• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sevens 2022/23 (World Series etc)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Men’s team really blew opportunity to all but guarantee automatic Olympics spot. Beat Canada and they would have had close to a 10pt advantage into the last round. Still if they can beat RSA it will go a long way to rectifying things and pretty much eliminate them from contention.

Now have a nine-point buffer over Samoa & SA so barring a disaster in London they'll qualify.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
How many points Aussie 7s need to qualify for the Olympics?
For London, essentially they can be 8 points worse than Samoa and 9 points worse than South Africa.

sccesPfk_o.png

So, assuming the same points scale in London as used for the rest of the season, reaching a semifinal guarantees qualification.

Canada's good form (or the Aussie failure against them ...) in Toulouse now means making the quarterfinals in London is only good enough if Samoa don't make the final or South Africa don't win the final.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
With Samoa in the QFs too, what must Australia achieve to stay in the direct qualifications for the Olympics?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ Australia currently lead Samoa by nine points: win their QF & they'll pick up a minimum of 15 comp points which puts them beyond Samoa's reach. Lose their QF they're still guaranteed 10 points so they'd have to then lose the fifth-place SF & Samoa win the Leg (22 points) or finish runner-up (19) & hope the tie-breaker is in their favour.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
With Samoa in the QFs too, what must Australia achieve to stay in the direct qualifications for the Olympics?
What Australia can do is beat Fiji today. The quarter final is our Grand Final.

The interesting thing is the points on offer seem to have changed from the other tournaments during the season. Click here:

"With a maximum of 20 points to play for at the 12-team HSBC London Sevens, it means Australia will guarantee their place in Paris if they reach the Cup semi-finals this weekend, regardless of how far Samoa or South Africa go in the tournament."​

I use the word seem because World Rugby make it up as they go, and have being known to change mid-stream; they're clowns. But, if the above is correct then the placing points are:

1st2nd3rd4th5th6th7th8th

Can only be 8 points fewer than Samoa. So if Samoa gets 20 for the win then Australia needs 12 ... and so on.

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I missed that they'd changed the points, was working off what's been used in every other Leg - must be to do with there only being 12 teams in the main draw rather than the usual 16?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
^ I missed that they'd changed the points, was working off what's been used in every other Leg - must be to do with there only being 12 teams in the main draw rather than the usual 16?
Yeah, WR (World Rugby) are not extra transparent on these things, but I think so (if they don't change their minds ;) ).

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
They’ve gotta stop doing the in match interviews in 7s. Adds nothing to the game

Last edited:

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Just tuned in

So Samoa losing the semi. Did that guarantee Australia’s olympic spot?
I think no. Aus can only get 8 pts less than Samoa, so ... (hasty edit here) ... I think:

1. If Australia gets 8 pts in 7th place then Aus qualify.

2. If Australia gets 6 pts in 8th place then:
(a) Australia qualify if Samoa get 14 pts in 4th place;
(b) Samoa qualify if Samoa get 16 pts in 3rd place .

Last edited:

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Based on my above guesswork, we qualify by beating the Brits.

Decent start so far...