• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Senate enquiry into Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Nup only if the Force stayed and the current board swung by the noose. Plus I don't think he wants them to get any extra coin if necessary. From a future sponsors and Sanzar point of view its not a good look for the establishment sending one of your member unions broke and giving out to other member unions to keep em in the game.

It is not good look for WA rugby either, no legal process starts without being provided a good understanding of the downside of losing

Reactions: daz

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
A bit of background from Hansie (rugby wa president) on TWF

1. Andrew Forrest made commitments to fund OUR legal case. Clayton Utz on behalf of the ARU tried to move an action through the Supreme Court in WA - when we first injuncted - that the case should be dismissed as we could not fund our legal battle. We had a number of people put their hands up to say they would help fund this battle - NOWHERE did we commit to fund their battle, accept losses, damages etc. Once we went to Arbitration and into NSW our commitment became null and void. Andrew together with us, made an offer to the ARU that exceeded 50% of their $840,000.00 claim and a commitment that over time we would endeavour to pay more. It was a "take it or leave it" offer and when left - Andrew quite rightly withdrew his offer.

As directors we have a duty to declare that we are facing insolvency and therefore need an Administrator to continue the operation .

Rugby Juniors and Referees WA, are insulated from this.

Bear in mind RA have just gone through re-branding. An unnecessary cosmetic exercise. They needed votes from all unions to approve the re-branding, we asked how much did this cost, we were told $180K . sorry to say but this is Bulls$%t. Are you telling me all the graphics, changes to posters, signage, business cards, intellectual property, colour selection etc cost this little!!!!

So much for trying to be frugal and channel funds to grass roots.

We will be working closely with Korda to make sure we continue and keep our good people.

Bear in mind, Andrew is still behind the Western Force and we still want to make the IPRC a success.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It is not good look for WA rugby either, no legal process starts without being provided a good understanding of the downside of losing
Anyone that might be concerned about it, would know the background, and would more than likely support their decision not to fund the ARU costs.
What's the downside if this particular entity is liquidated?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I feel for all the grass roots rugby people in WA. Give up your time for the game you love and keep getting fucked over. If you love your rugby outside of the traditional strongholds, it's a feeling you are generally accustomed to. You wouldn't expect some establishment turd from the strong holds to understand though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Too cryptic for me.
Your op inferred that they should have been aware of the downside if they lost, but what is the downside for them in not paying the ARUs costs?
What don't judges care about?

The downside? They still have to pay whatever they can in the process of being wound up.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The downside? They still have to pay whatever they can in the process of being wound up.
which will be three fifths of two thirds of sfa.
They needed a hand out from Twiggy to pay their costs, it's not like they have investments or property.or a sneaky mill or two in term deposits.
Edit: I actually asked what was the downside of them NOT paying, so the answer isn't that they have to pay something.....

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Fatprop a genuine question do you care about what's happened?

Yes, it sucked, but it had to happen, the ARU needed to cut a side. They screwed up letting the Rebels into the Super Rugby Super Rugby wasn't working and the ARU and Super Rugby were going broke, they had to do something The Force was the cheapest/easiest/simplest option so it was them As to the appeal, my point is the judge is reviewing the law and the agreement, not merits of the case

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
What happens to the IPRC if RWA is wound up. Is there a bit of whiteanting going on here?
Mate the IPRC is a totally seperate identity. Obviously whoever the local association is in WA will be getting a fair bit of payback from the IPRC as well. Come to think of it it’s probably gonna be more than what the other member unions will get from the establishment. Wouldn’t that set the cat amongst the pigeons!

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
RugbyWA have sent the below letter around via clubs.

Just as a thought this may be a slightly strategic move with the negative press from the Senate Report RugbyAU wont want any more bad press. They may settle just to make this all go away

Letter from RugbyWA via my club today (emails and phone numbers removed)

Dear Rugby Community Supporter,

Please find attached a letter from the Rugby WA Board that details the recent decision to place Rugby WA into Voluntary Administration.

Also attached is a letter from the RWA Juniors Executive.

In simple terms this does not spell any end to Rugby in WA. While the situation is challenging, the Administration process is focussed on maintaining our operations while we resolve the debt issues noted in the letter. Please rest assured that the Board and the Community Rugby team here will continue to work hard in providing support to all levels of the Rugby Community now and into the future.

It is planned to have an open Club forum on Tuesday evening 21 November commencing at 1830 at RWA. Key RWA Board members will be in attendance, with the purpose to outline this situation, but more importantly to offer an insight into the planned direction forward.

If you have specific queries then please feel free to contact me.

Regards Bob

Bob Hunter is the CEO of RugbyWA
RugyWA Press Release

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/5231e...mail&utm_term=0_d9b24218c0-54b548b293-9770983

Letter from the RugbyWA Juniors (stand alone entity)

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/5231e...sociates+RUFC+-+2017&utm_campaign=54b548b293-

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Mate the IPRC is a totally seperate identity. Obviously whoever the local association is in WA will be getting a fair bit of payback from the IPRC as well. Come to think of it it’s probably gonna be more than what the other member unions will get from the establishment. Wouldn’t that set the cat amongst the pigeons!
Maybe that's why the ARU rejected the settlement.

Carry the debt with the administrators until RugbyWA start swimming in IPRC cash and can pay it

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Too cryptic for me.
Your op inferred that they should have been aware of the downside if they lost, but what is the downside for them in not paying the ARUs costs?
What don't judges care about?
There's personal implications for the directors if they go into liquidation. They can be disqualified from managing any other companies if it's not the first time a company they have been involved in has gone bust.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Thanks mate. Would it make you feel better if I said that ASIC and the AFP are going to raid the Rugby Australia offices and send Cameron Clyne to prison?
I feel good already thanks mate.
The sun just came over the horizon in the east.
Neighbourhood cats still screeching at each other, I guess over bonking rights.
ARU/RA still doing there best to ruin rugby and it's image in Oz.
Braveheart still doesn't think anything will come to anything.
All the mechanisms of the universe seem to be functioning normally.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Yes, it sucked, but it had to happen, the ARU needed to cut a side. They screwed up letting the Rebels into the Super Rugby Super Rugby wasn't working and the ARU and Super Rugby were going broke, they had to do something The Force was the cheapest/easiest/simplest option so it was them As to the appeal, my point is the judge is reviewing the law and the agreement, not merits of the case
I struggle to see how they've saved any money. They've put themselves in a worse position from what I can tell.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I feel good already thanks mate.
The sun just came over the horizon in the east.
Neighbourhood cats still screeching at each other, I guess over bonking rights.
ARU/RA still doing there best to ruin rugby and it's image in Oz.
Braveheart still doesn't think anything will come to anything.
All the mechanisms of the universe seem to be functioning normally.

I think you're conflating someone saying what they think will happen with what they want to happen, which are not the same thing.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I think you're conflating someone saying what they think will happen with what they want to happen, which are not the same thing.

What do you want to happen, Cyclo?

I'm talking the minimum, here.

I think there are posters who are already in that happy place now, but I won't speak for them.

What do you need to see to be reasonably satisfied the slate is clear and the administration of game is able to progress?

Status
Not open for further replies.