• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Why not end the Shute Shield the same week as the Super Rugby regular season finishes?

Then just start another competition when all the Super Rugby players are back?
And start with them to instead of mid april, but that would effect the sevens so maybe not

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
And start with them to instead of mid april, but that would effect the sevens so maybe not

mmm, it is a very complicated schedule. I realise my proposal wouldn't even out the tournament after the super players come back but at least it will bring teams like Parra, Norths, Easts into the finals picture moreso than they are now.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Warringah too fast out of the blocks and too fast to capitalise on mismatched numbers in the match against the Mighty Two Blues, winning 36-24. Bonus points to both sides.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
I sincerely hope that in a few years time the Gordon club as a whole can look back on this day and see it as a bit of a turning point as they celebrate a premiership or a club championship.

Going to take a very good performance from someone to beat Uni with that sort of lineup though. Hopefully it happens to give the teams that aren't chock full of stars some hope.

Late Starter

Allen Oxlade (6)
Why not end the Shute Shield the same week as the Super Rugby regular season finishes?

Then just start another competition when all the Super Rugby players are back?

They did that a few years ago. The Shute Shield was played for after the first 11 games of the season and the Tooheys New Cup was played for after the second half of the season when Super players were available again.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Gordon has the largest junior catchment in the nation. Their opponents yesterday do not develop a single junior (other than a little bit of charity for window-dressing purposes).

Can somebody please explain how this sort of result is good for the game?

I have said it before, and I will say it again. We are a minority sport and unless we all learn to act like grown-ups who understand what is at stake, the only way from here is downhill.

The grassroots matter, just as much as the GPS and Sports High schools. In terms of ratings, sponsors, and crowds in the future, the grassroots actually matter a whole lot more. The NRL now counts 2 million participants because of their deal with the Touch Footy biz. Opposition sports have well developed pathways, and lots of development officers. We have entrenched privilege.

When are the rich and powerful going to understand what is at stake?

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
While it was a tough day, anyone watching would have seen a young group of guys hurting but also talking about seeing and learning what is required to be the best and stay there.

There were 2 1st Grade debutantes from the Central coast out there today. One (Mitch Hyde) played most of the 2nd half against Nick Phipps and did well. Gordon made 4-5 genuine line breaks through the middle that they just couldn't convert. In every grade no one stopped or dropped their heads.

I don't think yesterday was a turning point as such. More a lesson in how far we need to progress. As many have said we have the player pathway through our juniors - we now need to execute on one of our key strategic goals of drawing that player base into our Colts program.

Our 'Unique selling proposition' for new players is getting better every week. The partnerships we have with UTS and the SAN Hospital as well as the 'Friends of Gordon' supporters group can now provide a differentiation point for players thinking of going elsewhere or to the copious subbies teams on the North Shore.

The Grade players, coaches and management know its not going to be an easy process but are putting in place the right initiatives to make it work.

Bring on Easts!

you can check out a great gallery of images from a very good Photographer Keith McInnes at our website

http://gordonrugby.com.au/2013/08/11/gordon-vs-sydney-university-rd-17/

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I am a financial supporter of Eastwood, of course, as an ex-player, and long time supporter. Next year I will extend that support to at least two other clubs. All rugby lovers who can afford to should start supporting district clubs.

The district clubs is where the future is. It is not in the private schools and the other bastions of privilege.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I am a financial supporter of Eastwood, of course, as an ex-player, and long time supporter. Next year I will extend that support to at least two other clubs. All rugby lovers who can afford to should start supporting district clubs.

The district clubs is where the future is. It is not in the private schools and the other bastions of privilege.

Gordon :)

northman91

Frank Nicholson (4)
Like mentioned numerous times throughout this thread, cutting teams from the Shute Shield is not the right option. Gordon have the right personnel throughout the club to get them out of this tough period. With the new board, new sponsors (UTS) and with Tony Dempsey already planning next years Colts program, it is looking very positive for the club. To remove Gordon from the competition would be ridiculous given the amount of people that have stepped forward over the last 12 months that are ready to do that hard work and take the club back to its glory days. Without these volunteers the club would not exist today.

They have a young 1st grade team (mainly 21-24) who have played together since since juniors and have developed a great culture throughout the club.

I know Saturday's result was very ugly but with the high injury toll throughout the club (over 10 1st/2nd forwards unavailable) the kept going hard for the whole 80 minutes and never gave up.

The results won't come straight away but give it 2-3 years Gordon will be up there with the leaders of the competition.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
Like mentioned numerous times throughout this thread, cutting teams from the Shute Shield is not the right option. Gordon have the right personnel throughout the club to get them out of this tough period. With the new board, new sponsors (UTS) and with Tony Dempsey already planning next years Colts program, it is looking very positive for the club. To remove Gordon from the competition would be ridiculous given the amount of people that have stepped forward over the last 12 months that are ready to do that hard work and take the club back to its glory days. Without these volunteers the club would not exist today.

They have a young 1st grade team (mainly 21-24) who have played together since since juniors and have developed a great culture throughout the club.

I know Saturday's result was very ugly but with the high injury toll throughout the club (over 10 1st/2nd forwards unavailable) the kept going hard for the whole 80 minutes and never gave up.

The results won't come straight away but give it 2-3 years Gordon will be up there with the leaders of the competition.

It would be a shame to undo all the good work that the Gordon team and management have put in place this year. It takes time to turn a big ship around and Gordon deserve the chance to build on these solid foundations. The one thing they have to do is focus on their juniors, one colts team is not good enough to build for the years ahead. Clearly they need to do whatever it takes to convert their local junior talent into colts next year. If they fail in that regard then they are candidates for relegation.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Dear oh bloody dear. If a district club like Gordon cannot survive, we might as well all pack up and forget about the grassroots of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.