• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Should Subbies be a feeder comp for Grade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
Ive played both however it feels as though both are totally different competitions. Yes, Grade is bigger, stronger, fitter but should there be a more heirarchy from subbies up to grade. For me Grade seems to rely on poaching fellow grade clubs and high turnover of players as they bring in colts. It appeared that Subbies players needed to pitch up to Grade rather than Grade scouting subbies.
Can NSW rugby afford this or is it simply a very well run surburban participation league that covers every corner of Sydney in many levels. How many players in the NSW subbies side would make 1st xv in grade?

T

territorian

From my experience if you thought you were good enough or wanted to, then you would have been at a Grade club anyway. Most subbies players are there for he rugger and the fun. There is a crear difference between Grade training, fitness and expectations than there is at subbies. That's not to say subbies is inferior - some subby clubs are totally into it but as for the players, if they are playing subbies then that is where their expectations and/or probably talent lies.
Even back in the 'olden days' rep honours were received after a series of tournaments - eg. City v Country but in reality how many top players looking for higher honours are trotting around in the new England or Central West competition.
if they are any good AND they seek higher honours they will now be in club or somewhere in the identified pathway system.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Most young guys play colts for a couple of years. If there seems to be a good chance that they will make 1sts or 2nds then they usually stay, otherwise they gravitate back to subbies. Think Newport Juniors untill you are 17, then Warringah Colts till you turn 20. The choice then is do we all go back and play one more year of subbies colts and then for Newport opens or do we get on the cans at home games at Rat Park and cheer on our mates who are still playing. This scenario is played out at every Shute Shield club. At Manly it would be Roos, Marlins, Savers etc.
Leave Subbies as it is.

P

Parra GM

Subbies always was used as feeder clubs to the District Clubs........it's only been last 10 years that Subbies have 'broken away' and stopped sending their better players with ambition up to the local District club. I think it comes from delusions of grandeur from the Subbies employes on the importance of the competition.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Subbies always was used as feeder clubs to the District Clubs........it's only been last 10 years that Subbies have 'broken away' and stopped sending their better players with ambition up to the local District club. I think it comes from delusions of grandeur from the Subbies employes on the importance of the competition.

Subbies players are the ones that tend to play for the love of rugby and for the social side of things...at times in case of district clubs there's that each man for himself attitude that rubs some people the wrong way and spoil the enjoyment for many, so the subbies have a place in the scheme of things. I know this, having played in both plus representative rugby in NSW Country.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)

This has never been the case on the Northern Beaches. If the Saver's were to uncover a gun then they wouldn't ring the Marlins. They would use him to help them win the Meldrum Cup.
I am someone who has watched this competition since my dad and uncles played in the late 70s. This feeder idea never would happen because the majority of the players had previously been involved with the district club and this led them to Subbies, not the other way around.

P

Parra GM

This has never been the case on the Northern Beaches. If the Saver's were to uncover a gun then they wouldn't ring the Marlins. They would use him to help them win the Meldrum Cup.
I am someone who has watched this competition since my dad and uncles played in the late 70s. This feeder idea never would happen because the majority of the players had previously been involved with the district club and this led them to Subbies, not the other way around.

Was very different out west in 70s,80s and 90s. Maybe it didnt happen on the beaches coz of the insular penisula attitude

Status
Not open for further replies.