• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
It has been said earlier, but I thought I would add my two cents. I think some of the rugby in the Shute Shield over the last few weeks has been fantastic and great to watch. Well done to all the players! Compared to some of the NRL games over the same period, the Shute Shield games have been eminently watchable, exciting and meaningful.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I agree - the games that my wife and I have watched have been pretty good quality. If only they were played on decent grounds, with good crowds.

Some years ago, the match of the round in Brisbane was played on a Friday night at Ballymore, and was televised. Something like this might work in Sydney (with a delayed re-broadcast, of course, still on the Saturday arvo). Perhaps after the TG Millner redevelopment, the ground will be a better venue for televising games.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Heh Galah, I actually thought Easts dominated the breakdown yesterday which was what kept them in the game and destroyed Manly's continuity. Haven't seen the breakdown stats though.
We aren't necessarily at odds on that one Coach - for long periods they were and I thought Hodson was outstanding for Easts - as I noted earlier for mine he was one of the best in the losing team but overall MMM's can match with Uni (viz the week before) and the Woods in that area. My observation was really directed to where I think MMM are vulnerable in next 2 weeks.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah that Manly/Easts game on paper was going to be terrific but in reality was an ordinary spectacle. Manly will need to lift substantially for the Woodies next week. I'm also getting a bit excited about the prospect of Souths v Uni in the other prelim. Hopefully Souths can play a little better and front up more in the tough stuff this time, because Uni will murder them otherwise.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yeah that Manly/Easts game on paper was going to be terrific but in reality was an ordinary spectacle. Manly will need to lift substantially for the Woodies next week. I'm also getting a bit excited about the prospect of Souths v Uni in the other prelim. Hopefully Souths can play a little better and front up more in the tough stuff this time, because Uni will murder them otherwise.

Agreed, I think the winner of this weekends game will win the GF.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Hey what do I know , I must have been more relaxed at glorious Coogee for Fathers Day than I thought - today's local tabloid carries an article quoting Blakey as saying the front row layed the platform for the win , Jimmy Gentle rightly singled out for praise. Combination of Blakey's wisdom and the galah's faith says MMM's to GF!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Hey what do I know , I must have been more relaxed at glorious Coogee for Fathers Day than I thought - today's local tabloid carries an article quoting Blakey as saying the front row layed the platform for the win , Jimmy Gentle rightly singled out for praise. Combination of Blakey's wisdom and the galah's faith says MMM's to GF!
Yep, and one game at a time - that grinding ugly game is exactly what was required.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It has been said earlier, but I thought I would add my two cents. I think some of the rugby in the Shute Shield over the last few weeks has been fantastic and great to watch. Well done to all the players! Compared to some of the NRL games over the same period, the Shute Shield games have been eminently watchable, exciting and meaningful.

I know quite a few life long League fans who tune in to watch the SS regularly who will begrudgingly admit that the 'product' (I hate that word being associated with Rugby at that level but if you talk to a lot of RL fans they do refer to their game as a 'product' a lot) being displayed in the Shield is often more entertaining than many NRL games.

What let's it down is its complete lack of commercial footprint via sponsorship or any real widespread media interest. People often lament its lack of depth, which is an issue, but a lot of the issues regarding that could be overcome if those at the head of the competition sort out its business plan. I don't think the grounds that they play at is a major issue for the majority. There are a few shockers but that could be overcome.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I know quite a few life long League fans who tune in to watch the SS regularly who will begrudgingly admit that the 'product' (I hate that word being associated with Rugby at that level but if you talk to a lot of RL fans they do refer to their game as a 'product' a lot) being displayed in the Shield is often more entertaining than many NRL games.

It is also worth remembering the the game is only live in NSW (and the ACT, I assume).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It is also worth remembering the the game is only live in NSW (and the ACT, I assume).

That would fall under the competitions business plan. Get the weekly game shown live across the country or at least via an accessible media of professional quality. While there is a national replay (Tuesday 3:30 am) it's too restrictive in terms of building viewing interest.

There needs to be some hard decisions made in the near future in regards to competition structure if they are serious about developing the competitive nature of the competition. Talk of the competition cutting back to 10 teams isn't ideal but probably not far enough either. I believe to create a more competitive SS one that's provides the best development opportunities for players and for spectators a 8 team Shield would be more ideal. The major issue then is who misses out.

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
Does anybody know how the finals system is worked out? Hard to work out how the number 1 team eastwood plays on Sunday (and if they win) have to deal with a 6day turnaround while a lower ranked team (uni or souths) get a 7day turnaround.
Also agree that finals games should be played at concord. By far the best facility in club rugby so why not use it.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
What let's it down is its complete lack of commercial footprint via sponsorship or any real widespread media interest. People often lament its lack of depth, which is an issue, but a lot of the issues regarding that could be overcome if those at the head of the competition sort out its business plan. I don't think the grounds that they play at is a major issue for the majority. There are a few shockers but that could be overcome.

This should be getting more likes???

There needs to be some hard decisions made in the near future in regards to competition structure if they are serious about developing the competitive nature of the competition. Talk of the competition cutting back to 10 teams isn't ideal but probably not far enough either. I believe to create a more competitive SS one that's provides the best development opportunities for players and for spectators a 8 team Shield would be more ideal. The major issue then is who misses out.

WCR - so simple, move the Shute forward so it starts and finishes with the Soup.
Then after both start an 8 or 10 team comp, or start a 3T

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
That would fall under the competitions business plan. Get the weekly game shown live across the country or at least via an accessible media of professional quality. While there is a national replay (Tuesday 3:30 am) it's too restrictive in terms of building viewing interest.

I hate to break it to you, but the rest of the country is just not interested in watching Sydney club rugby. Sorry.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I hate to break it to you, but the rest of the country is just not interested in watching Sydney club rugby. Sorry.

It's better than nothing. The point is, they need to get the structure right. They need to ensure the standard of play is fairly even across the board and that they have something people would want to watch. Once they achieve that then there may be scope to look to involve teams from outside the 8 I have suggested.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
As Uni have no one in the test side we can assume they will be at full strength on Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.