• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
There we three others in the second Australia schools side

Thanks Ronny, I knew all those years ago I saw the figure 8 quoted. They were a great side, but from two separate sources, they lacked humility. Then again, with 8 Aust. Representatives in your team I think God Almighty would have been challenged to promote a sense humility.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
IS, what's with the personal attacks? It takes two to tango, and if I take myself 'a little too seriously', well that's a pot calling the kettle black.

Frankly, I think this vitriol you use against people that disagree with you on a discussion forum is classless.

When I use the term 'holistic education' I'm pointing to the breadth of what one can learn from a private school. This is because others were pointing to tertiary admittance and enters being low amongst scholarshipees.

I've explained how I don't believe they get zero access to the community engagement, community/civil service activities, speakers, etc. that these schools offer because a lot of them are in school hours, the rugby season doesn't run all year, and the pastoral care and academic parts of the school simply wouldn't allow it.

Additionally, if these rugby programs ask a disgusting amount of students, and maybe they do, why is this a scholarship issue? Isn't this a school sporting issue? The rage should be channelled elsewhere.

You question what value a scholarship student receives, and I've said a better educational experience (both academically and 'holistically') and a better rugby experience. But let's not let you or I decide if the value is there, let's look to the students. If the value proposition wasn't there for scholarshipees, why do so many people take them? These students that take scholarships aren't anomalies.

TL ; DR - I've tried at length to empathise with particular points the anti-scholarship crew have made and explain myself thoroughly (as per the long posts). I've been met with strawman arguments and insults. Thanks.
I'm glad you edited this post, to remove the bit about the kids getting their value add in the school holidays :)

that was a very long bow......

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
When I use the term 'holistic education' I'm pointing to the breadth of what one can learn from a private school.
If the value proposition wasn't there for scholarshipees, why do so many people take them?

Ummm, St Augustine's is a private school: have they disbanded the "Holistic Education Experience Department" - or are there some schools who don't provide this type of "experience"? (Hint: maybe thats the point)
The value proposition as perceived by the recipient probably involves: GPS "connections"; better chance of making ASRU teams and getting on the mungo radar, or; bragging rights - which do not extend to actually identifying what one gets out of the particular school.
I also think you're missing what I perceive to be the basis of most people's opposition:
  • Its contrary to the AAGPS code of conduct which involves an agreement between the schools;
  • It leads to an arms race which elevates school sport to an importance in the minds of some which it was never intended to have;
  • It is and promotes or fosters a win at all costs approach

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It's also remarkable how players miraculously appear in schools (bursary or not) when the firsts are already loaded with players of high ability in certain positions. I'm thinking here if the new arrivals at View and Joeys earlier this year, where both back lines were already chock full of stars.

Yes, the Riverview backline in 2016 managed to have two boys in their first or second year at the school and another in his third year at school.

One from another GPS school, one from an ISA school and another who played for Qld Country in the 14s and miraculously found his way into the View 15As the following year.;)

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yes, the Riverview backline in 2016 managed to have two boys in their first or second year at the school and another in his third year at school.

One from another GPS school, one from an ISA school and another who played for Qld Country in the 14s and miraculously found his way into the View 15As the following year.;)
Think Riverview would be very disappointed with 2016 season. IMO they had they had the strongest team on paper.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Think Riverview would be very disappointed with 2016 season. IMO they had they had the strongest team on paper.

Yes, these scholarships can in fact reduce the effectiveness of a team - particularly if that team has been a relatively stable, cohesive unit since 13s.

Some schools even feel obliged to keep picking the scholarshipped boy ahead of better performed others. (See Joeys v New 2016 where Joeys scored 5 tries down one wing;))

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
I was ready to agree.

Kings had a team with a lot of Talent, some of whom (3 I think) undertook Pathways and repeated. So it seemed that Kings were trying extra hard to win this year after coming second last and last the previous 2 years.

Pathways isn't repeating - the students complete three subjects in Yr 12 and another 1-2 in Yr 13. Essentially doing Yr 12 over two years.

But the principle remains that they are kept at school an extra year (ostensibly) to shore up the 1st XV

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
I was ready to agree.

Kings had a team with a lot of Talent, some of whom (3 I think) undertook Pathways and repeated. So it seemed that Kings were trying extra hard to win this year after coming second last and last the previous 2 years.

Haha. I deleted my comment because I didn't want readers to think I was suggesting the Kings 2016 Team had players on scholarships, given this is the scholarships thread.

What I had said was something along the lines that Kings would also have to have been disappointed with the 2016 results because I thought, before the 2016 season started, that they were favourites on paper to win the premiership

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What is rubbish, is that the practise is allowed.
It was designed to assist high performing national athletes that couldn't cope with both their training load/ and missing weeks to compete on an international level.

Here we have kids who are basically saying the load to compete for their School against 6 other Schools is too high a burden to study properly.
In Schools that are predominantly the most expensive in the state.

It's ridiculous !

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
This thread has reached a new low. What utter rubbish.

Azzuri, I have seen it happen.
I am not aware of how widespread the practice is nor of it's use in the last couple of years, but I assure you it has happened.
The main reason a school and an elite student agree for him to do Year 12 over two years is, age permitting, to play in the top team for one extra year.

Status
Not open for further replies.