• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
All the other major and not so major sports - NRL(?), AFL, A-League, Basketball, Womens Football, Ice Hockey (FFS), and others have been able to get National Club or Inter-state club competitions going - why can't Rugby do it. All this talk of a thrid tier made up of special franchises I believe is unnecessary. A national club competition should be a major priority in re-establishing rugby as a major sport in OZ

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I thought Dell was the poster child for the Cabana Bar. Once again moderators cant you set up a new thread that deals with unrealistic 3rd tier options and leave this one to people that want to talk about the Shute Shield in it's existing format. I wonder sometimes how many of my fellow poster's even watch it.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
All the other major and not so major sports - NRL(?), AFL, A-League, Basketball, Womens Football, Ice Hockey (FFS), and others have been able to get National Club or Inter-state club competitions going - why can't Rugby do it. All this talk of a thrid tier made up of special franchises I believe is unnecessary. A national club competition should be a major priority in re-establishing rugby as a major sport in OZ

Because rugby already has a professional competition (Super Rugby) and there is neither money nor sufficient support for a 2nd one. (Sorry for being off topic. I will let it go now).

SackRobbie

Chris McKivat (8)
Back on topic - The chit chat is that West Harbour openside Daniel Midghall is being converted to #9 because of lack of halfbacks at the Club.

The Club is on the look out for #9's and have offered an ARC player a return on good wedge. He is yet to take it up.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Dell played for the Gold Coast after being dropped from the Wallabies

He played rugby on the Gold Coast after he first moved from the Broncos.
By Iain Payten

June 11, 2009 12:00am

HEAD to Concord Oval this weekend and you'll get three things: five grades, a steak sandwich and a million bucks worth of former NRL talent.
As the Wallabies finalise preparations for their first Test against Italy on Saturday, a few hours north Lote Tuqiri, Timana Tahu and a high-priced portfolio of Wallabies stars will be found in the far quieter surrounds of club rugby.

Unwanted by Test coach Robbie Deans this week, Tuqiri and Tahu are set to link up for their second appearance in three weeks for West Harbour and elsewhere Ryan Cross (Easts) and Phil Waugh (Sydney Uni) will also turn out for their clubs.
Instead of playing in front of 20,000-plus fans in Canberra, Tuqiri and Tahu will be the star attraction for several hundred fans - all at a cost to the ARU of over a combined million dollars in wages this year.
snip
But, according to dual international Wendell Sailor, the uncomfortable culture shock of a return to club footy may also help Tuqiri and co come to grips with the reasons they're there - and not Canberra.

"I know one time when I was playing for the Wallabies I got dropped and had to play in front of 500 people for the Gold Coast Breakers,'' Sailor told Sky Sports Radio.

"We all like playing on big stages and in front of big crowds, so club rugby won't be too good for him (Tuqiri), with West Harbour. Sometimes you can get a bit complacent. He won't be complacent now.''

snip
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25617754-5001023,00.html
shasta

O

Ole Two Blue

back on topic. The SRU had their AGM tonight. Has anyone heard what happened? Is there a draw yet? What's the comp structure? Our GM did not attend so we have not heard anything.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

I know a young development player playing in the Ice Hockey league.

His weekend this week consistent of work (in a coffee shop) on Saturday, Fly to Syd Sat night, Sleep there, Game Sunday afternoon, fly back to Melbourne, sleep, get up at 6 on monday, weights at his gym of choice, work again, evening skills/review training session.

He did this all for $300 dollars (plus the trip paid for) because he loves the game.

C

Clubrugbytv

C

Clubrugbytv

Hi,
my name is John Murray, I'm happy to comment in my own name. In 2012 I webcast about 30 Shute Shield games while I tested my production technique and ability - if you want to improve Rugby, embrace the new technology. No network or Fox will broadcast this comp for a number of reasons. Rather than talking and dreaming I did something about it, generally with great support from the Clubs - the fans, however, stayed away in droves and gave no feed back. Technology provides a one off opportunity to raise the profile and relevance of the code - Clubs in Sydney, Brisbane and Canberra are easily good enough, the problem is empty grounds and administrators waiting for the ARU to do something. A new ARU CEO will make no changes for quite a while - what we've got is what we will have for a few years, let's get on with getting people back to the ground and giving them an opportunity to watch the game.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Isn't that the $64,000 question?
How do you get people back to the ground,supporting the clubs?
Requires further points, why $64k.
Instead of pouring another $200k through Penrith why not invest that into a program like Auskick (AFL did a great job),
Every home game have 2 x Junior games as the curtain raisers (might be half fields like they do at the Super Rugby, these same kids will have also have fun kicking the ball around at half time, or pre arranged races / obstacles.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Maybe not charging $15.00 a head at Manly would be a good start. I'm sure it is probably a similar cost at other grounds.I think that if you dropped it to say $10.00 would me acceptable to most. Also $5.00 for a can of beer is a bit steep. This encourages people to support Manly's sponsor Mounties who offer the same view from the bowling green for free as well as jugs of beer for $10.00.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Maybe not charging $15.00 a head at Manly would be a good start. I'm sure it is probably a similar cost at other grounds.I think that if you dropped it to say $10.00 would me acceptable to most. Also $5.00 for a can of beer is a bit steep. This encourages people to support Manly's sponsor Mounties who offer the same view from the bowling green for free as well as jugs of beer for $10.00.
It is the same at other grounds, Lily buy the season pass, get there early and enjoy the day.
Might have been an error - if so a smart one - my $100 season pass included me an 1 female, so each game my wife joined me.
Drive so dont drink, but shit those Chuppa Chops, and Snakes hit you with 2 young kids - I figure it's supporting the club though, they get in for 0, and half a day of them running around, having fun, it's well worth it.

C

Clubrugbytv

Requires further points, why $64k.
Instead of pouring another $200k through Penrith why not invest that into a program like Auskick (AFL did a great job),
Every home game have 2 x Junior games as the curtain raisers (might be half fields like they do at the Super Rugby, these same kids will have also have fun kicking the ball around at half time, or pre arranged races / obstacles.
That's right, as Clubs, we need to focus on getting people back to the game, not worry about should Penrith be in or out, should the ARU do this or that. Ideas like yours of having juniors playing curtain raisers, kicking comps at half time are zero cost great ways to get people to the game. Maybe all Clubs pitching in for some radio advertising? I met with a few Brisbane Clubs yesterday (you may know they charge no gate) I was knocked over by some of the innovation they were using to increase home game crowds and their bar / membership. There are some smart people involved in Club Rugby in Sydney and Brisbane and harnessing that intellect and energy is probably a more useful thing than debating mythical new comps

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
That's right, as Clubs, we need to focus on getting people back to the game, not worry about should Penrith be in or out, should the ARU do this or that. Ideas like yours of having juniors playing curtain raisers, kicking comps at half time are zero cost great ways to get people to the game. Maybe all Clubs pitching in for some radio advertising? I met with a few Brisbane Clubs yesterday (you may know they charge no gate) I was knocked over by some of the innovation they were using to increase home game crowds and their bar / membership. There are some smart people involved in Club Rugby in Sydney and Brisbane and harnessing that intellect and energy is probably a more useful thing than debating mythical new comps

Whilst I understand the thought process behind playing junior games I think you need to keep in mind that these are mind-blowingly boring for those adults who don't have any family link to the kids. I think it would be better to get back to playing Colts Firsts games as the curtain raiser to 1st grade and / or have some actual teenage level junior competition games being played. Sure have the little kids on at half time, but not for any length of time.

C

Clubrugbytv

I agree 100 % - why re invent Clubs that have no history or following. There is no sport played in this country in October. My view is that you play the best 2 Clubs from Sydney, Brisbane & Canberra in a round robin in October. I don't know if the Clubs would go for it and it would cost $100 000 to put it on before prize money, however, that is the simple answer (except the 100 grand of course!)

C

Clubrugbytv

Whilst I understand the thought process behind playing junior games I think you need to keep in mind that these are mind-blowingly boring for those adults who don't have any family link to the kids. I think it would be better to get back to playing Colts Firsts games as the curtain raiser to 1st grade and / or have some actual teenage level junior competition games being played. Sure have the little kids on at half time, but not for any length of time.
Good point, if you could get the 1st Colts to play before hand I'd happily film that game as well

Status
Not open for further replies.