• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Yep. As I type, I can hear the McLaren Vale IPA's that are currently held hostage in the Man Cave beer fridge calling out for their freedom. I feel a transition to a nice Prickly Moses Farmhouse Ale after that to go along with the feet up watching the NZ Soup games.

Safe in the knowledge that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) isn't playing for the Tahs this weekend.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
There is no denying that the Wicks teamlist is strong, but I have a feeling in my waters about this game and the Hobbits.

I have had not much success this year in tipping in an objective manner, comparing team strengths and weaknesses, looking at previous results and analysing past form, and still Easts beats Norths, Gordon beat Wicks and the Beasts after getting towelled by the Woodies, who lost to the Hobbits last weekend. Go figure.

Might as well tip based on the colour of the Jockeys silks, the horses name, or the shape of the lacing on your empty beer glass (empty glass of MacLaren Vale Beer - of course!!!).
Hoiles out young Hanigan back to second row and munro to 8. That changes things, I think sportsbet are spot on with both sides 1.87.

Wicks need an old head there in the pack.

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
Indeed a great effort from the grass roots but we are all meant to be reading Rugby News on our smart phones these days!

At least the Marlins made an effort last week but nowhere near enough programs aka team lists to go around in the end for obvious reasons. Uni had/has team lists available what is the situation at other grounds?

Most games pick themselves today but I think Wests will get Rats and Penrith to get up too

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Indeed a great effort from the grass roots but we are all meant to be reading Rugby News on our smart phones these days!

At least the Marlins made an effort last week but nowhere near enough programs aka team lists to go around in the end for obvious reasons. Uni had/has team lists available what is the situation at other grounds?

Most games pick themselves today but I think Wests will get Rats and Penrith to get up too
Yeah they needed to print 7000+
Average home ground attendance this year for the Marlins could be pushing 4000 and we are into round 7, another big week next week with Back to Manly.
Last weeks I'd say is a work in progress, and the Dukes is a great example.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Caught the second half of the Randwick v Southern game on TV today and was surprised SD pulled off the win in the end as Randwick were all over them. Having a look at the Ford try, the try Wright set up (for the 'wicks 6) and the final SD try the ref had a bit of a shocker as all of them should have been called up. Ford was a couple of metres in front of the 'wicks kicker, the ball left Wright's hands in a forward direction and Holloway's bust was from a blatant piece of obstruction.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Eastwood got up over Parra today but were hardly convincing. Every one of their tries came from Parra errors (and there were plenty). The Two Blues were more physical and what about Taqele Naiyaravoro. The Batgers will have nightmares about him. Say what you like Woodies fans, 2 tries on debut, when your last game of rugby was at 16 years old against last year's minor premiers and the team running second is impressive.

Whilst on Eastwood, and this is only my observation, I see trouble looming. There seems to be no club spirit there. After first grade, there were no lower graders in the club. Only 3 players, the Skipper, Jed
Gillespie and Jared Barry (injured but there) turned up in a mishmash of trackie daks, thongs and hoodies/ Every Parra first grader turned up in their number ones, waiting for an aftermatch that didn't happen.

Great clubs start with great club spirit. I hope Eastwood find theirs before it's too late.

JimmyLan

Allen Oxlade (6)
Eastwood got up over Parra today but were hardly convincing. Every one of their tries came from Parra errors (and there were plenty). The Two Blues were more physical and what about Taqele Naiyaravoro. The Batgers will have nightmares about him. Say what you like Woodies fans, 2 tries on debut, when your last game of rugby was at 16 years old against last year's minor premiers and the team running second is impressive.

Whilst on Eastwood, and this is only my observation, I see trouble looming. There seems to be no club spirit there. After first grade, there were no lower graders in the club. Only 3 players, the Skipper, Jed Holloway and Jared Barry (injured but there) turned up in a mishmash of trackie daks, thongs and hoodies/ Every Parra first grader turned up in their number ones, waiting for an aftermatch that didn't happen.

Great clubs start with great club spirit. I hope Eastwood find theirs before it's too late.

I noticed the Woodies club spirit was a bit missing when the Eastwood second grade side didn't even clap on their first grade side.. Whats that all about? Very strange. At least the Parra Boys made a tunnel for them.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)

Whilst on Eastwood, and this is only my observation, I see trouble looming. There seems to be no club spirit there. After first grade, there were no lower graders in the club. Only 3 players, the Skipper, Jed Holloway and Jared Barry (injured but there) turned up in a mishmash of trackie daks, thongs and hoodies/ Every Parra first grader turned up in their number ones, waiting for an aftermatch that didn't happen.

Couldn't get to the game today , stoked to hear Naiyaravoro slotted in well

Bring on Randwick..

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Jimmy Lan, further to that, I looked to the Eastwood thread on the Shute Shield forum for a clue. There are zero comments. Say - No - More.

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
Wests managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory today against Warringah. Leading 32-15 with 10 minutes to go they lost two players to cards and couldn't defend well enough with 13 to contain a previously fairly ordinary Rats. At around the 70 min mark Wests scored a try to take them to an unassailable 39-15 lead when the linesman called it back for a Wests player spitting on someone at the last breakdown. The Wests player denied it (though personally I think it may be true) and the ref yellow carded him and disallowed the try. Now I think the yellow card is fine,spitting is very grubby,but I can't see what it has to do with the try.

Also some grubby post match scenes from a couple of Wests supporters towards the linesman. That's not cool. Not rugby.

JimmyLan

Allen Oxlade (6)
JimmyLan there are not many happy players at that club.

Paul thats a shame, as there is a lot of talent at the club and I know a few of the boys personally. In my opinion if the men aren't being managed correctly and many noses are out of joint then the powers that be need to do something about it soon before it's too late.

JimmyLan

Allen Oxlade (6)
Possibly one of the problems is they've got too much talent so there's a lot of guys think they should be in better teams.
I'm sure Paul, this is a battle in all clubs across the Shute Shield, It takes a lot of hard work and sound man management to make sure players in reserve grade get their opportunities in first grade and those that get moved back down into reserve grade understand why and where they need to improve their game. I like to think we do a good job of this at Parramatta, but of course there's no pleasing everyone just most hopefully!

JimmyLan

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm sure Paul, this is a battle in all clubs across the Shute Shield, It takes a lot of hard work and sound man management to make sure players in reserve grade get their opportunities in first grade and those that get moved back down into reserve grade understand why and where they need to improve their game. I like to think we do a good job of this at Parramatta, but of course there's no pleasing everyone just most hopefully!

I should have said "a lot of clubs" not "all" :)

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
I love when I hear clubs/coaches sprouting about how they've developed local juniors while forgetting to mention all the imports in their clubs or all the kids from their clubs that are now playing for some other club.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Results Summary Round 7
First Grade - Shute Shield
West Harbour 32 Warringah 34
Gordon 7 Sydney University 46
Penrith 30 Eastern Suburbs 35
Eastwood 35 Parramatta 24
Randwick 22 Southern Districts 30
Northern Suburbs 5 Manly 26

Second Grade - Colin Caird Shield
West Harbour 24 Warringah 24
Gordon 31 Sydney University 29
Penrith 13 Eastern Suburbs 41
Eastwood 45 Parramatta 25
Randwick 61 Southern Districts 26
Northern Suburbs 10 Manly 59

Third Grade - Henderson Shield
West Harbour 32 Warringah 24
Gordon 19 Sydney University 36
Penrith 12 Eastern Suburbs 20
Eastwood 69 Parramatta 12
Randwick 35 Southern Districts 10
Northern Suburbs 14 Manly 41

Fourth Grade - Henderson Cup
West Harbour 17 Warringah 8
Gordon 0 Sydney University 75
Penrith 22 Eastern Suburbs 14
Eastwood 25 Parramatta 12
Randwick 22 Southern Districts 30
Northern Suburbs 29 Manly 34

Next Week - Round 8 17/05/14
Southern Districts v West Harbour
Parramatta v Randwick
Eastern Suburbs v Eastwood
Sydney University v Penrith
Manly v Gordon
Northern Suburbs v Warringah

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
I noticed Wests have dropped their halfback Rob Catanach for a bloke from England. I can't believe that a team of poor tacklers would drop possibly the best tackler in the SS for a pom that clearly has a deep aversion to physical contact. Catanach makes more tackles in one game than most halfbacks make in a season so I'll put it in my Big book of puzzling decisions of coaches and selectors which is already about ten phone books wide.

refugee

Sydney Middleton (9)
The good coaches are good at man management. Quick way for a team to to go downhill is giving some players exclusive use of the jersey number without fear of being dropped. Does nothing for club spirit either.

Status
Not open for further replies.