• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
From: http://www.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/story/182286.html
Australian rugby is looking to introduce two radical law changes as part of a proposed second-tier competition to develop the next generation of Super Rugby players and Wallabies, Bill Pulver said in an exclusive interview with Greg Growden for ESPNscrum.
The proposal, to be aired by the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) chief executive at an International Rugby Board (IRB) meeting in Dublin, is part of a strategy designed to develop "kids currently sitting in rugby academies in Brisbane and Sydney doing a lot of coaching and training, and actually putting them in a real-life developmental competition", Pulver told ESPNscrum before departing Australia for Europe.
"The main objective is to accelerate elite development so we win more games at a Super Rugby level," Pulver said, noting that Super Rugby coaches and chief executives all want greater depth of playing talent. "The secondary objective is to capture the hearts and minds of our rugby fans again with some exciting innovations, as well as filling the stadia again. The third objective is to find a component of the game, which can be packaged up for television."

I know it is pie cart but this was apparently said in an interview. If it is true that he went to watch the Manly game today hopefully he will have learnt that there already exists an excellent developmental competition (with 2 similar competitions in Brisbane and Canberra). Perhaps he can convince those that run the academies of this fact also and let the kids play some rugby.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
From: http://www.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/story/182286.html

I know it is pie cart but this was apparently said in an interview. If it is true that he went to watch the Manly game today hopefully he will have learnt that there already exists an excellent developmental competition (with 2 similar competitions in Brisbane and Canberra). Perhaps he can convince those that run the academies of this fact also and let the kids play some rugby.
Aussie D yes he was there it was a big crowd, a huge display of grass roots kids running around, and good rugby - a great display.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
A wonderful afternoon at Manly Oval this afternoon in front of a very healthy crowd - loud message to Messrs Pulver and Farr-Jones who attended about the sanctity of SS club rugby . A gracious speech from Luke Holmes at after match function and the Rats won the boat race.

As a wind up a week or so ago I suggested the Rats lacked depth . Even allowing for the Rats predictably lifting against the old foe I formally withdraw the remark - any club with Ed Doyle and Jackson Selby in 2's is doing ok

Reactions: Tim

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Great crowd and great rugby down at Manly today.
The Peninsular showing Mr Pulver and Far Jones the passion within the Shute Shield - both clubs should be proud.

Interesting that Nick F-J told Al Baxter on the ABC that he considered club rugby was THE THIRD TIER !!!

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
They were very good in the last 15 minutes. Parra led 18. 16 with 15 to go but went nigh nighs and the Woods took full toll. We won colts though

I was very impressed with the Parra backline in both 1s and 2s. They caused Eastwood defense enormous trouble. I think Parra will cause most teams alot of trouble this year.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Interesting that Nick F-J told Al Baxter on the ABC that he considered club rugby was THE THIRD TIER !!!

Coach, listened to that when I had the joy of rewatching the game later that night, it is at the moment and there is has huge potential to lift the profile even more. In turn this will ensure more quality rises through the ranks to Super Rugby and reduce the need for Super teams seek players off shore.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)

However, isn't a national third tier a better option for the development and improvement of AUSTRALIAN Rugby. Looking at the SS yes it is a strong competition but is there similar standards in QLD, canberra, Melbourne and Perth? The time has come for the SS to stop being the feeder competition to all the franchises in Australia (except QLD). Yes a strong club competition is necessary to garner and feed the interests of the general public and we all know that strong grassroots rugby is vital.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Something's got to give folks!
Penrith 46 v Randwick 428 across the grades and colts is not sustainable.
I accept there are people working really hard to make Penrith competitive, but I'm afraid they're going backwards.
Penrith 1st grade had beaten Randwick in their last 2 visits to Coogee but the annual raid on the club by other clubs (including several to Randwick) has seen them back to where they were several years ago.
On Saturday:
(1) at 10:45am Penrith only had 4 players for 4th grade going through an unenthusiastic warm up on the sideline
(2) the bus arrived about 11am and the players strolled to the change room and eventually straight onto the field without a warm up
(3) 3rd grade took the field with 13 players, a couple of 4th graders eventually made up the numbers
(4) Wicks 3rds had a 4 try bonus point after 11 minutes
(5) it was obvious that several Penrith 3rd and 4th graders were playing out of position and were totally unfit
(6) 2nd grade at least looked like a team, but still got flogged
(7) I stand to be corrected but I'm fairly sure the 1st grade coach didn't even go to the change room at half time

Sorry, Penrith but this is not good enough.
ARU, NSWRU, SRU, somebody, anybody: help please !!!

Hard to tell whether Wicks 1sts were as good as they looked as the opposition, whilst willing, just wasn't up to 1st grade standard.
Horwitz continues to impress, his passing is amazing.
There was one occasion where he received the ball and passed it back inside like a bullet all in one motion that was so quick that none of us believed what we'd seen. Only one of his passes (about 25 metres) didn't hit the intended receiver in the bread basket.
I'm really looking forward to watching his ongoing development. Hope the Waratahs leave him in club rugby for at least this year.
Matehaere at 10 also looked great and showed how a 10 who has options can keep the defence guessing.
Old hands at Coogee were saying they hadn't seen a Wicks backline perform like this seen the Ella days (but how good was the opposition?).

Significantly again, no kicks for penalty goal and only 1 kick in general play (a chip and chase) from the Wicks.
Running rugby is alive and well at Coogee even when the rain was belting down!

Next week v Norths will be a good test of where this team is at in its development.​

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
If these Penrith blokes are willing to rock-up week-in, week-out and the club are giving opportunities to guys (even if they end up going Penrith then Randwick then professional rugby) it shows Penrith's worth.

Plus, is there a clear advantage to a bye week over Penrith? I think not.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
If these Penrith blokes are willing to rock-up week-in, week-out and the club are giving opportunities to guys (even if they end up going Penrith then Randwick then professional rugby) it shows Penrith's worth.

Plus, is there a clear advantage to a bye week over Penrith? I think not.

I don't want to get rid of Penrith, but I really feel for the players.
Seeing guys who are clearly unfit backing up for 2-3 games, being flogged every week, and looking absolutely exhausted is not a good look for the game.
My preference is 12 competitive clubs in the SS.
If this is not achievable (ie the NSWRU is not prepared to put some effort beyond the laughable points cap into making this happen), let's reduce the number of teams and get back to full home-and-away rounds.

Well done Penrith players, coaches, officials etc for having a go and giving it your best shot.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't want to get rid of Penrith, but I really feel for the players.
Seeing guys who are clearly unfit backing up for 2-3 games, being flogged every week, and looking absolutely exhausted is not a good look for the game.
My preference is 12 competitive clubs in the SS.
If this is not achievable (ie the NSWRU is not prepared to put some effort beyond the laughable points cap into making this happen), let's reduce the number of teams and get back to full home-and-away rounds.

Well done Penrith players, coaches, officials etc for having a go and giving it your best shot.

You're not wrong, it's a sad reality isn't it.

I think the easiest route would be to cut all SS clubs to only 2 senior teams (a firsts and a reserves). Some of the bigger clubs (your Randwicks, Unis, Woodies) have a strong 3rd grade with a couple of blokes who may crack the 1sts at some point. These guys would do well to be forced to seek opportunities at other smaller SS clubs.

Now, this could backfire with big clubs just implementing a rotation policy and would kill the whole "club" vibe of the lower grades staying to cheer the 1s so I WOULD NEVER ACTUALLY BACK THIS.

But it might work and I can't see any other option.

EDIT: To elaborate, I don't like the points system either. Penalising good clubs for getting the financials/systems together to attract good players regardless of the rational is not a good thing. But, at least it's a feasible system to even the comp out.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Not a 3 Tier thread BUT.
There are strengths with the current Shute Shield model why tear it apart - lets develop it.
Australian Rugby has a window post Club and Super Rugby that the likes of NZ & SA have filled - this is the window I think we should look to fill, and if this is established by - well that is the question with lots of varying answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.