• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Terrific game by O'Connor , scored 2 tries ,set up another ,& clearly a class above anyone else on the field.
With 6 first graders missing West Harbour not good enough , & made a lot of fundamental mistakes , costing them any chance.
A howler by the linesman in the final minutes to rival that seen at Old Trafford on Friday robbed West Harbour of a try & a bonus point , but
Warringah deserved the win.
From memory ,David Harvey kicked 8 out of 8.

It was a shocker for sure. And the ball was put down only millimetres away from the tj and he STILL got it wrong. A Warringah player ran into the touchie in the movement (think it was Harvey). It certainly helped in stopping the try from being awarded.

See attached.

Attachments

• TJ shocker.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 310

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
The other thing was that rather shit spectacle right on half time when the Souths wing blindsided Mitchell. I know Mitchell had been a dickhead right before that, but if you're going to throw a punch at least do it when you're facing a bloke.

I thought it was a silly and uncharacteristic gesture by Lachie Mitchell which provoked a reflex reaction. Unfortunately it took the gloss off a great winger's run and equally great covering tackle. All in the heat of battle.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I thought it was a silly and uncharacteristic gesture by Lachie Mitchell which provoked a reflex reaction. Unfortunately it took the gloss off a great winger's run and equally great covering tackle. All in the heat of battle.

Agreed Bruce. It was all round dumb by both parties.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
It was a shocker for sure. And the ball was put down only millimetres away from the tj and he STILL got it wrong. A Warringah player ran into the touchie in the movement (think it was Harvey). It certainly helped in stopping the try from being awarded.

See attached.

That's disgusting.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Can university be beaten in the finals?
How
Yes, they need to be matched up front. Uni's backs need to be contained, and then the game plan to score more points than they do. The game plan.
Then when Uni feels the pressure on the score board and they revert to field position and rolling maul the opposition requires the fitness and depth to compete in the forwards.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Yes, they need to be matched up front. Uni's backs need to be contained, and then the game plan to score more points than they do. The game plan.
Then when Uni feels the pressure on the score board and they revert to field position and rolling maul the opposition requires the fitness and depth to compete in the forwards.
Yes ,a game plan involving scoring more points than Uni score could be what's needed.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yes ,a game plan involving scoring more points than Uni score could be what's needed.

Highly unlikely in the forseeable future, of course, that the Camperdown Self-Interest Corporation will fail to win the comp. That is, apparently, their divine right.

Bugger the game of rugby. Who cares about the grassroots.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Can university be beaten in the finals?
How
With everyone available their 2nds could win the comp

Kingston looked great @ 15 & Souths forwards were not athletic enough to match the dynamism of Uni, it was like a Bok pack playing a Kiwi pack

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Late Starter

Allen Oxlade (6)
Highly unlikely in the forseeable future, of course, that the Camperdown Self-Interest Corporation will fail to win the comp. That is, apparently, their divine right.

Bugger the game of rugby. Who cares about the grassroots.

Geez Wamberal you're a broken record. Don't get me wrong I'm all for tribalism but have you listened to yourself? This is sport, not communism; teams try to win! What do you want Uni to do? Decide they've won enough now and start helping other clubs to do so?

Most of the members of this forum recognise how Uni have reached where they are now and suggest that other clubs try to emulate this. In my opinion this is what is happening and the standard of grade rugby in Sydney has increased considerably in the past 5 years.

I try to stay out of this kind of argument but I tire of your garbage. Be tribal, hate Uni by all means, but your comments are just good old fashioned tall poppy syndrome, plain and simple.

Late Starter

Allen Oxlade (6)
Commenting on the game...... I was really impressed with Uni's game plan. I thought that Souths would really dominate in the forwards with their players at 4, 5 and 6 but I think Uni's game plan worked to nullify this threat somewhat. They played with more width than usual I thought and certainly for the home supporter it was a very entertaining match.

A great day at the office for Nathan Trist who played his 200th grade game for the club and broke the club point scoring record with the last try of the day in 1st grade. Tristy's a guy who started at the club in 4th grade colts but worked his way up through the system and ultimately got a crack in the Waratahs last season. Well done Tristy.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah it looked great for Souths in the first few minutes and the game plan was spot on: hit up around the fringes and get the defence going backwards so the backline could go to work. I think the problem really arose in that they couldn't convert that pressure into tries, rather than a couple of penalties. If it hadn't been so early in the game I reckon one or two Uni players might have been binned as well. Once they absorbed that pressure and were able to get their structures going it was one way traffic after that.

Uni look a massive threat come finals time and I think Eastwood are the only team who can beat them, because they have almost as much starch up front.

Absent Friend

Peter Burge (5)
Yeah it looked great for Souths in the first few minutes and the game plan was spot on: hit up around the fringes and get the defence going backwards so the backline could go to work. I think the problem really arose in that they couldn't convert that pressure into tries, rather than a couple of penalties. If it hadn't been so early in the game I reckon one or two Uni players might have been binned as well. Once they absorbed that pressure and were able to get their structures going it was one way traffic after that.

Uni look a massive threat come finals time and I think Eastwood are the only team who can beat them, because they have almost as much starch up front.
Watched the Eastwood v Gordon game on Club Rugby TV last night. An Eastwood /Uni GF is possible and might be a good match up, but Eastwood dont appear to have the massive fire power to match Uni. The Perret/Palermo/Roach back row of the Woodies is fantastic, and Hilgendorf is running the backline well. I just get the impression that the Woodies error rate is too high and some of the basic skills get forgotten/poorly executed too often to win the really tough ones. Hope I am wrong, and I hope that when McDougall returns to the mid field and all starters are fit and well, Woodies can realise their potential.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Watched the Eastwood v Gordon game on Club Rugby TV last night. An Eastwood /Uni GF is possible and might be a good match up, but Eastwood dont appear to have the massive fire power to match Uni. The Perret/Palermo/Roach back row of the Woodies is fantastic, and Hilgendorf is running the backline well. I just get the impression that the Woodies error rate is too high and some of the basic skills get forgotten/poorly executed too often to win the really tough ones. Hope I am wrong, and I hope that when McDougall returns to the mid field and all starters are fit and well, Woodies can realise their potential.
I think the top 3 have the team to beat Uni on their day.

Manly's forward pack if all on deck;
Tim Fairbrother, Pat Leafa, Eddie Aholelei, Caydren Neville, Ed Gower, Luke Jones, Jordy Ried, Dan Alley, (hope!! Kotoni Ale and Wycliffe Palu get back and can start).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think the top 3 have the team to beat Uni on their day.

Manly's forward pack if all on deck;
Tim Fairbrother, Pat Leafa, Eddie Aholelei, Caydren Neville, Ed Gower, Luke Jones, Jordy Ried, Dan Alley, (hope!! Kotoni Ale and Wycliffe Palu get back and can start).

True, but the Uni Bench is the place where they smack you.

Manly's reserves will essentially be 1st graders, Uni's are S15 starters

Like which TH prop Weakes or Ryan?
Which Lock? Atkins, Skelton, Winton .... .. .
Which 9? Phipps, Stirzaker or Burgess?

Which 13? English or Inman

etc etc

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
True, but the Uni Bench is the place where they smack you.

Manly's reserves will essentially be 1st graders, Uni's are S15 starters

Like which TH prop Weakes or Ryan?
Which Lock? Atkins, Skelton, Winton .. .. .
Which 9? Phipps, Stirzaker or Burgess?

Which 13? English or Inman

etc etc

I know, aren't we lucky a reserve bench can only be so big, there will be no room left after Ryan & Skelton take their seat.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
With everyone available their 2nds could win the comp

Kingston looked great @ 15 & Souths forwards were not athletic enough to match the dynamism of Uni, it was like a Bok pack playing a Kiwi pack

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I only saw the first half. But Kingston did look okay. His first kick was charged down, but he seems to really like it back there, I still feel he is an Outside-Centre and hopefully he can get some more game time there next season at the Rebels although Inman and English will both be looking to play there. Bloody hell Uni have a bit of depth.

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
It was fantastic to see the local junior rugby clubs having a run at half time during the Marlins V Penrith game on Saturday.

I also read on the Manly thread that the 2002 U'11's Manly rep team players Michael Hooper, Jordy Reid, Dan Alley Tyron Rota, Adam Crerar and Harry Bergelin were all playing for the Marlins on Saturday. Now THAT IS grass roots rugby at its best...... you wouldn't see it at Sydney Uni!!!

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
It was fantastic to see the local junior rugby clubs having a run at half time during the Marlins V Penrith game on Saturday.

I also read on the Manly thread that the 2002 U'11's Manly rep team players Michael Hooper, Jordy Reid, Dan Alley Tyron Rota, Adam Crerar and Harry Bergelin were all playing for the Marlins on Saturday. Now THAT IS grass roots rugby at its best.. you wouldn't see it at Sydney Uni!!!

I had to play against that rep team growing up, was always my favourite game of the year......pretty sure theres a few more manly guys from that age group who still play at manly

Status
Not open for further replies.