• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
There was a couple of posts around the start of the year saying that the Brook Street clubhouse had reopened. What happened to that?

Last time I was at Coogee oval, the post game festivities were at the Coogee Bowlo. That seemed to be a fairly decent and convenient venue. Roof, walls, floors, doors, beer, dunnies. What more does the discerning rugby fan need?

Brook Street was open some Friday nights and after home games for a while. I'm told the Coogee Bowlo had arranged some sort of temporary lease from the new owners, but that seems to have fallen through. Post game festivities have been held at the Coogee Bay Hotel (Wicks' sponsors) for the last few home games and that venue also hosted a reshowing of the 1988 Wicks v ABs game a couple of Sundays ago. Curiously the Brook Street premises still carry the Wicks signage.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Water?
I'm not sure he's too familiar with that liquid.

And this year is the 50th Anniversary of Eastwood's first First Grade Grand Final appearance against guess who. J. Sayle was on the side of the scrum for the guess who's.

What a club side. Brass, Smith, Reubner, Bob Lay, John Francis, Tony Moore, Mick O'Gorman, Dennis O'Callaghan, Denis "Hambone" Cleary, John Weber, Mick Rosenberg, Bill Outterside and of course Peter Johnson and Mr. C.

I remember the state of feverish excitement we also-rans were in when Chris Wheadon crashed over for his second try. 17 - 14!!!! We were in it!!!

Then Tony Moore did the most un-Randwick thing of kicking a field goal. (I hope Cheika reads this),

20 - 14. All over, except for two late converted tries.

Just sensational.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
And this year is the 50th Anniversary of Eastwood's first First Grade Grand Final appearance against guess who. J. Sayle was on the side of the scrum for the guess who's.

What a club side. Brass, Smith, Reubner, Bob Lay, John Francis, Tony Moore, Mick O'Gorman, Dennis O'Callaghan, Denis "Hambone" Cleary, John Weber, Mick Rosenberg, Bill Outterside and of course Peter Johnson and Mr. C.

I remember the state of feverish excitement we also-rans were in when Chris Wheadon crashed over for his second try. 17 - 14!!!! We were in it!!!

Then Tony Moore did the most un-Randwick thing of kicking a field goal. (I hope Cheika reads this),

20 - 14. All over, except for two late converted tries.

Just sensational.

John Ballesty played for the Woodies in the GF?

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
Dunno about Barry. He did play earlier in the season IIRC, but did not make much impact.

Of all the players we have lost, Pat Sio is the one we miss the most.

Ed Craig has covered very well for Roach.
Tom Hill has been away in europe as well. That bloke knows how to play.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What is Alofa Alofa's story just decided to have a run with Randwick with the aim of getting a contract? The Rebels have him on some kind of short term deal?
Going to be good fun for Gordon's 4th graders having Kevin Locke playing tomorrow!
Any reports on how these fellows performed in the lower grades?

Hearing stories of some Shute Shielders heading off to NZL to try to land a spot in their ITM Cup. I thought that NRC was supposed to stop that happening.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Actually, Hugh, I think getting some ITM Cup experience is a plus for Australian rugby, as long as the players come back.

I could name several current Wallabies who could learn a lot.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ala'alatoa went to Manawatu and didn't come back. Now a Crusader.

Will Skelton's bro, Cameron, went to Chiefs Development after Samoa U20's. Not seen since.

Peter Thingy (? - flanker) from Wix played with Nelson Makos, now a Crusader.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ala'alatoa went to Manawatu and didn't come back. Now a Crusader.

Will Skelton's bro, Cameron, went to Chiefs Development after Samoa U20's. Not seen since.

Peter Thingy (? - flanker) from Wix played with Nelson Makos, now a Crusader.
Pete Samu. Good player. Not sure I can forgive him going to The Filth though :) Mind you, under my "support your local team" philosophy I should support the Crusaders for at least part of the Mitre 10 Cup as I will be down that way for a while.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Any reports on how these fellows performed in the lower grades?

Hearing stories of some Shute Shielders heading off to NZL to try to land a spot in their ITM Cup. I thought that NRC was supposed to stop that happening.

Kevin Locke played 3 minutes of 4th grade had one good run and then went off as he had done his qualification game for the weekend and Souths run at the finals.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Alofa Alofa played well (2 tries) in 2nds for Wicks but considering the quality (or lack thereof) of the opposition it wasn't hard to look good. He could be a chance of playing 1sts with Horwitz, Kellaway and Robinson presumerably not available and Lachie Anderson missed the game with injury.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Jarred came off the bench in 2s against us on the weekend. It would be fair to say he looked a little 'under done' without being disrespectful.

In fairness as I understand it he hasn't played since round 3 or so with nasty thumb injury. A fit Barry would be a big help to Woods right now

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think 3 minutes of 4th Grade footy should not count as being one of the four rounds played with the club during the Minor premiership series (Rule 33.2a of the SRU competition rules on Finals Series eligibility).

While technically correct, 3 minutes of 4th Grade footy counting as a round played appears to be about as cynical a manipulation of the intent of the competition rules as Paddy Ryan playing 10 minutes of 2nd Grade Footy in order to come on in First Grade as a Fresh Reserve worth 0 player points.

I look forward to reading the Commentariat's view on this. Presumably they will be consistent, but then I can have unrealistic expectations at times.

Is it common practice for a player to play a cameo in lower grade just to comply with the "minimum of four rounds during the Minor Premiership series" rule?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Alofa Alofa played well (2 tries) in 2nds for Wicks but considering the quality (or lack thereof) of the opposition it wasn't hard to look good. He could be a chance of playing 1sts with Horwitz, Kellaway and Robinson presumerably not available and Lachie Anderson missed the game with injury.

Interesting. Sad that he didn't head back to the Pirates because it sounds like they need Super Rugby calibre players more than Randwick 2nd Grade do.

I see on Wikipedia that he was capped for Samoa in late 2014. This would then make him a marquee player at any Oz Super Franchise, and thus I would think that it make it a bit more difficult to land a gig here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alofa_Alofa

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Interesting. Sad that he didn't head back to the Pirates because it sounds like they need Super Rugby calibre players more than Randwick 2nd Grade do.

I see on Wikipedia that he was capped for Samoa in late 2014. This would then make him a marquee player at any Oz Super Franchise, and thus I would think that it make it a bit more difficult to land a gig here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alofa_Alofa

Yes, good point HJ.
I noticed he was lumped with 16 PPs so he might not be that easy to fit into 1st grade either, given that Hoiles, Freier and Phibbs add up to 28 points between them!

Status
Not open for further replies.