• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Dave, it was good to see Reece Hodge do well on debut for the Rebels.

Yeah John - it was great to see.
I believe he will continue to impress, not a bad achievement 2014 out of the game through injury, playing 12 in 2015 and making sufficient impression to get a contract - and then be starting in round one.

Really keen to see how Mexted goes this year - seemed to have ample time, and great vision in last weeks trial.

Jesse Trevenar

Frank Row (1)
Thanks Blackers13.

Watched a reasonable amount of Norths v Easts on Saturday.

Looked like 2 fairly even sides, Easts much bigger and I thought
Norths were a bit more structured. Although Easts won around 5 tries to 2.

Norths did lose their starting prop very early on.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
2016 Season Memberships are now open!
Renew or become a member in 2016 and receive great discounts on entry to matches and be present when you hear our song ring out:
For more information, watch the video, and go to http://twobluesrugby.com.au/ for more information
I am slightly miffed that @Bellytwoblues has chosen to use someone who can actually sing rather than myself, or even Thommo. A missed opportunity.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Wicks playing Rebels at Redmond Field Rockdale (with the sea breeze blowing up Muddy Creek from Botany Bay ;))
Grade and Colts on adjacent fields, normal comp kickoff times.
I'll be interested to see what sort of teams the Wicks field with a host of players on duty with the Tahs, Gen Blue U20s and 7s.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There is a story circulating that Stars NRC has gone, and a further story that Uni will align with Eagles in the NRC as a consequence.

Some one has then posted a list of all the Pro players, and former U20 reps associated with Wicks, Beasts, The Corporation and Country in the NRC thread. They have then listed the same for the Rays and Rams.

The Eagles could call on 2 XV's of top notch players and have a stack of former U20 young'uns for further depth. Meanwhile Rams and Rays have about 3 pro players each.

As @The Coach points out when Wicks don't have their Pro, Gen Blue and 7's stars available, it is a real patchwork team in First Grade that will struggle against the club teams full of experienced stalwarts like Woodies, Rats and Marlins. Same for The Corporation yet both clubs come in for a fair bit of grief about their warehousing of talent.

With Shute Shield season being aligned with the finish of the Super Season to accommodate the NRC, the annual parachuting of Pro Players into the Shute Shield Finals has stopped and the Premierships will be more in tune with the Minor Premiership rankings. Wicks and The Corporation may make the finals, but will really struggle to become Premiers.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
If you haven't already read them, I can recommend Brett Papworth's two articles on the Rugby News website regarding the decision by the ARU to not give any funds to club rugby. I think he's summed up the position of most people associated with clubs in Sydney, but I'd be interested in others' thoughts on the subject.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Wicks beat Southern 7 tries to 2 (by my count).
Even first half, Wicks ran away in the last 20 minutes.
Wicks played Souths 2nds in the second half - good hit out for both squads in 30 degree heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAZinga

Stan Wickham (3)
Eastwood beat Sydney uni 36-26ish. Then Sydney Uni beat Brumbies Runners.

Penrith beat Blue Mountains throughout the grades

Parramatta beat West Harbour 21-10 and throughout most the grades

Status
Not open for further replies.