• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
No one is death riding them.
No one is even criticising them.
If you read my post,I compliment their recent boards,and their colts program.
The fact remains,if the club can't convince colts players to register,where are their grade players going to come from in the future?
Parramatta was in a similar position 3 years ago. Our year 1 strategy was to make First Grade competitive, thereby regaining credibility in the club amongst our local juniors. Last year we went from barely 1 grade of Colts to 3 and making the semis in all three. It helped to get almost all of the Oakhill 1st and 2nds but they were attracted by the opportunity to stick together as mates and the new credible pathway the club was offering. It's a cliche now, but with kids these days, if you build it they will come.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Hi all Graeme Hearl - President Gordon Rugby has requested me to post the information below:

In response to a recent post concerning the current status of Gordon Rugby Football Club, readers may be interested to know the FACTS, rather than the ill-informed negative and frankly, offensive post by “State of Play”.

Given the ill-informed nature of the post, it’s hard to imagine it comes from an active member of GRFC.

Addressing the points raised, I confirm the following:

1. The Board
Four (4) Board members did not seek re-election for a variety of reasons. - including moving from Sydney, international travel requirements, new family, increasing work demands and personal issues unrelated to GRFC. None of these were foreseeable at the time the Directors concerned were elected, in either 2012 or 2013.

All are still involved in some capacity, including advisory positions, assisting the Board and as sponsors. Any of the of the former board members are happy to be contacted to confirm this.

Three (3) departing Directors have been replaced.

All positions were not required to be filled under the GRFC Constitution.

Perhaps if “State of Play” is a member, they might like to ask themselves why they didn’t put themselves forward if they were so concerned for the Club’s welfare. Like every other Club in Sydney, we can never get enough volunteers. Being a critic is easy, being a constructive member takes courage and commitment.

To suggest the Directors concerned resigned is an insult to them, their invaluable contribution to GRFC, over recent years, and, in some cases, over forty (40) years of engagement with the Club.

Take a look at the website if you want the truth.

1. Sponsors
Sponsors come and go for a variety of commercial reasons. The decision not to renew had nothing to do with "not being happy with how they were treated". In a market where sponsors are hard to find - 8 new sponsors have signed up for Gordon 2014.

Take a look at the website.

1. Financials
The assertions that financials did not include a P&L for the 2013 season only the Balance Sheet. “State of Play” also asserts “a couple of members” apparently wrote to the board for the P&L for 2013 and was told the members would not be given the P&L for 2013.

One (1) member sought information from the Board in excess of the Club’s statutory obligations and was informed of this. The member in question had the courage to attend the AGM (apparently unlike State of Play) and, whilst asking a number of questions relevant to the Club’s financial situation and otherwise appropriate contributed to the meeting, did not raise the issue. Nor did any other member present. Perhaps if “State of Play” had the courage to attend the meeting and ask relevant questions, they may have been in a position to post information, rather than ill-informed nonsense.

The Club’s Annual Report is posted on the website. Make your own assessment as to the work the Board has done to re-establish the Club’s financial credibility and a sound financial basis for the future.

1. Recruitment and Retention
“State of Play” also disparages the Club’s recruitment and retention. Apart from the usual retirements, move to sub-district and a few players moving to other Clubs (issues which every other Club in Sydney experiences on an annual basis) GRFC’s playing numbers and retention of our 2013 playing squad have been excellent. Indeed, as a result of the coaching appointments, Rugby program and stability, which the 2013 Board had implemented, the Club suffered the fewest loss of players in memory. If “State of Play” is a member of the Club, what have they done to assist in that regard?

The Club is committed to fielding four Grade sides (indeed, there is every prospect we will start the season with five Grade teams). Colts, which have been a problem for us for several years, have been a major priority for the Club, highlighted by the recruitment of Anthony Dempsey, as our Colts Head Coach. Recruitment has been extensive, from amongst our junior base and from amongst aspirational players from outside Sydney. The Board of GRFC is realistic in what it offers aspirational Colts, with our focus being on the excellence of our strength and conditioning and Rugby programs and the benefits flowing from our UTS scholarship arrangements. Current indications are we will fill three (3) competitive Colt sides for 2014.

It is disappointing when incorrect information, dressed up as fact, is posted by someone who has neither the courage to identify themselves or the commitment to rectify problems which they perceive to exist. If people want to know the facts, ask someone that knows, not someone who appears to be focussed solely on negativity and backstabbing. Look at the Club’s website and then make an assessment of what the truth is.

Graeme Hearl
President
Gordon Rugby Football Club Limited

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Hi all Graeme Hearl - President Gordon Rugby has requested me to post the information below:

Graeme Hearl
President

Well put, yeah and a big hill, but a few hill sprints never hurt anyone.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

In response to a recent post concerning the current status of Gordon Rugby Football Club, readers may be interested to know the FACTS, rather than the ill-informed negative and frankly, offensive post by “State of Play”.

Given the ill-informed nature of the post, it’s hard to imagine it comes from an active member of GRFC.

Addressing the points raised, I confirm the following:

1. The Board
Four (4) Board members did not seek re-election for a variety of reasons. - including moving from Sydney, international travel requirements, new family, increasing work demands and personal issues unrelated to GRFC. None of these were foreseeable at the time the Directors concerned were elected, in either 2012 or 2013.

All are still involved in some capacity, including advisory positions, assisting the Board and as sponsors. Any of the of the former board members are happy to be contacted to confirm this.

Three (3) departing Directors have been replaced.

All positions were not required to be filled under the GRFC Constitution.

Perhaps if “State of Play” is a member, they might like to ask themselves why they didn’t put themselves forward if they were so concerned for the Club’s welfare. Like every other Club in Sydney, we can never get enough volunteers. Being a critic is easy, being a constructive member takes courage and commitment.

To suggest the Directors concerned resigned is an insult to them, their invaluable contribution to GRFC, over recent years, and, in some cases, over forty (40) years of engagement with the Club.

Take a look at the website if you want the truth.

1. Sponsors
Sponsors come and go for a variety of commercial reasons. The decision not to renew had nothing to do with "not being happy with how they were treated". In a market where sponsors are hard to find - 8 new sponsors have signed up for Gordon 2014.

Take a look at the website.

1. Financials
The assertions that financials did not include a P&L for the 2013 season only the Balance Sheet. “State of Play” also asserts “a couple of members” apparently wrote to the board for the P&L for 2013 and was told the members would not be given the P&L for 2013.

One (1) member sought information from the Board in excess of the Club’s statutory obligations and was informed of this. The member in question had the courage to attend the AGM (apparently unlike State of Play) and, whilst asking a number of questions relevant to the Club’s financial situation and otherwise appropriate contributed to the meeting, did not raise the issue. Nor did any other member present. Perhaps if “State of Play” had the courage to attend the meeting and ask relevant questions, they may have been in a position to post information, rather than ill-informed nonsense.

The Club’s Annual Report is posted on the website. Make your own assessment as to the work the Board has done to re-establish the Club’s financial credibility and a sound financial basis for the future.

1. Recruitment and Retention
“State of Play” also disparages the Club’s recruitment and retention. Apart from the usual retirements, move to sub-district and a few players moving to other Clubs (issues which every other Club in Sydney experiences on an annual basis) GRFC’s playing numbers and retention of our 2013 playing squad have been excellent. Indeed, as a result of the coaching appointments, Rugby program and stability, which the 2013 Board had implemented, the Club suffered the fewest loss of players in memory. If “State of Play” is a member of the Club, what have they done to assist in that regard?

The Club is committed to fielding four Grade sides (indeed, there is every prospect we will start the season with five Grade teams). Colts, which have been a problem for us for several years, have been a major priority for the Club, highlighted by the recruitment of Anthony Dempsey, as our Colts Head Coach. Recruitment has been extensive, from amongst our junior base and from amongst aspirational players from outside Sydney. The Board of GRFC is realistic in what it offers aspirational Colts, with our focus being on the excellence of our strength and conditioning and Rugby programs and the benefits flowing from our UTS scholarship arrangements. Current indications are we will fill three (3) competitive Colt sides for 2014.

It is disappointing when incorrect information, dressed up as fact, is posted by someone who has neither the courage to identify themselves or the commitment to rectify problems which they perceive to exist. If people want to know the facts, ask someone that knows, not someone who appears to be focussed solely on negativity and backstabbing. Look at the Club’s website and then make an assessment of what the truth is.

Graeme Hearl
President

Boody hell, there's going to be a real decline in the number of posts if we have to stick to the facts ;)

On a more serious note, I'm glad to see things are on the up-and-up at Gordon -- a proud old club and the Wicks have had some great contests with them over the years.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Boody hell, there's going to be a real decline in the number of posts if we have to stick to the facts ;)

On a more serious note, I'm glad to see things are on the up-and-up at Gordon -- a proud old club and the Wicks have had some great contests with them over the years.

The Rugby world would be a much sadder place without them....march on Highlanders ....:D

love that nickname....
$(KGrHqN,!qsE88gcHj3HBPUQuTkjow~~60_35.JPG

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Looks like NSWRU needs someone to help them upload the SS draw onto their website. The draw was finalised some time ago I believe but the link has been dead for over a week.

I'm sure this is not an indication of their interest in the SS ;)

The unpaid intern strikes again.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Well put, yeah and a big hill, but a few hill sprints never hurt anyone.
Gibbo please note state of play is/was a first timer and obviously intended to defame and crap all over Gordon. Please don't place us all in with him. I hope the moderators take the appropriate action and ensure he cannot post again.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Gibbo please note state of play is/was a first timer and obviously intended to defame and crap all over Gordon. Please don't place us all in with him. I hope the moderators take the appropriate action and ensure he cannot post again.

I'd suggest he may have learned his lesson.
Possibly deserves a second chance???

It a shame he doesn't have the same passion and willingness to roll up his sleeves and work for the club that Gibbo has.

Let's hope Gordon have a great year....that would be the best response :)

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I've just read through all of State of Play's posts. I'm not quite sure in what sense he (she?) can be labelled "a first timer", having been a member of G&GR for 10 months. In a number of his posts he has been quite critical of the way that Gordon has been/is being run but I think it is drawing a very long bow to claim that he "obviously intended to defame". I would be very disappointed if the moderators take action to "ensure he cannot post again" because of what he has written thus far.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
I have heard Gordon Colts numbers are still down and 3rd colts could still be a problem for them. Things cannot be changed around in 1 year so good on Gordon for plugging away.
I spoke to a Gordon colts official at a trial about 5 years ago and I asked how the numbers for Colts and he said they had plenty of players which they did and he said Gordon is lucky in that there are plenty of schools near them plus a a couple of very strong rugby schools he then said plus everyone wants to play for Gordon.
I had to walk away before I started to vomit like that character out of little Britain
Never a dull moment with Gordon and there enthusiasm and commitment can never be doubted.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Still can't believe that Rugby News has wrapped up. Going through a copy from June 2002 I was reminded that all Wallabies have to start somewhere. Scott Fardy played 4th grade colts at No8 against Souths on this day. Also there was a picture and a primary school wrap up with a picture of the Chris Whittaker Cup winning captainCharlie Wakim.
It's a shame that it will now be so much harder to track a players progression.
I guess you can't stop progress.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Still can't believe that Rugby News has wrapped up. Going through a copy from June 2002 I was reminded that all Wallabies have to start somewhere. Scott Fardy played 4th grade colts at No8 against Souths on this day. Also there was a picture and a primary school wrap up with a picture of the Chris Whittaker Cup winning captainCharlie Wakim.
It's a shame that it will now be so much harder to track a players progression.
I guess you can't stop progress.

I was going through some of the early 90's the other week.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any news on Kiama 7's results?
I didn't stay to the end but I understand RedRock (a Fijian team) won the main event for the men.

There were some very athletic players down there today. Parra men went out in the quarterfinals to a fast Manly team. I'm sure others will be able to provide fuller reports.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I didn't stay to the end but I understand RedRock (a Fijian team) won the main event for the men.

There were some very athletic players down there today. Parra men went out in the quarterfinals to a fast Manly team. I'm sure others will be able to provide fuller reports.
Thanks.

Jiggan Kiev

Frank Row (1)
I'm a woodies man through and through but was disappointing to see them not contribute at all to the 7s circuit..
Can anyone understand why they wouldn’t?

Status
Not open for further replies.