• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Manly v Eastern Suburbs
2ND, 3RD and 4TH GRADE (Keirle Park & Manly Oval) CANCELLED.
1st Grade (Manly Oval) currently remains at the scheduled times.

Manly first grade now also cancelled - or postponed

As predicted, no way Manly Oval could have taken more than one game. First grade would have resembled a cross between mud-wrestling and wakeboarding had it gone ahead.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Didn't need him. Amusing that Tilse was hidden away in the second row as usual, to save his blushes yet again.

Always amuses me how much vitriol gets thrown at Tilse, whose worst crime is fronting up each year to play rugby. If you have a problem with him being selected by the Tahs, direct it at them. I doubt he's blackmailing them to give him a low level contract year-in, year-out. He just seems to want to play. But I appreciate it fits the general narrative of this thread to keep the spite flowing at anything to do with Uni.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
When you are a schoolboy graduate playing first grade rugby, it's probably a good idea not to try and be the team's enforcer. [snip]

^^^^ ..... or you might end up like this?
8ec1f75e1f7367a55e7c3d8d7c74048d.jpg

Looked like a kick to the head in a mall from Uni #7, for mine.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A. But I appreciate it fits the general narrative of this thread to keep the spite flowing at anything to do with Uni.

I'm not sure that this comment is particularly accurate. I've just been back for the last 10 pages and can't find one derogatory comment about Sydney University. In fact there's very little negative stuff at all about any club. So different from many other threads. While we all support our own clubs, we are all mostly positive about the competition.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm not sure that this comment is particularly accurate. I've just been back for the last 10 pages and can't find one derogatory comment about Sydney University. In fact there's very little negative stuff at all about any club. So different from many other threads. While we all support our own clubs, we are all mostly positive about the competition.

Chip on shoulder maybe?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

I missed the bit where I specified the vitriol against Tilse or Uni was all in this thread. Also, 10 pages of this year's thread is a small sample in the life of this place.
You must be kidding if you think there isn't generally a vibe against Uni when any discussion (in this or other threads) mentions them. That's fine, by all means validly critique the institution, but when it then becomes directed against players who are just, well, playing, it becomes a bit off. Which was my point.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Where's Bruce Ross when we need him?!

Agree that anti uni sentiment ain't obvious on the SS thread this year .No doubt reflects the even competition this year and rise of clubs we (whoever that is) used to hate.

Feeling much better disposed to Uni since Tummy became a regular SS player again and young Pulver vacated their ranks . The odour of privilege and secret handshake is far less discernible ;).

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Here 'tis.

Amazing the difference a word makes. That word is "all". Only a small word, but it makes a difference nonetheless. And, as I said, the point was primarily about the slur on a player. Which still stands.
Thanks for your input, though.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I missed the bit where I specified the vitriol against Tilse or Uni was all in this thread. Also, 10 pages of this year's thread is a small sample in the life of this place.
You must be kidding if you think there isn't generally a vibe against Uni when any discussion (in this or other threads) mentions them. That's fine, by all means validly critique the institution, but when it then becomes directed against players who are just, well, playing, it becomes a bit off. Which was my point.

I'm just holding you to the same standard that you hold me to when I make a comment.

If "the general narrative of this thread to keep the spite flowing at anything to do with Uni" (your words), then I'd expect at least one or two such comments in ten pages of posts. But nope, not one. So it's hardly a general narrative.

Wamberal's criticism of Tilse is his view and your defence of him is your view - both valid personal opinions, to which you are each entitled. If all your post said was that the criticism of Tilse was, in your view, unfounded then that's one thing, but to make the statement that the general narrative of THIS thread was to throw spite at anything to do with Uni, then it's just not correct.

Pity you can't acknowledge it and move on instead of playing word games.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Back to the footy.

There are plenty of deferred games to be played. Any ideas when?

Unless a club has access to two well lit ovals, with work, travel time and stuff, it will be hard to schedule more than two deferred games in a midweek night without starting and finishing at ridiculous times.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A final couple of comments. My opinion of Tilse is based on his total failure to perform over several years against a succession of no-name Eastwood front rows.

University now have four Waratahs front row forwards in their ranks, three of them took the field yesterday. Eastwod has one, who did not play yesterday.

In the last scrum of the match the unsung Eastwood forwards absolutely demolished the University pack. That says something. And the pathetic response by Latu shows something, too.

As for the obligatory and insulting pats on the head, I do stick to my point. That is not something that grown-ups do. I cannot recall an All Black doing it. It is certainly not something that we see more than occasionally in New Zealand rugby. But we saw a lot of it yesterday.

Time for University players and supporters to man up and play the game. You do have some advantages, for various reasons, you should use them to be a source of strength for the code. That implies playing like men, not children.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
A final couple of comments. My opinion of Tilse is based on his total failure to perform over several years against a succession of no-name Eastwood front rows.

University now have four Waratahs front row forwards in their ranks, three of them took the field yesterday. Eastwod has one, who did not play yesterday.

In the last scrum of the match the unsung Eastwood forwards absolutely demolished the University pack. That says something. And the pathetic response by Latu shows something, too.

As for the obligatory and insulting pats on the head, I do stick to my point. That is not something that grown-ups do. I cannot recall an All Black doing it. It is certainly not something that we see more than occasionally in New Zealand rugby. But we saw a lot of it yesterday.

Time for University players and supporters to man up and play the game. You do have some advantages, for various reasons, you should use them to be a source of strength for the code. That implies playing like men, not children.
What a load of bullshit. I watched a game yesterday which was a good hard game played by both teams, and one team was the better. Given the conditions, both sides played some great footy. Tom Carter acknowledged in his speech that they were just not good enough, and Eastwood were. That was the story of the game, not your bitter drivel.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
So you are happy with the pat on the head schoolboy mentality?

That sort of nonsense does not belong in our game.

Bitter? I do like a pint when I am in fhe Old Dart. Tastes pretty good. Better than sour grapes.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Rugged old game at TG Milner - both sides having a crack with a lot of enterprise in awful conditions, some brutal defence. Couple of good Eastwood tries - looks like the bikkies will go to them.
Given that this was what I wrote yesterday, and my post about the game above, hardly sour. I can acknowledge the other team playing better and winning, you seem stuck on the same track as ever.
I didn't endorse the pat on the head stuff, but it's hardly confined to one team.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Okay, let's leave it there. You obviously love your club, and that's great.

As for me, I grew up in an era when Eastwood could barely win a game. Now we win a lot. But I would prefer to see the game flourishing everywhere, even if it meant that we never won another premiership.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Back to the footy.

There are plenty of deferred games to be played. Any ideas when?

Unless a club has access to two well lit ovals, with work, travel time and stuff, it will be hard to schedule more than two deferred games in a midweek night without starting and finishing at ridiculous times.

Monday of the long weekend -- assuming the rain has stopped by then?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Okay, let's leave it there. You obviously love your club, and that's great.

As for me, I grew up in an era when Eastwood could barely win a game. Now we win a lot. But I would prefer to see the game flourishing everywhere, even if it meant that we never won another premiership.

I'm the same. I followed Uni when they were in 2nd division, and when they got flogged by all and sundry. I've been vocal enough in past about the way they go about some things now, but after near 40 years, I'll still follow them. But a broader playing field is indeed better.

Status
Not open for further replies.