• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This is the year for the folk from the Shires - Hills and Sutherland.
These will be closely followed by another breakaway group containing the Insular Peninsular folk - MMM and the Rats.

Up front of the chasing peloton will be Wix, Uni and Beasts with M2B and the Shoremen keeping them honest.

Pirates and Highlanders will surprise a few teams above them but will ultimately be a bit off the back of the main peloton.

The Emus will be carrying the Lanterne Rouge in the autobus, back with the Shute Shield Commissaire.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I would like to see aspiring professional players opt not to test themselves at the higher level in hopes of gaining Super Rugby exposure.

Fanciful suggestion really.

No matter how much you like it being from interstate if the Sydney clubs don't support it the ARU are going to be in a whole world of trouble.

The stalemate will only last so long until the ARU has to eventually come to the party for the clubs that supported them (the Sydney clubs).

I would suggest it's not a suggestion and it's not fanciful it could be reality quite soon.

T

Train Without a Station

The clubs can do whatever they want.

Fanciful is the thought that players who at best have 12 years of professional rugby ahead of them, will pass up the opportunity to play at NRC level which will easily secure them an overseas contract. I.e. They will put their loyalty to their club before their career.

If that was the case, Dave Beat wouldn't be complaining about the Rebels stealing his Marlin's players, because they'd all still be on the insular peninsular playing for the Marlins.

But players need to think of their careers. So they aren't.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I agree that now that its up & running,players will do what's in their best interest.
As it should be.

In retrospect the clubs should have demanded irrevocable funding pledges from the ARU before they committed their resources & $$ that made the new tier possible.
It's fanciful to suggest that the comp was viable without the clubs both agreeing to shorten their season & to commit to supporting the new entities.

The naysayers just don't understand how uncertain it all was at the time.
No one had any idea whether the crowds would number in the tens or the thousands.
IIRC,despite the SS finishing early to accomodate the new comp,due to time constraints & inclement weather.
The Rams had one team session under the grandstand at Concord oval before their first game.
What player was going to walk out on their SS side before the end of season to join the great unknown that the NRC was at that time?

T

Train Without a Station

ILTW how would the Shute Shield continue if it wasn't sanctioned by the ARU?

All clubs need to get approval (merely a formality) from the levels above for trials to be covered by insurance.

If the ARU did not approve it, it would be unsanctioned and uninsured.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Go back to when it was first discussed as an option,BP was keen to get it up & running if everyone supported it.
He was never going to war on it.
its actually the most ridiculous point made on the subject to date.
the ARU would be ridiculed for even threatening to suspend a competition of 12 clubs & 7 grades,because the clubs didn't agree to shorten their comp without compensation to benefit a comp that may or may not even get up & running.

T

Train Without a Station

According to Randwick's financial reports their sponsorship increase by close to $100k from the 2013 to 2015 season and their Coogee oval revenue double from $47k to $99k over that period.

What are we compensating them for? And is there no goodwill "credit" for any improvements to the game as a whole that enable them to be more commercially successful?

Or is it only when there is the prospect of any loss that it's the ARU's fault but get no credit when things improve for them?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Either you are being disingenuous or you are not aware of the facts that you are discussing.
Randwick was at its lowest point in 2012/13.
A new board re energised the place,and they were very pro active in recruiting schoolboy stars & sponsors from this point.
The improvement in their financial position,and their results on the field are directly linked to their efforts, not some rising tide as a result of some fantasy ARU initiatives.
your suggestion that district clubs across the board have doubled their revenues on the back of the ARU is just ludicrous!

T

Train Without a Station

It's not a suggestion that district clubs have.

It's noting that the only one that has full up do date financial records has.

Not so much a link to any initiatives, but more so that a greater profile for rugby benefits all.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
And yet,in the same time frame,the Reds,with same management and coaches,have gone the other way.
Why hasn't this greater profile increased their sponsorship exponentially and doubled their gate?

T

Train Without a Station

Based on why I cancelled my membership, complete disregard for their fan base id suggest.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

Fanciful is the thought that players who at best have 12 years of professional rugby ahead of them, will pass up the opportunity to play at NRC level which will easily secure them an overseas contract. I.e. They will put their loyalty to their club before their career.

If that was the case, Dave Beat wouldn't be complaining about the Rebels stealing his Marlin's players, because they'd all still be on the insular peninsular playing for the Marlins.

TWAS you are wrong - I love seeing the players reach higher honors, whether it be at the Tah's or elsewhere.

What we don't agree with is that if they aren't in the match day 23 they cant play in the strongest comp. for that we agree to disagree.

T

Train Without a Station

ILTW from what I can find the Wicks made a quarter final in 2013 and finished 6th in 2015 so not sure there was a dramatic difference results wise.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

Players from Sydney will ultimately have the decision made thats best for the Sydney clubs.

I don't think it's fanciful at all for the Sydney Rugby Union to run it's own representative structure that could garner enough interest for a network to broadcast it.

Rams, Stars, Rays & Country could all play each other or something along similar lines.

You forget that with these new levies the ARU is pretty much charging each player for the insurance structure. A few years back the Sydney Junior clubs were in war mode and the competition was set to split and clubs had enough funds to believe they could insure the players at the club with enough re arranging. Take into account the ARU has already insured every player playing this season.

You are dreaming if you think this can't happen all it takes is for the clubs to not invest in the Rays and Rams anymore and Country is theoretically broke anyway with zero financial support from the ARU.

Status
Not open for further replies.