• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Should Wallabies have pre-Lions training camp or Play S15 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Django

Frank Row (1)
Bring them into camp on Monday. Do your gameplay planning, medical assessment, etc.

If a player is doing A-okay send them back to their province on Thursday night, if they are doing it tough and carrying an injury then rest them.

I think the Super Rugby coaches have a right to request their Wallaby players for every Super Rugby game but not for the Lions games. Though Robbie should allow players who are in the Wob squad but unlikely to be in the 23 to play those games.

Bang on I reckon. The Super Rugby coaches should get a say but can't complain not having them in Lions games I don't think

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
If fit and ready, the eligible reds players should be allowed to play the the lions whilst the remaining players that weekend should play in the super rugby. Match fitness >> training fitness.

The matches closer to the lion's test matches are a bit more difficult to justify though. The waratahs definitely should be able to play whoever they want as that is a full week ahead. The brumbies match is just too close to test day and therefore the risk of injury increased and sub par performance by those players backing up in a couple of days likely (not through effort, but through fatigue).

I am not sure about the western force. To me, playing two games in half a week is a lot and wallabies or not, the risk of injury is increased in that instance. I am not sure the force management would look too favourably on that from a player management perspective. But I think that week is waaaaay before the tests so if they think it is ok, then fine I guess.

The other thing I mentioned in one of the threads, if our super rugby franchises run out complete second string teams in an effort to protect their players, I believe that more injuries will occur due to the differential in skill level. The best available players should play.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
On a slightly different topic, the only people to be rested should be the first test 22 (or is it now 23?) as well. No way should the full squad be rested.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
However, the Waratahs' chances of resisting forfeiting their Wallabies for an extended Test camp before the Lions series have been hit by a needless injury to second-rower Kane Douglas.
Douglas rolled his ankle while playing a game of touch football in a Wallabies logistics camp on Tuesday as part of a promotion for the British and Irish Lions tour.
Cheika said the injury would keep Douglas out of training for at least a fortnight. ''We were assured there would be no rugby content whatsoever, and we've had a player injured shooting an advertisement without the correct strapping,'' Cheika said. ''He's now going to start the season with just two weeks of training - that type of stuff makes it [releasing players] hard to swallow.
''I understand mistakes can happen sometimes but we can minimise them, and that [injury] shouldn't be happening.''

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This is a bit ridiculous that Douglas has been injured during a game of touch football.

If Douglas would routinely get his ankle taped for any dynamic running (i.e. anything but going for a jog where you're running in a straight line) then it should have been strapped to play touch football.

If that is the case, Douglas needs to take as much blame as the ARU. He should know what his preparation for various types of training should be and he shouldn't need someone to remind him to do it every time.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
This is a bit ridiculous that Douglas has been injured during a game of touch football.

If Douglas would routinely get his ankle taped for any dynamic running (i.e. anything but going for a jog where you're running in a straight line) then it should have been strapped to play touch football.

If that is the case, Douglas needs to take as much blame as the ARU. He should know what his preparation for various types of training should be and he shouldn't need someone to remind him to do it every time.

Agreed. Douglas should have sorted his shit out but it's understandable, it really was just a 23yo bloke playing muck about touch.

Players are going to play touch footy, pick-up bball, backyard cricket, etc, in their own time with their mates. It's sad Douglas got hurt but for Chieks to chat to the media about it is petty for mine, it's just a coincidence.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Locks shouldn't be playing touch footy anyway, he doesn't know what a step is.

As a former lock who required a knee reconstruction after a change of direction gone wrong on the touch football field, I concur.

Touch football is a very dangerous sport.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I concur. I once stopped playing rugby because I kept having to get stitches for facial cuts. Not long after I was playing touch, was stupid enough to dive to make a touch, copped a boot to the face and got split open.

I started playing rugby again.

T

TOCC

Yep, touch has been responsible for more 'niggling' injuries for me, sure I did my ACL and got 13 stitches in my eyebrow playing rugby ... But in terms of groin strains, hammy twinges, lower back injuries, jarred fingers and rolled ankles, touch has been more consistent.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'd have thought that the players should definitely play for their super team if that team is still in contention for the finals. If they're 'dead rubbers' you could make a case for resting Wallabies, particularly if there were injury concerns.

Players need to play to maintain match fitness. I think that 3 weeks of no matches before a major test match is probably worse than the risk of injury. I assume that Lions test players would be playing in some of the lead up games and would run the same risk of injury. It's part of rugby, what coaches need to do is as far as possible have depth in positions to cover injuries.

T

TOCC

I think it would definitely prove that their is something broken at the HPU/Wallaby level

T

TOCC

For the Force and Reds its potential that they could play a near full strength team given its 2 weeks out from their first test match... Obviously there are many variables in the situation like combinations, players been rested for injures, different game plans etc...

I think they are likely to rest a lot of players in the Tahs, Brumbies, Combined Country and Rebels matches given the proximity to the Wallaby games, but they will want to run their top players at some point before the Wallabies games.

Status
Not open for further replies.