• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
WOOHOO!!!!

ROUND 1.Season Kicks off.finally

Good Luck to everyone hope to see you on grand final day congratulating Manly:D

I assume you mean congratulating Manly on making the GF, but losing to the Wicks in a cliff hanger?
(Thought I'd get that in before the season starts as we're undefeated so far!)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fire up fellow Gaggerlanders.

Loving the cross club banter. 6 months off is far too long.........

Rugby is the winner

sooty

Stan Wickham (3)
TIPS or Guesses at Winners ANYONE????
Methinks (or stabs in the dark) as follows-
Eastwood
Warringah
Norths
Uni
Randwick
Manly

Sure is great to get the footy back.

Souths- Tyler Spitz at 12 - seriously???? Woodies pack does look good though
Draw- dance of the desperates( already) maybe Warringah cause its a home match
Norths- Easts look too old- Liam Walker very good.
Uni - if the sides are right - could be a century- Uni look very strong
Wests- if Baldwin in wicks side they would win i reckon- wests trials looked good- Treweek a star
Many- see Uni comment- Poor Briggs

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Which game is more deserving lily? Eastwood at home to the runners up of last year sounds like a pretty good match to televise first up. Their last game was a cracker but unfortunately Souths won't put up much of a fight this time I think..
Surely in week one it would be a great time to show off one of the lesser likes. Super 15 players not around etc. The problem to myself and I'm sure others is Papworth.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Souths- Tyler Spitz at 12 - seriously???? Woodies pack does look good though
Draw- dance of the desperates( already) maybe Warringah cause its a home match
Norths- Easts look too old- Liam Walker very good.
Uni - if the sides are right - could be a century- Uni look very strong
Wests- if Baldwin in wicks side they would win i reckon- wests trials looked good- Treweek a star
Many- see Uni comment- Poor Briggs
Uni by a century? Seriously sooty? Where have you been in the last 12 months?

State of Play

Frank Row (1)
I believe they do but a request that Manly bring Colts 1's kick off forward (not going to happen because of scheduled Colts parents and supporters function after game ) is hardly encouraging...Marlins have in excess of 100 grade players and are also sponsoring/providing coaching for an "internationals" ICMS team in subbies.

Numbers are apparently very skinny. Have heard that Gordon may be using 1st Colts to make up numbers for 4th grade. Can anyone confirm if you can play 1st grade colts lower than 2nd grade. I know that in semi finals there is a rule about what grade 1st colts are allowed to qualify for. Does that apply to all games in the competition. I hope it does not come back to bite Gordon during the season they are having a hard enough time at the moment.

State of Play

Frank Row (1)
Good luck to all clubs for the 2013 season. Hope that Penrith and Parra have strong seasons. For a strong code, we need all Shute Shield clubs to be successful. Look forward to comments as the season progresses.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Where have you got a copy from?

The Web site says it is available from Rugby Clubs on Friday, and grounds on Saturday.

Makes sense because the clubs sell it at the grounds on Saturday. Deliver from the publishers to the clubs on Friday.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Forgotten how much I love watching club rugby. Great to have it back.
Only caught the second half but the first of the 'upsets' of the season. Even though I wouldn't call the runners up of last seasons beating the losing semi-finalists from the previous season an upsets. It also appears Souths have unearthed some more backline talent.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Parramatta 21 Uni 41 (I think). Both sides will probably be disappointed. Plenty of improvement left in the Two Blues I would think. Sorry Sooty.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
IIRC ABC sports game wrap up
Pirates beat Wicks at Coogee oval by 2 points.
Norths beat Easts by?
Rats beat Pentirh by lots

senior

Peter Burge (5)
Game at Chatswood oval was a very tightly contested match.
Gordon held out 7 consecutive scrum resets on their tryline at the 40min mark and Manly led Gordon 7-6 at halftime.
Gordon came out firing and scored first in the 2nd half with a try to Terry Preston who was a standout today. Gordon led 11-7 before Manly came back with a setpiece try to winger Will Helu to make it 14-11. A try to Manly after what was a clear knock-on (with even the Manly supporters scratching their heads) made the score 21-11. With 5 minutes to go, Gordon winger Manners made a break and looked to run 90m and possibly bring the game back to 21-18 - unfortunately this was called back by the touch judge ("assistant referee") as there may have been a gordon player who didnt release the tackled player earlier. Manly were able to cross again on the final play with a pass going to ground and popping up very nicely. Final score at Chatswood Oval was Manly def Gordon 28-11. Manly forward pack were a huge unit who kept pressure on the Gordon set-piece all day, Pete Gilmore also looked difficult to contain in the backline. Gordon will be buoyed by their efforts, the courage shown by a smaller, less experienced pack was heartening (with Gukibau and Johnson to return from injury next week) as well performance from Tom Matthews and Terry Preston in the backline.

Reactions: Tim

sooty

Stan Wickham (3)
Uni 44- Parra 21- happy to be proven wrong by my Centruy score. Where have i been- in the real world. Parra 1st grade made an 8 team semi series by losing just as many if not more than they won- just beat Wests who won even less games- played the last 6 weeks against lesser opposition and when they played a top 6 side they got smacked by 35. No doubt they will be better each year but so as everyone else. im tipping Parra not to be in top 6 but due to a stupid 8 team semi series , they will play in the finals.
My top 8 ( in order of finish ) would be
Uni- Manly- Souths- Eastwood- Norths- Wests( big suprise this year) Easts-Parra.

Randwick i feel is the same as 2012- just a lot more smokes and mirrors, Gordon will struggle to keep todays form going all year, Warringah and Penrith the same.

I will always lead with my chin and love being proved wrong. for the record i believe i picked 6 out of 6.

any colts scores- i know Norths whacked Easts.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Randwick left a number of tries on the paddock against wests. Wests kept coming and finished off a wonderful move with their very fast outside backs right on the bell to go ahead by two.
For Wests ,their wingers look electric as did the number 4 who scored an opportunist try from a lineout 35 metres out with pace alone. This put Wests back in the race with 10 to go. They all came off the line in defence very quickly all day. Even so , Randwick outflanked them a number of times but were unable to finish.
Disagree with Sooty on the smoke and mirrors as the Wicks defense on the line was excellant and committed and they had more form in attack than last year. They need a win or two to get the confidence flowing.
For Wicks , i thought Hepetema was special.
Other grades all won by the Wicks against Wests in physical battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.