• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Perhaps the NSWRU could publish a clarifying answer on this thread via a trusty ...... we know you are reading it!

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Not sure why the moderator deleted my comment. All I said was that it sucked to be a 4th grader this time of year due to the influx of professional players at all clubs.

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)
How do they justify putting Tilse in 2nd grade? Wouldn't he be getting the shits with that sort of treatment? Surely he should be playing somewhere else. And David Fong played for the Sydney team 2 years ago? Now in 4th grade?

That poor rugby club having such depth. Good luck to anyone else

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
How do they justify putting Tilse in 2nd grade? Wouldn't he be getting the shits with that sort of treatment? Surely he should be playing somewhere else. And David Fong played for the Sydney team 2 years ago? Now in 4th grade?

Tilse ≠ Ambition

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)

See lily's comments above. There'd have to be a lot reflected glory for Fong to cop it

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Benn Robinson at LHP for the Magnificent Men.

I predict two consecutive losses for the lads. Deja vu all over again.

Money, money, money, ain't it funny, in a rich man's world.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Not sure why the moderator deleted my comment. All I said was that it sucked to be a 4th grader this time of year due to the influx of professional players at all clubs.
What comment? I can't see a comment that has been deleted? Which page was it on? Comments deleted by us leave a "trace".

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Benn Robinson at LHP for the Magnificent Men.

I predict two consecutive losses for the lads. Deja vu all over again.

Money, money, money, ain't it funny, in a rich man's world.

Sorry about my fat thumbs above GAGR's ......

Wamberal I think you are being too pessimistic and the Woodies will be thereabouts at least in terms of GF spot . Your sentiment however, underscores the farce the present SS structure and Uni's continued dominance has become the Woodies as minor premiers may as well have placed 8th - they get little reward for a great season. I am a true Marlins believer but fear for the MMM's on Sunday particularly up front with Tim Fairbrother out.

I along with many others on this thread have tried (particularly after being birched by Bruce) to be in the Uni are the benchmark we need to emulate them camp - this has indeed been the orthodoxy at Manly for the past couple of years but what I have seen in terms of results in recent weeks and Uni's playing roster this weekend says money alone will never allow the other clubs to catch up . Uni has too much drawing power in this hyper aspirational era in terms of the whole package it offers and the world beyond rugby it opens up for young players . Even if we get player rosters limited by objective measurement of non cash benefits in some way over the line in 2014 I doubt much will change. More radical measures are called for.

The Shute Shield must, to the extent it can be accomodated (there are sufficient non cricket grounds available between the clubs even though the odd double header or skewing of alternate home and away may be required before April), be played in parallel with the Soups and players only allowed to qualify for finals if they have played at least 4 SS grade games. As others more sage have suggested a super clubs tournament can then follow. The first grade player offering at Manly this Sunday is an example of the 3rd tier quality that could be offered at the back end of the season - it is close to a bonus Super 15 game .

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Sorry about my fat thumbs above GAGR's ..

Wamberal I think you are being too pessimistic and the Woodies will be thereabouts at least in terms of GF spot . Your sentiment however, underscores the farce the present SS structure and Uni's continued dominance has become the Woodies as minor premiers may as well have placed 8th - they get little reward for a great season. I am a true Marlins believer but fear for the MMM's on Sunday particularly up front with Tim Fairbrother out.

I along with many others on this thread have tried (particularly after being birched by Bruce) to be in the Uni are the benchmark we need to emulate them camp - this has indeed been the orthodoxy at Manly for the past couple of years but what I have seen in terms of results in recent weeks and Uni's playing roster this weekend says money alone will never allow the other clubs to catch up . Uni has too much drawing power in this hyper aspirational era in terms of the whole package it offers and the world beyond rugby it opens up for young players . Even if we get player rosters limited by objective measurement of non cash benefits in some way over the line in 2014 I doubt much will change. More radical measures are called for.

The Shute Shield must, to the extent it can be accomodated (there are sufficient non cricket grounds available between the clubs even though the odd double header or skewing of alternate home and away may be required before April), be played in parallel with the Soups and players only allowed to qualify for finals if they have played at least 4 SS grade games. As others more sage have suggested a super clubs tournament can then follow. The first grade player offering at Manly this Sunday is an example of the 3rd tier quality that could be offered at the back end of the season - it is close to a bonus Super 15 game .

Agree with everything in your last paragraph. Moving the Shute Shield (and other respective competitions) forward to run concurrently with Super Rugby to allow some sort of Super Club/Rep competition during the RC would be the best outcome for Rugby in terms of player development.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
A shorter Shute Shield Season surely suits some scribes semi serious suggestions some Shute Shield clubs should stop subscribing.

Dropping some clubs would allow for a full home/away series to be played before the Soup finishes, and the returning professionals muddy the waters.

A full home/away series would be the fairest way to qualify for the finals. hard to argue that club X got an advantage because they only played Hot Shot Club once, while Club Y had to play them twice.

Alternately play everyone once (pot luck home or away) and a finals series. Then a second competition in the latter section of the year when the Soup boys are available. Qualification for this competition is based on a team having a minimum number of player points worked out on the same basis of the allocation of points for the early part of the season. Be interesting how that would work with so many Soup players player points reduced to 0 on the basis of loyalty discounts.

Any tinkering with the Grade system would need to consider what happens with the Colts, who don't "suffer" an imbalance from returning Soup players. That imbalance seems to be built in at registration time.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A shorter Shute Shield Season surely suits some scribes semi serious suggestions some Shute Shield clubs should stop subscribing.

Dropping some clubs would allow for a full home/away series to be played before the Soup finishes, and the returning professionals muddy the waters.

A full home/away series would be the fairest way to qualify for the finals. hard to argue that club X got an advantage because they only played Hot Shot Club once, while Club Y had to play them twice.

Alternately play everyone once (pot luck home or away) and a finals series. Then a second competition in the latter section of the year when the Soup boys are available. Qualification for this competition is based on a team having a minimum number of player points worked out on the same basis of the allocation of points for the early part of the season. Be interesting how that would work with so many Soup players player points reduced to 0 on the basis of loyalty discounts.

Any tinkering with the Grade system would need to consider what happens with the Colts, who don't "suffer" an imbalance from returning Soup players. That imbalance seems to be built in at registration time.

I'd rather not see them drop teams from the schedule. As I see it they could work one of two ways.

The first, is they could look to past expansion efforts and include the likes of the Sydney-centric country regions in Illawarra, Central Coast and Hunter/Newcastle. Play each other once for a 14 game regular season plus a finals series so the season is run and won in around 18 weeks. If the new Junior Gold Cup works out its not beyond reason that this format would be worthwhile in the future in terms of the country regions as by participating in such competitions will see those kids from these regions involved eventually matriculate into these teams down the track.

The second options is one I've posted before and a again its a bot back to the future in its nature. Split the current structures into 2 divisions of eight teams. The top 8 this season form the 1st division and the bottom 4 are joined by once again the Sydney centric Country Unions plus a new development club from Sydney. That way you would agains have a 14 game regular season with a two week finals series for 16 weeks. Add in another week for a promo/relegation game. Both options would deliver two tiers of competitive Rugby with teams from both divisions reasonably well matched with those in their division while providing the option of progression.

Both options would then leave more than adequate opportunity for post season competition.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
The coach is on the money again. A few amalgamated teams post SS season would benefit Australian rugby in general. It would also offer more of an incentive for players during the SS to strive for spots in the post season comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.