• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Apparently this goes on every year for a few ABC shows. For example the crew at Mediawatch are only ever put on one season contacts and are effectively unemployed each summer break.
It is a way of penny pinching that the ABC have to do.

So quite possibly a similar thing is happening here.

Hope you're right. This would be a continuation of the downward spiral club rugby is experiencing

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
did i hear correct around the traps over the weekend? The Rugby News (weekly program) is not going to be around next year..and ABCTV is seriously considering their position televising games..?
Expect a rear guard action by the more focussed and solvent clubs to save Rugby News. It can't be allowed to wither away but maybe needs to broaden its appeal (schools and more Super 15 content etc) and on the strength of this weekend's edition, its editorial standards with Richard Hooper morphing into his more famous brother!

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Galah, I would suggest that they can't even cover current content without making a loss. Expansion would be the death of it. But that said I'm all for giving a preview to people who are interested in the 14ms match of the round.
Lastly, is anyone going to address the elephant in the room? That would be the 2Blues performance this afternoon. Not good enough for finals football.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Coulda been much worser.
Lots worser. in fact the mostest worstest scenario was if Randwick or Gordon were the opponents.

SRU would do well to smell the roses while they are drinking the coffee as they enjoy the journey on the tourbus around Rugbydom. All is not well in the kingdom.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
^^^ Coulda been much worser.
Lots worser. in fact the mostest worstest scenario was if Randwick or Gordon were the opponents.

SRU would do well to smell the roses while they are drinking the coffee as they enjoy the journey on the tourbus around Rugbydom. All is not well in the kingdom.

Gordon and Randwick didn't make the finals for a reason? Perhaps referring to the amount of teams that made the finals series.

Eight is way too many.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Galah, I would suggest that they can't even cover current content without making a loss. Expansion would be the death of it. But that said I'm all for giving a preview to people who are interested in the 14ms match of the round.
Lastly, is anyone going to address the elephant in the room? That would be the 2Blues performance this afternoon. Not good enough for finals football.

Lily, you are correct, Parras performance was below their best today. They are much better than they showed today, however Manly applied pressure and turned Parras errors into points. Can you at least acknowledge the progress our club has made and support a group of committed people trying to keep a rugby foothold in greater Sydney.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ryan,

The Mighty Two Blues finished ahead of Gordon and Randwick this season. In a few more years, this state of affairs may become the norm. At the moment despite the results today, given recent history, finishing ahead of the Gay Gordons and the Wicks is to be celebrated. Well done your mob. Keep it up for Season 2013. Don't let your Mr Bell go.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It just proves how much a gap the new competition style creates between the top 6 and the bottom 6. Get rid of it!

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Congratulations to Manly today - far too good for the Mighty Two Blues who were left without answers to Manly's pace and power.

And congratulations to the Mighty Two Blues players, coaches and management for a spirited and entertaining season. You've come a long way in a short time. Today showed there's still a way to go but we should take some time to reflect just how far the Two Blues have come.

kabbear

Frank Nicholson (4)
The Marlins were no doubt the better team at the village green on Sunday but congratulations to Parra and their supporters. Great to see so many 2blues supporters at the game!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Both Parramatta and Norths finished in the top 6. What's your point?
Top 6 Bottom 6 club championship separation, I don't think it was a comment about Parra, more a comment about Parra not playing top quality opposition for the second half of the season. Ie
Norths put 75 on the rats,
Not taking anything away from Parra, Manly should have put another 20 points on the board but didn't.
It was good to see the 2 Blus turn up and have passion and attitude.

T

Tahboy

So where too now for the two Blues
How do they find the 30 points needed to challenge a top 4 side?
They have the good coaching and front office
But they have no quality colts coming through and no lower grade support
So what would there next move be?

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
I suspect RN will survive but you've got to love the belated hand wringing or is it cocodile tears from the SMH today. Barely a column inch to Shield this year yet plenty of time to speculate or intrigue on who the Waratahs coach will be or whether Sonny Bill will join them instead of the Roosters .

As to the two Blues - what of the Rats the week before? Parra had to play a red hot Manly (who did not turn up the week before v Uni) on their own paddock. The competition needs a strong Parramatta and I note the suggestion from Ryan 09 on another thread that their colts programme for '13 looks good .

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Jeremy that is harsh, they were off the pace yesterday and we should have put on another 20+ points on them. I don't think we were red hot yesterday, there is a bit of a gap between yesterday and Ruthless.
Rats were the same the week before - they leaked 60 points to Nths in the second half.
I think the 2 Blus are coming along well, and are doing it the right way, it's not an overnight change.
They are also promoting club rugby alot as well, which is good for all of us.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Jeremy that is harsh, they were off the pace yesterday and we should have put on another 20+ points on them. I don't think we were red hot yesterday, there is a bit of a gap between yesterday and Ruthless.
Rats were the same the week before - they leaked 60 points to Nths in the second half.
I think the 2 Blus are coming along well, and are doing it the right way, it's not an overnight change.
They are also promoting club rugby alot as well, which is good for all of us.
Red hot may have overstated the Marlins but they were more like the side which put plenty on Uni in round 2 . If the same side turns up v Souths this weekend they should be playing Norths in the GF and that really would be good for the competition!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I for one am happy that the Two Blues are back in the top half in the comp after many years in the cellar. As an outsider it looks like they've reformed the club and are on the right path. To make the finals this year is a great achievement.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
So where too now for the two Blues
How do they find the 30 points needed to challenge a top 4 side?
They have the good coaching and front office
But they have no quality colts coming through and no lower grade support
So what would there next move be?

Depth is an issue which is being addressed and recruitment of Colts and senior plyers is a focus. That said, in the first half of the season, Parramatta beat Norths and lost to Eastwood by 5 (with a disallowed try on the bell) and to Manly by only 7. What we don't have is a raft of Super and test players drifting back to bolster the grades. But then if I were a regular first grader at a top 4 club for 14 rounds only to lose my spot to a Super player who's on an ARU contract, I'd be disillusioned if not pissed off. I might go where I'll get a go all season under an astute coach in a club with a passion to get back on top.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Depth is an issue which is being addressed and recruitment of Colts and senior plyers is a focus. That said, in the first half of the season, Parramatta beat Norths and lost to Eastwood by 5 (with a disallowed try on the bell) and to Manly by only 7. What we don't have is a raft of Super and test players drifting back to bolster the grades. But then if I were a regular first grader at a top 4 club for 14 rounds only to lose my spot to a Super player who's on an ARU contract, I'd be disillusioned if not pissed off. I might go where I'll get a go all season under an astute coach in a club with a passion to get back on top.

Ryan, neither does Manly, well the ones Manly have worked their way there - PM sent.
I think what made it hard for you guys down is seperation from the top 6 after the first round. Top 6 got stronger due to playing tougher oposition week in week out. Botton 6 played against the rest.
You guys are doing some good things, depths doesnt happen overnight, keep at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.