit their HSC all in one go. And if its not giving the pathway treader a huge advantage why do it at all?
Those who think this was going on in the 70s etc ought to remind themselves of the rules back then.
And since people want to excuse Scots for of all of its excesses in every direction i may as well point out that having most (all?) of their 2 unit maths candidates complete the HSC for 2 unit maths in year 11 should not be allowed.
Having to undertake the HSC in one year for 10 of your best units is itself a measure of academic aptitude. Permitting it to be done over 2 deprives the resultant mark of any significance in terms of academic aptitude. if we all did one subject a year we could really nail it.
Thats why uni courses have minimum course loads: if you can't meet the minimum load you are in the wrong game.
As for bonus points etc - no doubt we all think HECS is a good idea. If the unis are going to be allowed to, effectively, charge for their degrees then they should be able to say who they want as customers. Just as most of the schools the subject of this thread do.

Status
Not open for further replies.