• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Selection politics and bias, Gold Squads unfairness etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
As a last resort, banishment of player selection within the schoolboys representative sides until long overdue changes are made.
And after watching EVERY trial that has occurred within major selection so far this year, the only benefit is that you would need only One scoreboard attendent, because with what you have taking out the GPS lads is a fairly second rate standard. If this upsets you W, please view scores on NSWSRU site and then readdress. The boys would be smashed.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
And I'm sorry to say they are not world beaters when the reach U20s or wallaby selection. We are on our way out of the tier 1 rugby group unless changes are made and quickly.
True here, So is it what???
The allure of$$$$ in Mungo?
Big egos that think they are better than they really are? This statment includes Admin as well

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
True here, So is it what???
The allure of$$$$ in Mungo?
Big egos that think they are better than they really are? This statment includes Admin as well

All age school and club players need hard match day games week in, week out.

Take the boks, do you reckon they would allow one school or association to dominant, I doubt it. I don't know the answer - as I'm not Souff African:confused: and have no particular knowledge of their system, but if there is another country that breeds better players who know how to get into a shit fight and come out on top, I don't know of one.

I would suggest that they are raised on continuous competitive footy from an early age.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
And after watching EVERY trial that has occurred within major selection so far this year, the only benefit is that you would need only One scoreboard attendent, because with what you have taking out the GPS lads is a fairly second rate standard. If this upsets you W, please view scores on NSWSRU site and then readdress. The boys would be smashed.

Yep, it would be a last resort.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
In simple terms lets take a hypothetical GPS school with 1000 full fee paying students (including those on third party full fee scholarships) each paying $20k for the privalege of earning the GPS branded education.

Before federal and state funds kick in, that is $20m revenue each year.

6 Schools represents $120m revenue each year.

What sporting body or government is prepared to subsidise all or a combination of one or more of the ISA, CAS, AICES, CCC, or State High Schools to that level just to retain top rugby players outside the GPS system, or even to attract players FROM the GPS System due to better facilities, coaching, rep opportunities.

What would be gained by taking on and "breaking" the GPS system?

It is what it is and will remain a fact and a limitation that ARU and others will have to learn to deal with like families develop strategies to deal with the drunkard of an Uncle who always turns up to significant family occasions.
try $27k and 1200 minimum

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Yes but wouldn't you just love to ban diveball and cross country volley ball?

Your mate DingleDangleDongle is just a kid and would fail the Gaggerland 2 year window criteria to be eligible for higher recognition.

To the best of my knowledge, Gristle is in the Premier Mens Division.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
So basically say to the GPS and CAS "either ditch your 100+ years of tradition or you can't play for us"?

Talk about a recipe for disaster.

The key to breaking GPS dominance doesn't lie within the GPS system, it's in the CHS and AIC systems. The ARU should leave the GPS alone (which it does) and invest money and coaching resources in these other traditionally non-rugby schools.

Also to say GPS dominance is purely because of $$$ is plain incorrect. It's being able to train two or three times a week from the age of 13 with qualified, committed coaches and top-notch facilities. 99% of these guys aren't world beaters when they enter in year 7.

Problem is the ARU think all is well provided you keep getting a free meal and seat at the test matches. And if dominance is not about the $$$ what pays for the top notch facilities and committed coaches?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Covered a bit of territory across the voids of cyberspace today on this thread.

Must be a few still on annual leave during school holidays and/or a little quiet at work huh?

The lull after the frantic activities associated with the end of the financial year.

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
Some interesting conversation taking place here today. Though the ills of Australian rugby won't be fixed from within the walls of this asylum hopefully one of the night porters can pass on some of the better ideas to the outside authorities. Points to have taken my interest include the removal of any GPS/CAS player from any of the aptly named koala clubs. I agree that these boys already benefit from a solid induction to the game and are merely denying other players the same opportunities. It is a classic case of oversupply. I would not be altering the GPS, but let it continue in its' historical tradition and if it becomes an insignificant 3 or 4 team competition that part educates some boys who otherwise may not receive an education then so be it.

Diverting the funds into some development squads where suburban players can receive a rugby education similar to their GPS/CAS cousins would surely improve the standards of play to the point where players may no longer see the need to take a scholarship to improve further selection percentages.

Now I know it's a bit out there but Augustines and Oakhill are more than competetive enough to make the CAS competition into an 8 team competition (would probably win it). Importantly both schools would be able to give a fuller fixture list than perhaps some of the traditional rivals. Each team plays trials against CAS teams already and with a bit of engenuity they could form part of the competition structure. The traditional CAS teams could also still play for the Henry Plume shield with a new trophy up for the new "championship". This would also allow CAS to return to playing trials against some of the traditional GPS rivals. The ISA teams could also play against the other ISA sides for a traditional season. All up this would amount to about 14 or 15 games including trials which is about what a season should be. Of course this may also entail moving school rep trials and selections into the back end of the season where they belong ut thats for another time.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
Quote Post 195: Some interesting conversation taking place here today. Though the ills of Australian rugby won't be fixed from within the walls of this asylum hopefully one of the night porters can pass on some of the better ideas to the outside authorities.

Luv it.:)

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
The key to breaking GPS dominance doesn't lie within the GPS system, it's in the CHS and AIC systems. The ARU should leave the GPS alone (which it does) and invest money and coaching resources in these other traditionally non-rugby schools.

At last..someone on the right track....but also call the NSW Dept of Education to account....as I stated in an earlier post in the last 25 years they have absolutely abdicated from their role of promoting all forms of sport at comprehensive high schools. Get them to allocate a part of their annual budgets towards the promotion of competitive sport in these schools.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
At last..someone on the right track..but also call the NSW Dept of Education to account..as I stated in an earlier post in the last 25 years they have absolutely abdicated from their role of promoting all forms of sport at comprehensive high schools. Get them to allocate a part of their annual budgets towards the promotion of competitive sport in these schools.

Yeah - NSW Teachers Federation - that bastion of mediocrity pushing for something based on merit! I'll be looking to the west for a sunrise first.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
I was part of the 5% minority that wasn't Maronite. :) i believe it is still the same with respect to ethnicity, though the name has changed I think.
Newbie I would then b yr rich cousin coming from Oakhill De Lasalle ...The school that began my love of rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.