• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scrap RWC Third vs Fourth in favour of a SH vs NH Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tblackadder

I read Nick Farr Jones had recommended scrapping the THird vs 4th game and in its place making the fixture a SH vs NH game.

I think that idea has legs.

No one gives a sh*t about 3rd vs 4th. The only value i can see for a 3rd vs 4th game if that if you support the winning teams in semis you get to see your great foes who have just been vanquished having to turn up for a nothing game which really just emphasises that 4 years later they have fallen short again....

Logistically though i think the 3rd vs 4th game is played close to the final..if the SH v NH game is played at the same time it would have be a SH vs NH (without the players in the final)

and ideally a NH vs SH game would include players from the particpants in the final and that cant happen unless they have it after the final

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Nah leave it the way it is. Unless they evenly distribute the players from minor nations. It will reward them and they can play with better players. Plus giving them a bit of a name to get selected to such teams like the Baa Baa's etc.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
That could be a rule. Must include at least one player from every nation there.

But then you would be excluding some pretty quality players.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
It would be great for some of the minnow players to play with the heavyweights. Logistically hard at the back end of the cup though.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I love any of these ideas, except that teams go home when they lose. You could pick players from losing teams so that they stay for the game?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Would be awesome - two Baabaa's team made up of the form players of the RWC from all teams that didn't make the final...
Have it the final on Saturday, the exhibition match on the Sunday so squad members of the winning teams who don't play in the final are available.

Must pick at least one player from each team, and at most 2 players for an IRB top 6 team.

Code:
	IRB Rank
Argentina	9
Australia	2
Fiji	15
Namibia	20
New Zealand	1
Samoa	10
South Africa	3
Tonga	12

Canada	14
England	5
France	4
Georgia	16
Ireland	8
Italy	11
Japan	13
Romania	17
Russia	19
Scotland	7
USA	18
Wales	6

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I love the idea, but it would surely be greatly diminished if you have a SH vs SH final or a NH vs NH final.

If Australia vs New Zealand was the final, then you'd have NH vs South Africa, Argies and Pacific Islands which would probably be a bit lopsided.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
What is more needed is a World Plate competition for those teams which finish 3rd and 4th in their pools. Each of the Plate games could be played as the early game to the corresponding knockout fixture of the Cup. Alternatively, if they were played as stand-alone fixtures they would certainly draw crowds big enough to at least cover costs of staging the game plus the additional accommodation costs for the teams involved. It is disappointing that the minnow teams are shipped out as soon as the pool rounds are completed.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was about to start a thread going the other way, suggesting the Plate, Bowl and Shield finals be brought into the RWC ala Sevens.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Great idea Bruce.

A plate competition would be awesome. It would be great for helping develop the smaller nations and give them more exposure. It would also provide for curtain raisers at every game of the finals.

A

antipodean

Logistically though i think the 3rd vs 4th game is played close to the final..if the SH v NH game is played at the same time it would have be a SH vs NH (without the players in the final)

and ideally a NH vs SH game would include players from the particpants in the final and that cant happen unless they have it after the final
Exactly the first thing that came to my mind when I heard of his proposal.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
At least it would allow All Blacks fans to see their players in the latter stages of the tournament...

T

tblackadder

re plate comp - nice idea bruce

that would be awesome

its always kinda sad to hear the minnows talking about doing all the rwc prep and targeting one game......

if they had more games against opponents on their level then that would be a great spectacle

think of for example a georgia v fiji final and a great contrast in styles

W

Worldcupnut

How about his idea? Every alternative 4 years, i.e 2yrs after each WC, a 4 way comp between British & Irish Lions, NZ, Aus, and SAF takes place. Play each other twice, no finals, winner takes all.

Sorry, that was a little off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.