• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm curious about it too, and I mentioned it earlier in the this thread. I don't think there's necessarily a 'reason' for it but I also don't think there should be. At the end of the day, Uni are still operating at club level. While they are very good at developing players from school leavers to first graders and then on to Super level for some, I think the step up from Super rugby to Test rugby is out of their hands. The development of players from Super to Test level is in the hands of their professional side and not their club side.

IMO, part of the answer is that many of the the elite players are going straight to professional rugby and skipping club football. If you look at the current Wallaby side, who are the players that really honed their skills at club level before becoming super rugby players and then regular Wallabies. Granted there are some but I think most of them got picked for super rugby teams before proving themselves at club level.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Don't take this the wrong way I'm not having a go at Uni, I'm just curious, but who was the last player to come through Uni colts and enjoy a lengthy test career? Phil Waugh was in-and-out and guys like Dave Dennis and McCalman have played a few games, but I'm trying to think of someone who was a regular member of the team over the last several years, not counting guys like Vickerman, Barnes, Burgess etc who didn't come through the colts. Can you help LS?
Wasn't Phil a Rat? but saw benefits at Uni?

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
IMO, part of the answer is that many of the the elite players are going straight to professional rugby and skipping club football. If you look at the current Wallaby side, who are the players that really honed their skills at club level before becoming super rugby players and then regular Wallabies. Granted there are some but I think most of them got picked for super rugby teams before proving themselves at club level.
Maybe a factor in the current failure of our national team?

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Probably on the bench, they won't be released yet

I think their bench will be solid, I see no Bethan or Weekes either

Sent from a tiny evil keyboard

Uni bench will be at its best as per usual especially with a home final, expect something along the lines of;

16. Weeks
17. Willan
18. Talakai
19. Skelton
20. McCalman
21. Foley
22. Betham
23. Hunt

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Uni bench will be at its best as per usual especially with a home final, expect something along the lines of;

16. Weeks
17. Willan
18. Talakai
19. Skelton
20. McCalman
21. Foley
22. Betham
23. Hunt
I was hoping the Uni Front row would front up and play an 80 minute game

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

16. Weeks
17. Willan
18. Talakai
19. Skelton
20. McCalman
21. Foley
22. Betham
23. Hunt
Very impressive bench for club Rugby,apart from Hunt who I can't see making an impact.

As he has been named at 10,

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Very impressive bench for club Rugby,apart from Hunt who I can't see making an impact.

As he has been named at 10,

Apologies, Souths will be a little disappointed without Cummins, Douglas and missing Holloway through injury. Big games needed from Timani x2, Horne and Volavola.

Eastwood play Manly in what will be one physical battle up front, few great match ups on the cards.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I was hoping the Uni Front row would front up and play an 80 minute game

FYI the bench put together above is just a possibility. No idea on availability of Melbourne Rebels players or possible late inclusions or exclusions regarding Wallabies Foley and McCalman

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Mr Rabbit, Joe Hockey and Malcolm Turnball are all former Sydney Uni Rugby players.

Not content with dominating the Shute Shield, SUFC look destined to take over running the bloody country.

Time for some decent $ to be spent on rugby infrastructure?

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Any team lists yet?

1ST GRADE V SOUTHERN DISTRICTS2ND GRADE V RANDWICK
1. Jeremy Tilse 1. Alasdair King
2. Tolu Latu 2. James Willan
3. Paddy Ryan 3. Sam Talakai
4. Tom Boidin 4. Tom Heslop
5. Liam Winton 5. Byron Hodge
6. David Dennis 6. Benn Melrose (c)
7. David Hickey 7. Stuart Goodman
8. Tim Davidson (c) 8. Hugo Dessens
9. Nick Phipps 9. Richard Draper
10. Stefano Hunt 10. Stuart Dunbar
11. Greg Jeloudev 11. Alex Rokobaro
12. Tom Carter 12. James McMahon
13. Tom English 13. James Dargaville
14. Lachlan Mitchell 14. Fetuli Talanoa
15. Tom Kingston 15. Nathan Trist

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Trent Dyer will be on the bench. Not sure what's happened to Inman or Betham - haven't been sighted the last couple weeks.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Tom Carter Celebrates 150 1st Grade games

05 Sep 2013
Tom Carter plays his 150th 1st Grade game this Saturday. He will join Nick Farr-Jones on 150. His total games are 174, and he will pass Tony Abbott when he runs on to No.1 for his 175th Club game.
tom_carter_souths.jpg
Congratulations on 150 1st Grade games, When you started playing at the Club what were your expectations? I think my perception of my ability and the reality of it was were two different things back then in 2001. I was 78kg playing fullback, it's safe to say I have learnt a lot since back then. I just wanted to play 1st Grade with my brother probably a lot faster than I really was ready too. I didn't realise it wasn't about the destination in rugby more about the journey and learning my craft.

Toughest opponent in Club Rugby? Clint Eadie and Christain Keriasiano ‘The bus’. Had many tough afternoons marking them both and certainly got steam rolled on more than one occasion.

Most respected opponent in Club Rugby? Hugh Perrett, Pierre Hola and Henry Schaaf.

Funniest team mate?
Michael Griffin in the early days for so many not publishable reasons. The ultimate team mate on and off the field. Special mentions also to Nathan Trist on Mad Mondays and Dave Hickeyfor his fashion sense.

Worst injury? Groin surgery (to fix oestitis pubis and a stomach muscle) post super rugby 2008 missed the entire club season and had to watch from the sidelines the boys win the Grand Final. Very strange day of mixed emotions and whilst really happy we won felt so sad I couldn't contribute or be a part of the pitter patters up parramatta road after the game.

Biggest influence on you at SUFC?
David Mortimer AO and Andrew Wennerbom have taught me so many things on and off the field but most importantly that whatever you desire in the game you have to earn through hard work and performing when it matters most. Nothing is a given or right and that long apprenticeships are a good thing in rugby. Tim Davidson and Tim Leahy also deserve noteworthy mentions.

What makes the 2013 team enjoyable?1. Great coaching staff (Chris Malone, Peter Playford, Dan Vickerman, Marc Avery and Tim Leahy) who challenge us everyday too be better. It's been great to personally improve and play some of my better rugby.
2. The fact we had a tough start and have overcome some adversity and doubters.
3. The emergence of Tom Kingston, Tom Boidin, Stefano Hunt and Greg Jeloudev as future leaders of the club and superstars of the game.
4. Finally and most importantly without a doubt being around with Tim Davidson and Nathan Trist as they bow out of the game, no greater privilege in the game than to of played withDavo and Tristy has been an amazing servant.

Tom_carter_mud.jpg
Who do you predict big things for next year at SUFC?
Coaching staff, players: Jeloudev, Boidin, Kingston, Hunt, Matthew Hood and James Willan.

To play your 150th at home must be a thrill? Words don't describe how much the place has meant to me. I feel so grateful for everything the club has given me and the opportunities it has allowed me to have in the game. To share it with my family and friends at home means so much to me. Everything I hold dear to me in life can be affiliated with Sydney Uni and the Rugby Club. I just have to make sure I play accordingly to match the occasion now and help the team perform in the biggest game of the year.

How has the Club changed or evolved during your time at the Club?
I remember playing in round games and Semi Finals getting thumped in 2003/2004 so to be able to play in so many great sides is a huge honour and something I am really grateful to be part of. I watched in the mid 90’s when the Club was at its lowest. It's been an amazing transformation of a decade and a half. The club is now at the forefront of the game in administration, coaching and strength and conditioning. It truly is a remarkable place to develop as a student, footballer and person.

As a senior leadership player how rewarding is to see the next generation players come through to 1st Grade?It's tremendous too see that all the hard work and strategic development of the Club throughout the years, it’s clearly paying off and players are emerging every year now. The competition for spots in 1st Grade is getting tougher each year that's for sure, it's definitely not an old person's game anymore. I certainly am aware the day is near when another centre will take my place.

It must be special to play your milestone game with close mate and Captain Tim Davidson who you have shared plenty of career highlights with?
It's the greatest honour I have ever experienced in the Game. He is a phenomenal human being and SUFC is absolutely privileged to of had him lead for so long. It will be a sad day when he isn't leading the side out and whilst there are no fairy tales in elite sport it would be nice to see Davo given his just rewards. He had so much to offer at levels above and just never got given the opportunity. I really think words don't do him justice. I reckon if we win he might even shout me my first beer which will almost be a first.

Best piece of advice you have received? From my dad regarding my rugby ‘believe in yourself cause if you don't, no one ever will’. And from My wife on what SUFC encompasses to me from the Charles Dickens novel a Tale of two cities ‘It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.’

tommy_carter.jpg

- See more at: http://sydneyunirugby.com.au/_blog/...tes-150-1st-grade-games/#sthash.F9sSdFpL.dpuf

Status
Not open for further replies.