• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
This would be a tough one to pick, I must say I've been awfully impressed with the refereeing in the SS this year. Especially that last penalty against Uni on the weekend ;)

think you left two letters off that statement by mistake there little gnomed one. They would be the letters 'un'..........................

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I heard Narbonne withdrew their offer of a contract to Peterson. He wanted to play in the GF and Narbonne wanted him earlier. Contract was never signed.

T

turnovertwopasses

Will the Manly playing group stick together for another crack next year? Who will the new coach be?

DTS

Stan Wickham (3)
Must be hard to keep a group like that together. Any word on coaching? If they can keep a core group together it would be a great nursery for MMM and beyond

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Ken Catchpole Medal nominations for 2014 are:
Hamish Angus (Warringah)
Harry Bergelin (Manly)
Tom Boidin (Sydney University)
Henry Clunies-Ross (Sydney University)
James Dargaville (Sydney University)
David Feltscheer (Warringah)
Jed Holloway (Southern Districts)
Matt Lucas (Manly)
Harrison Orr (West Harbour)
Michael Wells (Northern Suburbs)

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Hamish Angus (Warringah)
Harry Bergelin (Manly)
Matt Lucas (Manly)
Interesting gee Matty Lucas must have had a huge lead before his knee injury mid season. both gun halves but gee wish Matty was picked over Swanny leading into the semis.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Haven't Eastwood recruited from other Sydney clubs well over the last few years. Barry, Ayoub, Hill, Kovacic -- all had great years for the Woodies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Hamish Angus (Warringah)
Harry Bergelin (Manly)
Matt Lucas (Manly)

Nobody from Eastwood, three from the Corporation. Why am I not surprised?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Harry Bergelin or Jed Holloway for the Catchpole Medal.

Holloway has been inspirational in a leadership role for the Hobbits. Very composed and competent, and has lead by example. A very wise head on some young shoulders.

Bergelin. Leading try scorer as a piggie. Dangerous in his carries and defence. Humble and gives credit to others for his successes. A great team player.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

If Barry's game last week against Manly is typical of his form this year he should be on the list. But my assessment of Eastwood over the last few years is that they are a great team and play as a team with individuals not standing out as much as some other clubs.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)

Wamberal, who makes the top 10 is not due to Syd Uni bias. My guess is that Eastwood actually got more team points than Syd Uni but they were shared around amongst the whole rather than being concentrated with 3 players at Uni.

This is more to do with the silly way the Medal winner is decided. Referees who are there to referee the match are then expected the assess the performance of the players on the field and make a 3,2,1 decision. As a result, it is no surprise that they often pick guys who score a lot of tries because that's what they remember of individual performances.
Plus this type of system favours the strong player in the middle of the road team not a well rounded high performing team like Eastwood.
The system should be changed and put in different hands.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Wamberal, who makes the top 10 is not due to Syd Uni bias. My guess is that Eastwood actually got more team points than Syd Uni but they were shared around amongst the whole rather than being concentrated with 3 players at Uni.

This is more to do with the silly way the Medal winner is decided. Referees who are there to referee the match are then expected the assess the performance of the players on the field and make a 3,2,1 decision. As a result, it is no surprise that they often pick guys who score a lot of tries because that's what they remember of individual performances.
Plus this type of system favours the strong player in the middle of the road team not a well rounded high performing team like Eastwood.
The system should be changed and put in different hands.
Disagree.
There are only 2 players who are not from the top clubs.Neither of these are among the top try scorers.
Hugh Perrett from Eastwood won last year.
If you are a "strong player" ,then it's not surprising that the referees notice you,irrespective of which club you play for.That's the way it should be.
I respect the referees opinion re the assessment of a players worth,& believe that they are in a unique position to be aware of certain aspects of each player not necessarily apparent when
sitting in the grandstand.Don't forget,these votes are carried out over the entire SS season by a number of different referees.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I think they notice the strong players at strong clubs too but there are many of them and so the points are widely distributed in many cases. For the record, this is in no way a criticism of referees.
My point was that it favours the strong player at the middle of the road club (eg Dave Harvey) not that it always finishes that way. For mine, Jed Holloway will be another example of a strong player in a middle of the road club if he wins. This is based on their 9 wins, 1 draw, 8 losses in the minor premiership as opposed to their grand final appearance.
One of the reasons for this is that the referees often give the 2 points to the best player in the losing side.
The issue that I have is that if we were picking the 10 best performers of 2014, it would be a different list to the one above.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Newspaper of the Year - SMH ...not.

Coverage of SS a disgrace!!

You can blame the NSWRU and the SRU (whoever they are) for that. Any organisation seeking publicity needs to have media officer who works to get stories published in the press and on radio and TV. Not sure if either of these bodies have such a role but they're not doing a very good job if they are. And then, to top it off, the ARU dumps on the SS by lauching the NRC 3 days before the GF and stealing all the limelight :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.