• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scrum Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
6th scrum. Result: reset and warning to Sio and Cole.
vlcsnap-2016-06-14-10h32m21s385.png
vlcsnap-2016-06-14-10h32m30s577.png
vlcsnap-2016-06-14-10h32m38s049.png
vlcsnap-2016-06-14-10h32m54s097.png
vlcsnap-2016-06-14-10h32m54s097.png
vlcsnap-2016-06-14-10h33m02s525.png
vlcsnap-2016-06-14-10h33m08s760.png

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Bit hard to tell what happened there from the wrong side, but I can't see Sio's hand anywhere on Cole's back so seems likely he had a dodgy bind again.

Poite: "The issue is on your side. We didn't play any scrum. Juzz be careful now, from now. We want to play scrum fairly. Stable feed and we play on afterward. Alright?"

Dan Cole looks worried:
vlcsnap-2016-06-14-10h34m06s327.png

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
7th scrum, yellow card to Sio.
vlcsnap-2016-06-14-12h19m30s636.png
vlcsnap-2016-06-14-12h19m39s610.png
vlcsnap-2016-06-14-12h19m45s951.png
vlcsnap-2016-06-14-12h19m52s990.png
vlcsnap-2016-06-14-12h19m58s711.png
vlcsnap-2016-06-14-12h20m08s355.png
vlcsnap-2016-06-14-12h20m15s525.png

Again no sign of Sio's hand on Cole's back. Compare that to the pom LH's on the other side:
vlcsnap-2016-06-14-12h29m32s058.png

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Worth mentioning we had ascendancy in the remaining 2 scrums with 5 new front rowers on.

Slipper's bind:
vlcsnap-2016-06-14-12h58m06s079.png

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
At the time I thought Sio was setting himself too far away from Coles and those pics seem to confirm it. In the downed scrums it appears that Coles was folding and Sio was over-extended.

The penalty for an illegal wheel looks incorrect from the birds-eye perspective - Vunipola looks to have been utterly crushed and the Australian right side has drive completely through him. All forward momentum.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
If anyone wants to watch the scrums on the replay (I dunno how to upload videos) the times they are is 34:20, 35:07, 39:10, 50, 50:49, 52:40, 53:25. Not sure why you'd want to but if you do.

A quick glance at youtube shows a full match replay here:

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If anyone wants to watch the scrums on the replay (I dunno how to upload videos) the times they are is 34:20, 35:07, 39:10, 50, 50:49, 52:40, 53:25. Not sure why you'd want to but if you do.

A quick glance at youtube shows a full match replay here:
At 1hr 24min 45 seconds or so is the yellow card scrum.
It is not Sio's side that goes down first - as i see it.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
A prop going backwards that fast is always going to fall afoul of Poite. Who technically hit the ground first isn't going to matter. If it wasn't actually Sio's side it was a photo finish.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
If we can't tell for sure after the event then Poite has no chance.
The laws of the game regarding scrums still need tweaking. At the moment they're being used as a lottery to get a 50/50 crack at 3 points.
Maybe they should stop the clock until the ball is fed, and also not allow any full arm penalties until the ball is in. That would at least stop all the fucking around, time wasting and penalty milking until it was a real contest. The stronger scrum should still win.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Loving the latest front page Blog article on the Soap Dodgers scrum tactics, and the return of service from our new English readership.

Obviously touched a raw nerve with the English trolls coming out in force with the same fervor as a pack of Kiwis justifying any slight against Sir Richie GOAT.

We were simply outfoxed at scrum time by the Soap Dodgers who played M. Polite like a bad busker's ukulele.

Great to have some technical and tactical debate about the Cauliflower Club.

There appears to be an orchestrated campaign from the English Roses to counter our orchestrated campaign to see the game played within the Laws of the game.

#ScrumStraightYouBastards.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Loving the latest front page Blog article on the Soap Dodgers scrum tactics, and the return of service from our new English readership.

Obviously touched a raw nerve with the English trolls coming out in force with the same fervor as a pack of Kiwis justifying any slight against Sir Richie GOAT.

We were simply outfoxed at scrum time by the Soap Dodgers who played M. Polite like a bad busker's ukulele.

There appears to be an orchestrated campaign from the English Roses to counter our orchestrated campaign to see the game played within the Laws of the game.

Exactly, and their main point (perhaps the only point) is that Sio sets up in an overextended fashion and gets monstered by Cole as a result. They point to the fact that when Scott was carded, Cole scrummed straight and in their eyes got over the top of Sio.

Now, if there was more than a grain of truth in their view of the matter, why would Cole not scrum straight on every occasion so that he could exert that dominance that they believe he has? Because, as pointed out above, he didn't get dominance in that scrum at all. The appearance was there because the scrum was pivoting around Sio. Cole knows he cannot get over Sio so he turns in before the ball is even fed to the scrum every time Poite is on the opposite side.

Regardless of whether Sio is overextended on engage or not, that is not an illegality as far as I know. The first illegality comes from Cole as he bores in and forces the scrum down.

I do think however, that there needs to be more thought given to how the various front row protagonists initially bind also. If they are all bound correctly before the scrum proceeds then there might not be so many transgressions when the scrum gets underway.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Exactly, and their main point (perhaps the only point) is that Sio sets up in an overextended fashion and gets monstered by Cole as a result. They point to the fact that when Scott was carded, Cole scrummed straight and in their eyes got over the top of Sio.

Now, if there was more than a grain of truth in their view of the matter, why would Cole not scrum straight on every occasion so that he could exert that dominance that they believe he has? Because, as pointed out above, he didn't get dominance in that scrum at all. The appearance was there because the scrum was pivoting around Sio. Cole knows he cannot get over Sio so he turns in before the ball is even fed to the scrum every time Poite is on the opposite side.

Regardless of whether Sio is overextended on engage or not, that is not an illegality as far as I know. The first illegality comes from Cole as he bores in and forces the scrum down.

I do think however, that there needs to be more thought given to how the various front row protagonists initially bind also. If they are all bound correctly before the scrum proceeds then there might not be so many transgressions when the scrum gets underway.

Jeez BR one of your blokes (and mine) got well and truly dicked.
Get over it !
We'll get 'em next time

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

I liked to it too.
I claim no expertise in scrummaging but (a) what there author says makes sense (b) its obvious that Cole was not taking the hit - the comments section argues otherwise but all you have to do is watch the relativities: Sio comes to Cole rather than the two meeting in the middle. used to called not taking the hit - then they took the hit out of the game....
Joubert has, IIRC, been reasonably keen on the not taking the hit penalties but he'll want to avoid any controversy with the Olympics on the horizon and him doing 7s so my guess is he'll follow the historically accepted view: "australia's scroom is shite"

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Jeez BR one of your blokes (and mine) got well and truly dicked.
Get over it !
We'll get 'em next time

I can accept the Wallaby scrum being dicked by a better one. My beef is about the failure of the officials to recognise and take action against blatantly illegal scrummaging tactics.

Why bother to have game laws at all if they're not going to be enforced?

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I liked to it too.
I claim no expertise in scrummaging but (a) what there author says makes sense (b) its obvious that Cole was not taking the hit - the comments section argues otherwise but all you have to do is watch the relativities: Sio comes to Cole rather than the two meeting in the middle. used to called not taking the hit - then they took the hit out of the game..
Joubert has, IIRC, been reasonably keen on the not taking the hit penalties but he'll want to avoid any controversy with the Olympics on the horizon and him doing 7s so my guess is he'll follow the historically accepted view: "australia's scroom is shite"

I doubt we'll see a return of the success of the anti-Marler campaign this time around. The last time England were strong prospects to make it to the finals due to their hosts status and favourable draw (well, favourable for pool of death). Every country in with a shot at a finals berth (most of them) was happy to pile into the criticism since they were a threat to their own team.

Now it's just Australia vs England. We'll get no sympathy from the rest of the world in this one.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
If we can't tell for sure after the event then Poite has no chance.

WTF ? Completely bleeding obvious at the time. Matt's article is a thing of beauty - this stuff ain't astrophysics - it is not that complicated. Poite was massively incompetent and absolutely botched it.
Rugby will always be a third rate sport and I barely follow it anymore because it's rules and refereeing is absolutely 5th rate. I feel for Scott Sio, whose only crime was destroying England last year, forcing their hand gamesmanship wise. Shame on the refereeing staff for not being up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.