• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Re: 2010 NSW Club Rugby

Before the season starts let me state here and now: under-estimate West Harbour at your peril. The Pirates have recruited well at all levels of the club, a swag of talented country boys for starters. Last year the whole club wasn't nearly fit enough and the committee has rectified this by pinching the Wests Tigers' strength and conditioning coach. The whole club has put in a massive amount of work on fitness, starting in November. The first round of matches (Colts only) against Warringah last weekend showed how fit they are when the thirds and firsts flogged the Rats and beat the seconds (I reckon the Rats seconds were as good as their firsts) in a tough arm wrestle.

It might be pertinent to note the Pirates beat the Australian Sevens team in the final of the Kiama Sevens and also won the Newcastle Tens in preseason competitions. They're fit.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)

Topo - it is the same Lawrence Marsh. Knowing Lachie Fear's style I would not be surprised to see a lot of new faces at Easts but had only heard of those 2 major signings. I'd expect a number of new fringe first / second graders.

Riddler - IMO Keil is not fit to polish Hercus' boots. The selectors at Gordon are seeing it the same way too. However Hercus is only 50/50 to play round 1. When fit expect him at 10 with Harvey at 12.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)

AussieDominance said:
TheRiddler said:
Are we talking about Mike Hercus, the US Eagle Fly-half? Interesting signing. He's quite old these days (31 I believe) but bags of experience. Will be interesting to see who gets the 1st grade #10 jersey, him or Josh Kiel.

Yeah, played for Gold Coast last season in QLD Premier Rugby...

He is an ex Gordon junior I am pretty sure and ex Shore boy/Australian Schoolboy..

huh. never knew he had such strong aussie ties. native aussie parents too. gotta say i have a lot of respect for him as he's been one of the three stars of usa rugby along with clever and zee ngwenya.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

thatguy said:
Riddler - IMO Keil is not fit to polish Hercus' boots. The selectors at Gordon are seeing it the same way too. However Hercus is only 50/50 to play round 1. When fit expect him at 10 with Harvey at 12.

In the informed opinion of yous guys, is Harvey a chance to be involved in the Rebels? And is he considered a Utility back now?

gone

Ted Fahey (11)

DPK said:
thatguy said:

In the informed opinion of yous guys, is Harvey a chance to be involved in the Rebels? And is he considered a Utility back now?

Personally I think he's missed the boat. He's 27 now, 28 by the time Melbourne starts up. The reds looked at him quite seriously a few years ago (when Eddie Jones was the coach) and he was told then to bulk up and work on his defense. I think the same problems still apply.

He will spend a lot of time (probably the whole season) at 12 this year despite his defense being woeful. Realistically he is more of 10/15.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)

Newb said:
AussieDominance said:
TheRiddler said:
Are we talking about Mike Hercus, the US Eagle Fly-half? Interesting signing. He's quite old these days (31 I believe) but bags of experience. Will be interesting to see who gets the 1st grade #10 jersey, him or Josh Kiel.

Yeah, played for Gold Coast last season in QLD Premier Rugby...

He is an ex Gordon junior I am pretty sure and ex Shore boy/Australian Schoolboy..

huh. never knew he had such strong aussie ties. native aussie parents too. gotta say i have a lot of respect for him as he's been one of the three stars of usa rugby along with clever and zee ngwenya.

Hercus and Huxley were the same year at school. One played GPS 1's, the other 2's. Then they swappend when they made NSW but then I think both made Aussie Schools.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

FORMER NSW flanker Beau Robinson was named in the Rats team on Tuesday ahead of this weekend’s Shute Shield season opener.

The tough forward will return to the game just under three months after the tragic death of his brother Dan.

Young Dan passed away suddenly while visiting older brother Beau in London in January.

Robinson returned to Sydney on Monday night, having spent the past few months grieving with his parents in Dubbo.

He said his inclusion in the Warringah squad for Saturday’s clash against Eastwood at TG Millner Field is exactly what he needs as he gets on with life back in Sydney. “I’m looking forward to getting back into it, just eager to get involved in rugby again,” he told The Manly Daily.

“That’s why I moved back here. This is where I want to be at ... I’m just happy to be playing rugby.”

And clearly the Rats are delighted to have Robinson back in their XV.

Warringah winger Ed Doyle, also back after breaking his ankle last year, said Robinson’s return will give the Rats plenty of energy up front.

“It’s great to have him back,” Doyle said. “He was captain last year and is an inspiration. Obviously it was very sad what happened (with Robinson’s brother), but I’m sure he will be looking forward to getting back.”

The Rats are far from full-strength for the Eastwood game, with Super 14 stars Brett Sheehan, Sam Harris, Pat McCabe, Haig Sare and Josh Holmes all unavailable in the backline.

But their pack will have plenty of starch once again, with ex-England Test backrower Michael Lipman, joining Robinson in what is a formidable backrow.

In the Manly camp, Marlins coach Phil Blake also has a stack of Super 14 players unavailable, but has named a very strong squad for their meeting with Parramatta at Manly Oval. Australian Schoolboys lock Greg Peterson will make his debut for the club, while winger Nemani Nadolo will also trot out for the Marlins.

“We are looking forward to jumping out of the blocks,” Blake said.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)

Well the Gordon selectors are doing their best to make me look like an idiot. Following a preseason where Mark Preston featured exculsively at fullback and Dave Harvey at 12, they have done a u-turn and Harvey will start the season at 15 and Preston will move to 13. Josh Kiel likely to start at 12. Obviously they are big believers in the 2 (or 3) playmakers model... :nta:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

EASTWOOD v WARRINGAH at T.G. Millner Field (ABC TV Game, 3:10pm)
Eastwood: 1. Simon Norris, 2. Chris Hill, 3. Barry Fa'amuasili; 4. Tom Alexander, 5. Chris Young; 6. Gareth Palamo, 7. Hugh Perrett [c], 8. Jarad Hanna; 9. Mick Snowden, 10. James Foote; 11. Cameron Mitchell, 12. Sione Piukala, 13. Tim Bennetts, 14. John Grant; 15. Barney Wood.
Warringah: 1. Pingi Talaapitaga, 2. Luke Holmes, 3. Dan Barnard; 4. Chris Thomson, 5. Hugh Pyle; 6. Beau Robinson, 7. Michael Lipman, 8. Trevor Richardson; 9. Sam Hutcherson, 10. John Kennedy; 11. Ed Doyle, 12. Brock McGarity, 13. Will Sare, 14. Dylan Smouha; 15. Maurice Kennedy.
Referee: Angus Gardner

WEST HARBOUR v NORTHERN SUBURBS at Concord Oval (3:00pm)
West Harbour: 1.Campese Ma'afu, 2. Todd Pearce, 3. Joe Afualo; 4. David Fungalei, 5. Sitiveni Mafi; 6. Sam Latunipulu, 7. Mark Porpiglia, 8. Isaiah Pine [c]; 9. Jeremy Su'a, 10. Jai Ayoub; 11. Tito Mua, 12. Damien Fakafanua, 13. Rory Sidey, 14. Henry Seavula; 15. Nick Reily.
Northern Suburbs: 1. Nathan Rickard, 2. Scott Podmore, 3. Nick Lah [c]; 4. Rory Walton, 5. Ben Matwijow; 6. Seti Tafua, 7. Carlos Blanco, 8. Mat Lamont; 9. Steve Evans, 10. Chris Burnett; 11. Cam Crawford, 12. Chris Moore, 13. James Lew, 14. Junior Kolikata; 15. Ben Borg.
Referee: Anthony Moyes

GORDON v SOUTHERN DISTRICTS at Chatswood Oval (3:00pm)
Gordon: 1.Tobias Gukibau, 2. Nath Nicol, 3. Marty Plokstys; 4. Ed Gower, 5. Jared Barry; 6. Sean Morrell, 7. Craig Thomas, 8. Paulie Tuala; 9. Vinnie Byrne, 10. Mike Hercus [c]; 11. Greg Wade, 12. Josh Keil, 13. Mark Preston, 14. Terry Preston; 15. Dave Harvey.
Southern Districts: 1. Tetera Faulkner, 2. Sam Zlatevski, 3. Dan Palmer; 4. Nifo Nifo, 5. Sita Tuamani; 6. Matt Trouville, 7. Jono Hayes, 8. Ita Vaea; 9. Nathan Sievert, 10. Josh Gamgee; 11. Nicky Price, 12. Brackin Karauria-Henry, 13. Ben Schreiber, 14. Sisa Waqa; 15. Marshall Milroy.
Referee: Steve Hardy

MANLY v PARRAMATTA at Manly Oval (3:00pm)
Manly: 1. Selesi Manu, 2. Elvis Taione, 3. Eddie Aholelei; 4. Greg Peterson, 5. Caydern Neville; 6. Dylan Sigg, 7. Will Brame [c], 8. Marlon Solofuti; 9. Chris Cottee, 10. Ben Seymour; 11. Lui Siale, 12. Alex Miles, 13. John Fakai, 14. Nemani Nadolo; 15. Adam D'Arcy.
Parramatta: 1.Junior Leota, 2. Jono Ede, 3. Tor Killman; 4. Ben Fainga'a, 5. Tony Teapua; 6. Ropati Matangi, 7. Andrew Cox, 8. Maile Latukefu; 9. Brett Gillett, 10. Jason Te Huia; 11. Nathan Lane, 12. Ben Gilbert, 13. Daniel Moore, 14. Richard Williams; 15. Brendan Lane.
Referee: James Scholtens

SYDNEY UNIVERSITY v RANDWICK at University Oval No.1 (3:00pm)
Sydney University: 1. Jerry Yanuyanutawa, 2. Ben Roberts, 3. Pat Ryan; 4. Sam Carter, 5. David McDuling; 6. Hugh Hawkins, 7. Pat McCutcheon, 8. Adam Campbell; 9. Matt Schager, 10. Justin Bosilkovski; 11. Jacob Taylor, 12. Josh Dillon, 13. Peter Betham, 14. Ed Jenkins; 15. Alex Rokobaro.
Randwick: 1. Daniel Spencer, 2. Atonio Halangahu [c], 3. Lotu Taukeiaho; 4. Tim Maxwell, 5. Ross Kennedy; 6. Henry Vanderglas; 7. Stephen Bennie, 8. Sione Kepu; 9. Tony Luxford, 10. Brent Kelly; 11. Bernie Orbell, 12. Dane Inman, 13. Gene Fairbanks, 14. Matt Nethery; 15. Danny Kroll.
Referee: Nathan Pearce

PENRITH v EASTERN SUBURBS at Nepean Rugby Park (3:00pm)
Penrith: 1. Dave Coventry, 2. Matt Borg, 3. Toa Asa; 4. Richard Penisini, 5. Wayne McDonald; 6. Alfred Betham, 7. Winnie Paulo, 8. Junior To'o; 9. Sikuti Vunipola, 10. Stan Tuionuku; 11. Leon Bott, 12. Albert Hopoate, 13. Dave Alo, 14. Filipo Toala; 15. Luke Cross.
Eastern Suburbs: 1. Ofa Fainga'anuku, 2. Jessie Davidson, 3. Rob McMickan; 4. Phil Mathers, 5. Matt McGann; 6. Pauliasi Taumeopeau, 7. Will Brock, 8. Talalelei Gray; 9. Brendan McKibbin, 10. Ben Ward; 11. Anton LaVin, 12. Tim Corcoran, 13. Lloyd Jones, 14. Gavin Debartolo; 15. Pat Dellit.
Referee: Daniel Cheever

REPRESENTATIVE PLAYERS FEATURED THIS ROUND
HSBC Waratahs: Nemani Nadolo (Manly), Dan Palmer (Southern Districts), Rory Sidey (West Harbour), Chris Thomson (Warringah)
HSBC Junior Waratahs (Professional): Tim Bennetts (Eastwood), Adam D'Arcy (Manly), Ofa Fainga'anuku (Eastern Suburbs), Ed Jenkins (Sydney University), Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs), Greg Peterson (Manly), Paddy Ryan (Sydney University)
Brumbies: Henry Vanderglas (Randwick), Jerry Yanuyanutawa (Sydney University)
Australian Sevens (2009/10): Talalelei Gray (Eastern Suburbs), Brackin Karauria-Henry (Southern Districts), Sam Latunipulu (West Harbour), Jacob Taylor (Sydney University)

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

Awesome Noddy. Whats your source?

Does anyone know which game will be televised?

gone

Ted Fahey (11)

Eastwood - Warringah is the TV game.

A couple of thoughts:
- that Warringah forward pack is very strong...
- a couple of nice signings for West Harbour in Sam Latunipulu and Jeremy Su'a, underestimate them at your peril
- Randwick look to me like the early team to beat early in the season (pre super 14 players returning)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Some interesting migrations there: Josh Gamgee and Marshall Milroy to Souths, Leon Bott to Penrith, Phil Mathers and Pauliasi Taumeopeau to Easts, Gene Fairbanks to Randwick.

Have I missed anyone?
Tim McGann to Randwick. So, he's played for Easts Rugby, West Tigers, Munster, Easts again, Southern Districts and Randwick the last six or seven years. Mmm. Not a good look, Tim.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Couple of points of personal interest:

I thought A.Halangahu had gone elsewhere to play professionally?

Betham at 13? You think the Rebels asked them to give it a crack?

T.Grey skipping colts and playing grade? Good man. I remember playing him in schoolboys. I was slightly frightened.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

That's not the QLD Nicky Price(one that went to AFL) lining up for Southern Districts is it?

Gamgee, Nifo & Sisa Waqa(back from league) three ex Gordon boys lining up against Gordon for Souths..

Sione Kepu number 8 for Randwick brother of Sekope??

I tell you what if Penrith can get some pill to the backs they might go alright if they keep that side on the field...

11. Leon Bott, 12. Albert Hopoate, 13. Dave Alo, 14. Filipo Toala

Bott has come from Manly, Hopoate is the Hoppa who played NRL for the Roosters, Alo played for Parramatta before their troubles and played a bit of first grade at Gordon last season and Toala was a regular on the wing for Eastwood last season...

Interesting to see Pauli Taumeopeau back at Easts as well as Phil Mathers ex Kings boy has moved to Easts in the second row Phil was witthe Tahs last season and playing for Eastwood since school... His family basically brought Eastwood to where it is now he had an uncle and father or something that played for Australia from Eastwood.... Matt Borg and Ben Borg are brothers I am pretty sure both played for Parramatta last season and the fullback(Ben) has gone to Norths whilst Matt has gone to Penrith at Hooker...

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

AussieDominance said:
Phil Mathers ex Kings boy has moved to Easts in the second row Phil was witthe Tahs last season and playing for Eastwood since school... His family basically brought Eastwood to where it is now he had an uncle and father or something that played for Australia from Eastwood.... Matt Borg and Ben Borg are brothers I am pretty sure both played for Parramatta last season and the fullback(Ben) has gone to Norths whilst Matt has gone to Penrith at Hooker...

Jim Mathers was a first grade wicketkeeper (for Northern Districts), his son Mick was a Wallaby - pretty sure he is Phil's father. Without detracting from the Mathers' family's sporting achievements, I think it is a huge exaggeration to say that "the family brought Eastwood to where they are now". If any family can claim that honour, it is the Millner family, the scion of which, Col T.G. Millner, bequeathed the land that the playing complex occupies to the club. But a lot of families have made huge contributions over the years, including the Smallwoods, Jacksons, Feggans, Burkes, Papworths, Frosts, and many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.