• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I read in the paper this morning that a fellow called Mark Ella will be the Randwick backs coach from Colts to grade.

Anybody heard about this blow-in before? What would he know about how backs should play?

Played a bit back in the 80's, didn't really amount to much, bit of a novice really.:)

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
another one of those has beens who never made it and is trying to resurect their failed career by going into coaching...?

yellow card

Peter Burge (5)
In this mornings Manly Daily, Kotoni Ale has gone to Manly, Gee the rats will have some backrow problems now with Ale -Manly and Greenway- Gordon But good luck to both of them, looks like its not a happy camp down at Pittwater

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I have a soft spot for the Highlanders but they have only themselves to blame. They are a strong brand in Australian rugby but they are prone from shooting themselves in the foot from time to time. This season we have seen more players fleeing the once-powerful club to greener pastures. All up I think the Gordons will not be so gay in 2011.

Gordon would have to have the most fertile breeding ground of any Australian club with the largest junior club in Oz (Wahroonga Tigers) among a brace of others and a goodish number of private schools with long rugby traditions. Residents of the middle and upper North Shore have long been traditional supporters of rugby; why isn't Gordon always at the pointy end of the Sydney competition? Something must be wrong at Chatswood Oval. For rugby to prosper and grow we NEED strong clubs, like Gordon should be.

G

Grandstand

Gordon would have to have the most fertile breeding ground of any Australian club with the largest junior club in Oz (Wahroonga Tigers) among a brace of others and a goodish number of private schools with long rugby traditions. Residents of the middle and upper North Shore have long been traditional supporters of rugby; why isn't Gordon always at the pointy end of the Sydney competition? Something must be wrong at Chatswood Oval. For rugby to prosper and grow we NEED strong clubs, like Gordon should be.

Gordon traditionally have not converted their strong junior players into Colts and on into grade, allowing them to drift off into other clubs. Compared to clubs such as Easts and Norths the Gordon approach to players leaving school at the end of 2010 year and considering their options for 2011 can only be described at amateurish. Until they become more focused and professional you will continue to see the juniors such as the Goodman twins pop up at other clubs after spending their time in the juniors with Gordon. As a nursery Gordon do well with a number of well run village clubs such as Wahroonga manned by committed parents and a natural talent pool drawing on mainly the local private schools such as Knox, Barker, Aloys, Riverview, Shore etc. Once these kids leave school Gordon needs to offer a clear, well defined and resourced pathway. Success breeds success and Gordon are failing to capitalise on a pool of talent most clubs could only dream of.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Gordon traditionally have not converted their strong junior players into Colts and on into grade, allowing them to drift off into other clubs. Compared to clubs such as Easts and Norths the Gordon approach to players leaving school at the end of 2010 year and considering their options for 2011 can only be described at amateurish. Until they become more focused and professional you will continue to see the juniors such as the Goodman twins pop up at other clubs after spending their time in the juniors with Gordon. As a nursery Gordon do well with a number of well run village clubs such as Wahroonga manned by committed parents and a natural talent pool drawing on mainly the local private schools such as Knox, Barker, Aloys, Riverview, Shore etc. Once these kids leave school Gordon needs to offer a clear, well defined and resourced pathway. Success breeds success and Gordon are failing to capitalise on a pool of talent most clubs could only dream of.

Also there is a fairly strong subbies tradition that way as well. Perhaps a lot of the rugby crowd there play Rugby for the love of it and on the North Shore they can by finding a suitable subbies side rather than heading off to the more professional clubs.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
All good points. The subbies point raised is 100% correct. Gordon could have a Uni like Colts if players didn't have the options they have. Knox Old Boys, Lindfield etc all take away valuable players that could have played for Gordon.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
did gordon have sunday games during school ages? most of the guys from the schools I know played in the Norths comp because they allowed for sunday games, whether they were from the upper north shore, warringah or ryde-eastwood areas.

Also, Gordon need to take up my new logo for them...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
In this mornings Manly Daily, Kotoni Ale has gone to Manly, Gee the rats will have some backrow problems now with Ale -Manly and Greenway- Gordon But good luck to both of them, looks like its not a happy camp down at Pittwater

Ale was in the Oz Schools starting XV in 2008 and hooked up with the Rats in 2009 but he was injured a lot (back splints IIRR) and didn't get a lot of footie. He was ready to get some 1st Grade time in 2010 but Michael Lipman and Beau Robinson returned to the Rats and playing Ale would have meant 3 no. 7s on the park, when 2 already had things out of balance.

I remember that Ale did get a starting match against Sydney Uni when Lipman was hurt last year and had a top game; so his 1st Grade credentials are good. You can't blame him for moving on but the ironic thing is that Lipman and perhaps Robinson will be tied up a lot with their Super teams this year and he would have played a lot. Then at Manly he will find Hooper in front of him.

The Rats didn't do great last year and Sam Harris as a new coach doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Maybe it's a good move for him. He's a good lad and I wish him well.

Cyril Towers (30)
I remember that Ale did get a starting match against Sydney Uni when Lipman was hurt last year and had a top game; so his 1st Grade credentials are good.

I saw him play in that game at Rat Park, Lee, and he had a blinder, athough it was a very understrength Uni team he was up against. MOTM if I remember correctly. Reminded me a bit of Seilala Lam.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I was at Oxford Falls for the CHS vs ISA game in 2008. Talking to a few guys that I knew from the CHS set up, they were confident of a good day. Unfortunately for them the ISA teams forward pack included - Salesi Manu, Sam Roberson, Vaughan Lomax, Luke Jones( or was he in seconds that day) Michael Hooper and Katoni Ale. Greg Gerrard could only shake his head in amazement. Katoni has struggled to live up to any of the hype surrounding his time at schoolboy level. This though is not and nor will it ever be his doing. Hopefully he will be allowed to move on and play some good football without having to be the undeserved recipient of a backpage story.
Finally the Marlins in the off season had a target list of 6. My source say's all are signed.

yellow card

Peter Burge (5)
Ale was in the Oz Schools starting XV in 2008 and hooked up with the Rats in 2009 but he was injured a lot (back splints IIRR) and didn't get a lot of footie. He was ready to get some 1st Grade time in 2010 but Michael Lipman and Beau Robinson returned to the Rats and playing Ale would have meant 3 no. 7s on the park, when 2 already had things out of balance.

I remember that Ale did get a starting match against Sydney Uni when Lipman was hurt last year and had a top game; so his 1st Grade credentials are good. You can't blame him for moving on but the ironic thing is that Lipman and perhaps Robinson will be tied up a lot with their Super teams this year and he would have played a lot. Then at Manly he will find Hooper in front of him.

The Rats didn't do great last year and Sam Harris as a new coach doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Maybe it's a good move for him. He's a good lad and I wish him well.

yes Ale is a very good player but for most of the year in 2nds, looking at the line ups from rugby news Greenway played 7 and Ale played 8 or 6, in the games ive seen him play i would have him at 8 as Greenway was very good at 7. I believe they both played together at ST Augustines now one of the new breading grounds for rugby.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Going off on a tangent here. The best schoolboy backrower in the last 5 years I have seen is Ben Coridis. Why did the Waratahs get rid of this guy? i know he was injury prone but he was drafted into the squad at Robinsons expense only to then fall behind Chris Alcock - who again was tossed in way too early. Go the Tahds.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Going off on a tangent here. The best schoolboy backrower in the last 5 years I have seen is Ben Coridis. Why did the Waratahs get rid of this guy? i know he was injury prone but he was drafted into the squad at Robinsons expense only to then fall behind Chris Alcock - who again was tossed in way too early. Go the Tahds.

Coridas has had a horror run with injuries.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
What is happening with Alcock, BTW? That kiddie looked to be a sensational player when I saw him last year. Rather like young Michael Hooper.

Cyril Towers (30)
What is happening with Alcock, BTW? That kiddie looked to be a sensational player when I saw him last year. Rather like young Michael Hooper.
He has been dropped out of the Waratahs main squad but is still in the extended training squad, sort of like professional academy. Rumour has it he is moving from Gordon to Eastwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.