• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
So what’s the basic summary ?

Is Shore opening things up in its Rugby program to jock it up a bit ?
Quick Hands et al seem to infer that is the case.

Apparently coincides with the appointment of Rod McQueen to run the rugby program.

So a fair bit of smoke, still haven't seen any flames.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Is Nick Farr-JOnes son in year 12 at Shore?

Maybe Shore might be finally getting fair dinkum

and ending their grizzling ... and making sure they don't slide into rugby oblivion

whatever came of their indigenous scholarship?! Or are they just focussed on funding the new gym ..... grrrr

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Is Nick Farr-JOnes son in year 12 at Shore?

Maybe Shore might be finally getting fair dinkum

and ending their grizzling . and making sure they don't slide into rugby oblivion

whatever came of their indigenous scholarship?! Or are they just focussed on funding the new gym ... grrrr
Some unrelated and disconnected points in that post.

Must be a dam fine red SDW.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This thread is so missing the measured tones of Hugh Jarse!
There were 2 Hugh jarse’s: there was the shit stirring member who had massive amounts of good info and there was the moderator, who occasionally lapsed back into the mere member.
I vote for the return of the former now that the barbarians are at the gates. Not because I have any skin in the game any more but because the concentration of rugby skill and ability in a few schools at a time when the game needs a wider appeal in order to survive is contrary to the medium and long term interests of this game.
The way Things are going the Tahs will be playing their games at Daceyville and not just training there.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
There were 2 Hugh jarse’s: there was the shit stirring member who had massive amounts of good info and there was the moderator, who occasionally lapsed back into the mere member.
I vote for the return of the former now that the barbarians are at the gates. Not because I have any skin in the game any more but because the concentration of rugby skill and ability in a few schools at a time when the game needs a wider appeal in order to survive is contrary to the medium and long term interests of this game.
The way Things are going the Tahs will be playing their games at Daceyville and not just training there.

AND even then they probably wouldn't fill the Grand Stand!

Sparkle Motion

Peter Burge (5)
Lots of excitement over new faces at Stanmore over the last couple of days.

Turns out that the cohort of talented musicians/debaters that seem to turn up every year in year 10 and 11 coincidentally also happen to be very talented rugby players. Again.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Nice work Sparky me ol’ mate...
How about you develop a little bit of credibility first. Even B&W won’t bite at this.
Triangle is a highly regarded musical instrument. Don’t knock it

Sparkle Motion

Peter Burge (5)
Nice work Sparky me ol’ mate.
How about you develop a little bit of credibility first. Even B&W won’t bite at this.
Triangle is a highly regarded musical instrument. Don’t knock it

I don't think I can pass the test that B&W posted! Not an old boy, don't read plaques when I go there generally. I know who the new bench on Buch is dedicated to. But it's fair to say that one of the new lads put on a bit of show on Buchanan today after play commenced, with 60 out of a total of 132. Wrong sport I know. But of the rest, I think the pack will be a lot stronger, esp 2019/2020.

S

sidelineview

CNorth posted on the CAS thread:
Well done to Waverley in being able to attract these boys for their final years of schooling. Mmmmm pub test. Fail

I understand your skepticism concerning the reported number of new players at Waverley.
Waverley College does offer ''Financial Assistance and Scholarships'' Info can be found on the College website.
Personally, I dont have any knowledge of the details of this. Others may have.

This doesnt necessarily mean any of the new players' parents have received financial assistance and to my knowledge no rugby players in recent years have been ''recruits'' to the school.
I can recall one student/rugby player who arrived at Waverley in year 11 from another school but he was a Randwick rugby junior who had a lot of mates at Waverley. There was no reason to suspect he was a ''recruit''.
In the last couple of seasons Waverley has been lucky enough to have had a very good crop of players come through the age groups to play Opens, and the coaching has been excellent.
Quite a few of those players made higher rep schoolboy honours and have gone on to be Gen Blue players as well. Some, who had been league players predominately have chosen to play Club rugby instead after experiencing the enjoyment of schoolboy rugby.

All good positive stuff regardless of what school they attended, and all schools experience this cyclic effect regarding overall player strength in the Opens.

On the subject of scholarships and financial assistance, and as I understand it, Waverley used to engage in this practice with rugby players but stopped it quite a few years ago.

However, I see no problem with it if it provides students with opportunities that they may not have otherwise received due to financial restrictions with their parents.
Waverley is one of the cheaper private school; way cheaper than Cranbrook but more expensive than Marcellin College which is a league school.
The more student/rugby players who switch over from schools like Marcellin to a school like Waverley the better. It's good for the school, good for the players and good for the game. And good luck to the parents who can see their boys receive opportunities. It's not uncommon for students to play Club league and school rugby but eventually they have to choose one or the other.

In this day and age where soccer and AFL have become so popular and compete fiercely with rugby at Club and school level, any promotion and strengthening of the game should be applauded.

I'm not assuming that Waverley is offering scholarships to students who happen to be rugby players because I dont know, but ''scholarships'' is not a dirty word.

The problem with this of course is that it can be abused purely so schools can win Premierships. It's been a controversial issue in GPS schools in recent years.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Lots of excitement over new faces at Stanmore over the last couple of days.

Turns out that the cohort of talented musicians/debaters that seem to turn up every year in year 10 and 11 coincidentally also happen to be very talented rugby players. Again.

An arrival at North Parramatta in Year 10 from St Augustine's. Manly SG Ball/whatever they call the comp rep.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
All good positive stuff regardless of what school they attended, and all schools experience this cyclic effect regarding overall player strength in the Opens.

On the subject of scholarships and financial assistance, and as I understand it, Waverley used to engage in this practice with rugby players but stopped it quite a few years ago.

However, I see no problem with it if it provides students with opportunities that they may not have otherwise received due to financial restrictions with their parents.
Waverley is one of the cheaper private school; way cheaper than Cranbrook but more expensive than Marcellin College which is a league school.
The more student/rugby players who switch over from schools like Marcellin to a school like Waverley the better.

'Cos rugby is all its about.
Marcellin outperformed Waverley in last year's HSC: I would have thought they had a pretty similar demographic, so that's telling.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
CNorth posted on the CAS thread:
Well done to Waverley in being able to attract these boys for their final years of schooling. Mmmmm pub test. Fail

I understand your skepticism concerning the reported number of new players at Waverley.
Waverley College does offer ''Financial Assistance and Scholarships'' Info can be found on the College website.
Personally, I dont have any knowledge of the details of this. Others may have.

This doesnt necessarily mean any of the new players' parents have received financial assistance and to my knowledge no rugby players in recent years have been ''recruits'' to the school.
I can recall one student/rugby player who arrived at Waverley in year 11 from another school but he was a Randwick rugby junior who had a lot of mates at Waverley. There was no reason to suspect he was a ''recruit''.
In the last couple of seasons Waverley has been lucky enough to have had a very good crop of players come through the age groups to play Opens, and the coaching has been excellent.
Quite a few of those players made higher rep schoolboy honours and have gone on to be Gen Blue players as well. Some, who had been league players predominately have chosen to play Club rugby instead after experiencing the enjoyment of schoolboy rugby.

The more student/rugby players who switch over from schools like Marcellin to a school like Waverley the better. It's good for the school, good for the players and good for the game. And good luck to the parents who can see their boys receive opportunities. It's not uncommon for students to play Club league and school rugby but eventually they have to choose one or the other.

In this day and age where soccer and AFL have become so popular and compete fiercely with rugby at Club and school level, any promotion and strengthening of the game should be applauded.

I'm not assuming that Waverley is offering scholarships to students who happen to be rugby players because I dont know, but ''scholarships'' is not a dirty word.

The problem with this of course is that it can be abused purely so schools can win Premierships. It's been a controversial issue in GPS schools in recent years.

TOUCHE Sideline,

There are a small number of boys in many schools who are assisted, good on them.

More the point,I think we all agree that rugby needs to promote itself, soccer and AFL are eating our lunch.
Big picture thinking needed!

Freddo Frog

Ward Prentice (10)
An arrival at North Parramatta in Year 10 from St Augustine's. Manly SG Ball/whatever they call the comp rep.

That's at least the third one in this year group then. They had two outstanding players arrive in Yr 8 in 2016 which boosted their results considerably from the year before.

Status
Not open for further replies.