• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm sure Wests will rue the one that got away. Difficult to win when your scrum is on roller skates but Wests had their opportunities and blew it. Uni's defence looked soft at times,not that Wests was much better. A lot of off the ball niggle from the students including a sickening elbow to Dave Harvey after the whistle had blown which went unpunished by match officials.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
I'm sure Wests will rue the one that got away. Difficult to win when your scrum is on roller skates but Wests had their opportunities and blew it. Uni's defence looked soft at times,not that Wests was much better. A lot of off the ball niggle from the students including a sickening elbow to Dave Harvey after the whistle had blown which went unpunished by match officials.
Very sorry to hear that. Has not been Uni form of past. I trust they get that sorted out of their game.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
On video, no doubt???

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Lucas and Bergelin have been stand outs so far .Treweek if he had any doubts must be loving his move to MMM's. Also Porecki continues to impress .
Yeah I'm looking forward to the Woodies game, I hope Porecki eats Roche up.
He went down injured but carried on, so hope all okay.

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
I don't know why Trewheek left Wests although I could probably guess but the Pirates could sure use him. The 15s that have been used so far have been less than impressive.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Somebody asked me to write an account of the Rats v Two Blues game; so I'll post a few notes here.

Warringah Rats vs Parramatta Two Blues

It didn't look like a great night for Magners Shute Shield rugby with fine and not-so-fine drizzle during the night, but both teams had a go.

Parra, playing with the drizzle started the scoring with a Tom Woods penalty goal but a snipe by Rats scrummie, Josh Holmes, had defenders looking at each other as he scored. When Hamish Angus converted it was 7-3 to the Rats.

Woods slotted another penalty goal for the visitors midway through the half to bring the score to 7-6, but his team wasn't taking full advantage of the southerly breeze, a Rats Park staple.

They paid for it too when Warringah camped in the Two Blues 22. The Rats turned over the ball but got it back after a great scrum near the Parra line The Two Blues defended like demons when the Rats peppered the goal-line with pick and goes; but eventually the defence was broken and the Rats no. 8 Sam Crompton dotted down near the corner.

Then Angus made the score 14-6 with a cracking conversion from near touch and across the drizzle.

But the Two Blues recovered a superb short restart kick and swarmed through down the grandstand side of the park. After a few glitches hooker Liu Taituave scored their first try near the posts and Woods converted it. The Rats were still ahead but only by 14-13.

Then just as I went to get my half-time pie. Warringah took their turn to attack from a restart when Parra took the kick into touch. When the Two Blues came up too quickly the Rats took the three points on offer because time was running out.

Half-time score 17-13 to the Rats playing against the breeze.

The Two Blues started strongly after oranges and skipper Andrew Cox got held up over the line. But Woods kicked another penalty from in front of the posts when the Rats infringed at at the scrum—back to a one-point ball game.

They were up near the Rats goal line again soon after, but a timely intercept against the run of play had Warringah raiding to the other end of the park. This led to the ball through hands beating the out-numbered defenders wide out. The Rats led 22-16 at 52 minutes as the rain was coming down harder.

Then it was the visitors turn: it was like watching a tennis match with the serve changing. The Rats lost a lineout and Parra flooded through the middle of the park to get good field position. After some enterprising play flanker Sakaria Noa scored for Parra near the 15 metre line. The conversion to take the lead missed and the Rats still lead 22-21. Game on.​
That's when the tennis match stopped because the Rats used the wind better than the Two Blues had done in the first half and finished all over them in the last ten minutes.​
The teams swapped penalty goals, but when the Two Blues were untidy at a lineout on the grandstand side in the Rats' half, Holmes swooped on the ball. After after a few passes to the right the Rats scored on the beach side, running at pace. Soon afterwards the Rats took up time with a successful penalty goal attempt and ended up with a four-try bonus point win 35-24.

Well done to both teams for playing attacking games in wet conditions which entertained the patrons, and for the good spirit in which the match was played.

Warringah 35 (Josh Holmes 2, Sam Crompton, Michael Adams tries; Hamish Angus 3 cons, 3 pens) d Parramatta 24 (Liu Ataituave, Sakaria Noa tries; Tom Woods con, 4 pens)

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Was a decent game despite the conditions at concord
Ref and lines woman were two of the worst I have ever seen
You always see things through your teams eyes and would love a uni perspective but the assault on Harvey should have been a red card and there were a few punches off the ball and a stamp by uni that also went unpunished
Hopefully somebody has the balls to give the uni 11 a long ban but doubt it as uni seem to be allowed to do what the like
But some great tries from both sides and to be honest if the ref knew what he was doing despite the obvious red for uni wests should have had a couple of yellows before the finally were shown one
Scrum was destroyed by uni

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
A great effort in 1s in poor conditions. Thanks to Willoughby Council for keeping the ground open (They've shut it in much better conditions). Well done to Randwick through the other grades.
Considering our 2 field sessions during the week were restricted due to the Weather and our Forward pack was reshuffled apart from 1 player - They 'done good' -

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
A great effort in 1s in poor conditions. Thanks to Willoughby Council for keeping the ground open (They've shut it in much better conditions). Well done to Randwick through the other grades.
Considering our 2 field sessions during the week were restricted due to the Weather and our Forward pack was reshuffled apart from 1 player - They 'done good' -
SO what changed from last week?

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
I'm not in a position to answer that and provide specifics sorry (trying to be clear) - you'd have better luck asking Coach Geoff Townsend

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Interesting year ahead.
Penrith were leading Eastwood through the first half.
Penrith put a few points on Uni in game one.
Gordon beat Randwick after conceding a heap the week before.
Wests lead Uni for a good chunk of the game.
Southern have shocked a number of punters.

Beware of all teams that lurk below you, proof in the above that they can all create problems.

Moonball

Stan Wickham (3)
I hope it is on video. It was a vicious and cowardly act especially when the Uni winger went back for a second go at Harvey when he didn't retaliate and incited other players to get involved. I know the WH officials will look at the video and the Uni player should get plenty of time off to study for his degree in stupidity.

Doofus

Peter Burge (5)
I hope it is on video. It was a vicious and cowardly act especially when the Uni winger went back for a second go at Harvey when he didn't retaliate and incited other players to get involved. I know the WH officials will look at the video and the Uni player should get plenty of time off to study for his degree in stupidity.

I think they should reserve a block of time for the video review?

- and have a look at the first WH try - an obvious dummy spit from SU - "how dare somebody score first points against them so quickly" - very professional (not)

- don't miss the debacle of what should have been a penalty - even a penalty try - both officials were there on the spot and collapsed into their own self worth.

-as well as the Assistant referee being on the spot - when the students slowest player deliberately tripped a WH player in back play.

Well done my man - spoke volumes about you.

Should take note of the team now and compare it to a SU team in the grand final (should they get there) - these current blokes will do all the heavy lifting throughout the year whilst the Waratah players appear at the end of the competition. Fair ?

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
I think they should reserve a block of time for the video review?

- and have a look at the first WH try - an obvious dummy spit from SU - "how dare somebody score first points against them so quickly" - very professional (not)

- don't miss the debacle of what should have been a penalty - even a penalty try - both officials were there on the spot and collapsed into their own self worth.

-as well as the Assistant referee being on the spot - when the students slowest player deliberately tripped a WH player in back play.

Well done my man - spoke volumes about you.

West Harbour will have video and should follow the channels to make a complaint. Hopefully HQ will act decisively on evidence. That is more of a legal process.
The culture at the club issue is also important. Uni will have their own video. My hope here is that Chris Malone and the other staff will have the testicular fortitude to stop such behavior in its tracks.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One would hope that any club would act decisively on inappropriate behaviour by their players, club officials or supporters.

The Rats President did so WRT Harvey abuse allegations. I think you may be surprised what the various club officials do behind the scenes to "protect their brand".

Nobody wants dickhead players or supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.