• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013 Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Is Lala Lam moving? I think he is a player that really should of cracked super rugby a while ago.

I suspect he would have been trialling with one of the Aussis S15 teams this year if he hadn't spent the whole of last year and significant parts of the previous year out injured. He really needs to spend time on the paddock.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I suspect he would have been trialling with one of the Aussis S15 teams this year if he hadn't spent the whole of last year and significant parts of the previous year out injured. He really needs to spend time on the paddock.

Very true mate - will be very interested to see where he plays this year...

senior

Peter Burge (5)
thecow I find these details a bit murky. Sydney University rugby club organise scholarships for they players they want anyway. The good that comes out of one good young rugby player attending Sydney Uni (who probably would have found his way to Sydney Uni No.1 anyway) as opposed to the good that Israel Folau could have done at any of the three clubs situated further west is a no brainer. As far as helping the community goes I don't think this was a good decision and again reflects Sydney Uni attitudes to the rest of the competition.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
http://www.sydneyunirugby.com.au/_b..._aligns_with_Sydney_University_Football_Club/

As you can see, Folau has been generous enough to offer a scholarship to an up and coming player. But all there is in this thread is pessimism about him joining the club. Research your facts before you make up your mind!
Do you think Folau is putting his hand in his pocket to pay for this?
Or maybe one of the scholarships they hand out to one of next years Aust Schoolboys will be called the Israel Folou scholarship?

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)
Just means Uni can "Buy" another Aust Schoolboy with Folau's "generosity"... Like he was gonna go to university anyway? So much for the player points cap system that was introduced a few years ago to stop one club having majority rep players, which in itself is a farce when players like Phil Waugh can play for Uni for 0 points even though he was plucked from another club all those years ago... Yet plenty of local juniors at clubs are worth 11/12/15 points? Stitch up

B

BellyTwoBlues

I think we're missing the point a bit. Blaming it on Uni is not the issue. I'm the first to jump up and down and rabbit on about unfair playing ground etc. But in the end, they're only doing what they think is right for their club. Just like I am for Parra.

The real issue is that the geniuses at NSWRU have neither the intestinal fortitude nor the foresight to direct the player where to go.

It is unlikely that Izzy will play much club, if any. But I repeat, that is not the issue at all.

As for who's paying for the scholarship. I couldn't give a crap. Fair play to whoever came up with the idea, as it will still provide a kid with the opportunity to get a good education. But there's absolutely no reason why, if Izzy was directed to go to another club that a similar scholarship could not have been created at any of the many other Uni's in NSW.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
playing at the wicks.

Good news for aussie rugby and Randwick - hopefully he stays injury free and smashs it this year.

I remember him playing for Eddies - insanely good schoolboy player....he was playing 1st XV at 15...

latrell247

Chris McKivat (8)
Just means Uni can "Buy" another Aust Schoolboy with Folau's "generosity". Like he was gonna go to university anyway? So much for the player points cap system that was introduced a few years ago to stop one club having majority rep players, which in itself is a farce when players like Phil Waugh can play for Uni for 0 points even though he was plucked from another club all those years ago. Yet plenty of local juniors at clubs are worth 11/12/15 points? Stitch up

Players point system? Never heard of such a thing (cough cough) The players point system was never really policed or rectified appropriately. Sydney Uni have so much depth with plenty of money to throw at the players. They can field a team of 22 with super rugby contracted players tomorrow if they wanted.
1. Jeremy Tilse - Waratahs
2. Nathan Charles - Rebels
3. Laurie Weeks - Rebels
4. Trent Dyer - Rebels
5. Ollie Atkins - Waratahs
6. Dave Dennis - Waratahs
7. Patrick McCutcheon - Waratahs
8. Ben McCalman - Rebels
9. Nick Phipps - Rebels
10. Berrick Barnes - Waratahs
11. Alfi Mafi - Rebels
12. Tom Carter - Waratahs
13. Mitch Inman - Rebels
14. Tom Kingston - Waratahs
15. Israel Folau - Waratahs
16. Patrick Ryan - Waratahs
17. Tim Davidson - Rebels
18. Nick Stirzaker - Rebels
19. Bernard Foley - Waratahs
20. Michael Hodge - Waratahs
21. Lachie Mitchell - Rebels
22. Angus Roberts - Rebels

whilst Penrith have no representative players. How can the shute shield ever be competitive. I am a fan of what Jake White has done in the Camberra comp.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Players point system? Never heard of such a thing (cough cough) The players point system was never really policed or rectified appropriately. Sydney Uni have so much depth with plenty of money to throw at the players. They can field a team of 22 with super rugby contracted players tomorrow if they wanted.

whilst Penrith have no representative players. How can the shute shield ever be competitive. I am a fan of what Jake White has done in the Camberra comp.

Uni has an offering that no other club has, they take advantage of it because they can.
For all the other clubs out there, if they do the right thing and create a strong club why should they loose players if the Jake White rule is applied?
Use Parra as an example - year 3 of the rebuild - lets say year 5 comes along and they have a hand full of Super players, are you proposing these players are asked to change clubs?

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Uni has an offering that no other club has, they take advantage of it because they can.
For all the other clubs out there, if they do the right thing and create a strong club why should they loose players if the Jake White rule is applied?
Use Parra as an example - year 3 of the rebuild - lets say year 5 comes along and they have a hand full of Super players, are you proposing these players are asked to change clubs?

Canberra and Sydney are apples and oranges. The Brumbies are not filled with locals growing up in the local comp. If the Brumbies hope to have the community engage with the team and the players, then the palyers have to engage with the community. That's the basis of White's policy. I definitely see a place for the Waratahs to direct players to clubs but not at the expense of a Club that has developed a player.

Using Falou as an example, he should be directed to a club. Players transferring from other Super Rugby sides or returned from overseas should be directed where to play. The academy system could be a grey area but as these players arguably owe their opportunities to the resources of the Waratahs academy then the justification is there for the Waratahs to direct them where to play. Players who've spent their playing career at one club should be rewarded for their club's and their own loyalty and go where they want to.

Spreading of the talent with lift the entire competition. Then maybe the idea of a third tier and all those other arguments would be redundant:p

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Canberra and Sydney are apples and oranges. The Brumbies are not filled with locals growing up in the local comp. If the Brumbies hope to have the community engage with the team and the players, then the palyers have to engage with the community. That's the basis of White's policy. I definitely see a place for the Waratahs to direct players to clubs but not at the expense of a Club that has developed a player.
Agree, but if the Brumbies have drafted players that have a junior attachment else where those players should be able to still play with the related club. I.e. Michael Hooper.

Using Falou as an example, he should be directed to a club. Agreed. Players transferring from other Super Rugby sides or returned from overseas should be directed where to play Overseas players returning I disagree here as well, I'm sure Manly would love to see George Smith, or Peter Hewatt return . The academy system could be a grey area but as these players arguably owe their opportunities to the resources of the Waratahs academy then the justification is there for the Waratahs to direct them where to play. It is talent, and junior rugby - not so much the accadamy. Players who've spent their playing career at one club should be rewarded for their club's and their own loyalty and go where they want to. Agreed. I would have like to see Folau go to Parra, a return for doing the right things.

Spreading of the talent with lift the entire competition. Then maybe the idea of a third tier and all those other arguments would be redundant:p
Really, I'll use Eastwood 2011 as an example they werent littered with Super 15 players, they had a good coach and a developed team - so you want to pull them apart and spread the talent? That would not be right, a club creates the right culture, and develops a good brand & team and then it gets destroyed????

peter m

Frank Row (1)
I did hear 3 or 4 players from the havelock north club in hawkes bay in new zealand may be playing for norths this year but I dont know if its confirmed.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
1. Jeremy Tilse - Waratahs
2. Nathan Charles - Rebels
3. Laurie Weeks - Rebels
4. Trent Dyer - Rebels
5. Ollie Atkins - Waratahs
6. Dave Dennis - Waratahs
7. Patrick McCutcheon - Waratahs
8. Ben McCalman - Rebels
9. Nick Phipps - Rebels
10. Berrick Barnes - Waratahs
11. Alfi Mafi - Rebels
12. Tom Carter - Waratahs
13. Mitch Inman - Rebels
14. Tom Kingston - Waratahs
15. Israel Folau - Waratahs
16. Patrick Ryan - Waratahs
17. Tim Davidson - Rebels
18. Nick Stirzaker - Rebels
19. Bernard Foley - Waratahs
20. Michael Hodge - Waratahs
21. Lachie Mitchell - Rebels

I agree the points system has flaws and loopholes, but I don't agree that it's not policed. The points for each team are published every week on the NSWRU website for all to see so its application is transparent. We can certainly debate whether it's fair or achieved the desired outcome (I don't believe it has), but it is policed.

Status
Not open for further replies.