• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
That 20.1 (e) is interesting, for what its worth I thought it was a bit ridiculous that there was 15 on the field for Souths and not 8 in the scrum. Just my two cents.

It is a shame if players missed out on getting a run because of there not being contested scrums.

I can understand an AR not reporting comments from a teams coaching staff to the referee.

Yes, so can I.
The ref should have been aware of the situation but the AR is supposed to assist him if he misses something, especially if it's an ongoing problem. The real problem is that the ARs are volunteers some of whom don't have any qualifications or understanding of the rules. To take Knuckles point about having a professionally run comp, wouldn't it be great if we had neutral, qualified ARs for all games not just 1sts?

Oz talent

Allen Oxlade (6)
I ditched the Wicks on Saturday and went and watched the derby between the Marlins and the Rats. The Marlins appear to be a shadow of the 2015 model. Not sure where they sit on the ladder but gee they struggled on the weekend. Either the Rats were absolutely on song and there wasn't much Manly could do, or they are well off the pace this year. Great day of footy and even stopped in at The Newport on the way home.
Cheers

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Does anyone have confirmation of finals format?
I watched the TV game last night and they were saying that top two teams get a second chance if they loose in first round of finals, I thought it was top 6 with top 2 not playing till semis?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Mighty Marlins are running sixth. One point ahead of Eastwood!

Eastwood at home to the Galloping Greens on Saturday.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Does anyone have confirmation of finals format?
I watched the TV game last night and they were saying that top two teams get a second chance if they loose in first round of finals, I thought it was top 6 with top 2 not playing till semis?

I think week 1 (Qualifying Finals) is:
1 v 6
2 v 5
3 v 4
with the 2 lowest placed losers eliminated (so only 1 can't be eliminated)

Week 2 (SFs) is:
highest placed winner v lowest placed remaining team
the other two play each other

Week 3 (GF) is:
winners from week 2

So assuming 1 and 2 win in week 1, week 2 would be:
1 v 4
2 v 3

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think week 1 (Qualifying Finals) is:
1 v 6
2 v 5
3 v 4
with the 2 lowest placed losers eliminated (so only 1 can't be eliminated)

Week 2 (SFs) is:
highest placed winner v lowest placed remaining team
the other two play each other

Week 3 (GF) is:
winners from week 2

So assuming 1 and 2 win in week 1, week 2 would be:
1 v 4
2 v 3

Any theories on who 1 to 6 will be?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
When does the rugby season end.

Juniors go through until the 27th August.
Real shame that Premier Rugby finished 16th July (unless you make the semi's).

Premier Rugby is suppose to provide a pathway and yet the powers above want to shut it down early.

People may reference the NRC - but hey lets face it, that is geared towards super squads or the strongest Premier players.

There are a truck load of good players out there, and others who enjoy playing and their season is being closed early - that isn't about growing rugby.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Dave, wouldn't it be great to get back to full home-and-away rounds ie 22 games instead of 18?

I'm sure it's achievable by starting the season earlier and/or finishing later, even if it means fewer teams in the playoffs.

BTW, I'm assuming Tim Donlan is injured -- is that right?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Coach - yeah, Rugby starting in March - finishing in July whats with that?
When does Pre - Season start?

22 rounds and i don't even think we need to start the season any earlier n- winter has only just arrived.

If you were a kid who loved playing rugby, maybe played colts last year and 3rds / 2nds this year and your season stopped in 2 weeks - that's not good for rugby.

Yeah Tim's injured - think he's back this week.

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)

Premier Rugby is suppose to provide a pathway and yet the powers above want to shut it down early.

People may reference the NRC - but hey lets face it, that is geared towards super squads or the strongest Premier players.

There are a truck load of good players out there, and others who enjoy playing and their season is being closed early - that isn't about growing rugby.

I reckon there will be a flurry of "domestic transfers" put in so players can get an extra four weeks in with their "old" clubs. Players are hitting their peak and the season ends, why not use that fitness/muscle to help their clubs.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
When you say old clubs, I presume your comments are directed to players in Shute Shield that are from the bush, and still have family in the bush that can house & feed them for the extra month of footy with their "old clubs".

Many Shute Shield players have been training since October/November last year and, if they don't make NRC, they would probably welcome some time off footy, because pre-season 2017 will be on us in no time.

The days of dusting off the running shoes in late February to prepare for the winter footy season are long gone for Shute Shield. That is a lower division Subbies concept nowadays, with training and preparation for Shute Shield being nearly a year round activity.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
When you say old clubs, I presume your comments are directed to players in Shute Shield that are from the bush, and still have family in the bush that can house & feed them for the extra month of footy with their "old clubs".

Many Shute Shield players have been training since October/November last year and, if they don't make NRC, they would probably welcome some time off footy, because pre-season 2017 will be on us in no time.

The days of dusting off the running shoes in late February to prepare for the winter footy season are long gone for Shute Shield. That is a lower division Subbies concept nowadays, with training and preparation for Shute Shield being nearly a year round activity.

Think its reference to the likes of Fitzpatrick, Hill, and others who are coming out this week.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

The clubs could always organise a 7s circuit to fill the gaps.

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)

That is quite correct "quite large posterior". I know quite a few of the younger guys in the Shute Shield who are very disappointed that the season (for their club) is ending in a couple of weeks.

For these younger players - too much rugby is never enough :)

And I reckon quite a few of them are looking forward to getting a proper meal at home ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.