• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
NRC squad members playing in the GF play the GF and the other NRC squad players play NRC

Are you sure about that? Considering the players were overwhelmingly in favour of the NRC, it's place in the calendar and its structure this move effectively ignores there opinions. If the ARU says that in order to move forward they have to play NRC I reckon they'll take their opportunities.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The ARU would be fricken insane to cause a bigger rift with the clubs by forcing players to miss SS finals to play NRC early rounds.

Fuck the clubs........

The ARU pay these players wages......

It's Sydney Club Rugby's fault if they miss out on playing the GF.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I reckon it's a good result.
Undoubtedly the ARU will demand contracted players bypass the SS & play 1st round NRC.

Leaving the clubs to use the players that got them to the finals.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Fuck the clubs....

The ARU pay these players wages..

It's not the clubs, it's the old school explayers who like to throw their weight around as if they're the real power brokers of the game.
I don't think Pulver and co are perfect, but they are moving the game in a direction that a modern sport requires (NRC, increased focus on female participation, wider audience with 7s etc). The last thing the game needs is more ammunition for them to try and destabilise Pulver et al.
Give SRU the season it wants and do it in a positive, supportive way. Fix up the pissing up the wall comment. this crap need to be sorted and perhaps it's the olive branch worth offering.
Then get down to business on bringing more players and supporters to the game through all the various avenues rather than having a bloody big wound in one of the bigger avenues.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
My issue is that despite making noises about needing to go back to 22 rounds as their justification they started off with they have kept the 18 rounds, introduced a bye round and moved the start date back a fortnight.

It would be very easy for them to have just kept the same number of rounds, starting at the same time without conflicting withthe NRC. But self interest and arrogance rears its fucking head once again.

The NRC is the structure we need and provides a higher standard for players to test themselves as per the players themselves. So annoyed right now. Assuming they manage to find the funds for the broadcast (big questions over that still) I won't be watching for the first time in 18 odd years.

T

TOCC

The ARU would be fricken insane to cause a bigger rift with the clubs by forcing players to miss SS finals to play NRC early rounds.

SRU and the clubs would have been stupid not to consider this scenario when making the decision to overlap the GF and the NRC.

The ARU needs to protect their own interests as well as the interests of those who have invested in this tournament.. think of the sponsors and broadcasters who are supporting this competition based on the expectation that the best players available are playing. Even the sponsors of opposition teams will be mightily disappointed in this decision by the SRU. Begg and his cronies need to start realising Rugby Union is bigger then just Sydney..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Consider a sponsor like Buildcorp who have invested hundreds of $&thousands in not only the NRC but Shute Shield, now they have the ridiculous scenario of wanting the best players representing Sydney Uni but also playing in the competition that they are the naming rights sponsor of, the NRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Fuck the clubs....

The ARU pay these players wages..

Clubs are part of the pathway / team, same dumb arse comment as always.

I have only ever said, premier rugby and other bodies need to work together to acheive optimal outcome. Your reference is as stupid as the piggies saying Fuck the backs let's play 8 man Rugby.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Dave, the emotion on both sides is understandable, but no, from the perspective of some of us, "fuck the clubs" is not dumb arse. Rude emotional perhaps but completely understandable and predictable.

And SS/SRU have noone else but themselves to blame for an extremely obvious reaction to a deliberate and planned move.

The clubs, all of them, also culpable in my mind. Being silent is tacit support.

In the mean time, the expectation from some unimpressed by the SRU - ie that the SS Grand Final will lose players) - is premature. Pressure will be on those guys throughout the season and it would be hard to walk away. The results here will not be a loss to the SRU, but a phyrric victory where everyone is NSW rugby loses.

What we are seeing is a follow through on Papworths intentional timing to attack publically the ARU in the week of the NRC finals 2016, with Begg declaring war on the opening game 2017.

Any of the Papworth/Begg and the rest supporters, who are angered by obvious responses from parts of the rugby fraternity are really not looking at it seriously from anything but a partison position.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Dave, the emotion on both sides is understandable, but no, from the perspective of some of us, "fuck the clubs" is not dumb arse. Rude emotional perhaps but completely understandable and predictable.

And SS/SRU have noone else but themselves to blame for an extremely obvious reaction to a deliberate and planned move.

The clubs, all of them, also culpable in my mind. Being silent is tacit support.

In the mean time, the expectation from some unimpressed by the SRU - ie that the SS Grand Final will lose players) - is premature. Pressure will be on those guys throughout the season and it would be hard to walk away. The results here will not be a loss to the SRU, but a phyrric victory where everyone is NSW rugby loses.

What we are seeing is a follow through on Papworths intentional timing to attack publically the ARU in the week of the NRC finals 2016, with Begg declaring war on the opening game 2017.

Any of the Papworth/Begg and the rest supporters, who are angered by obvious responses from parts of the rugby fraternity are really not looking at it seriously from anything but a partison position.

Dru, i did say bodies need to work together.
Telling one body to Fuck Off is rather dumb arse.
I referenced Premier rugby not Shute Shield.

I note Slim said the ARU pay these players, so am i correct in understanding all contracted players in the NRC receive an annual Group Cert from the ARU as Slim advised?
I do note that a number of NRC teams opperate under a Soup body and possibly have a different funding flow.

I might also say that these clubs that Slim wants to Fuck Off also contributed considerable funds so the NRC is what it is.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

I note Slim said the ARU pay these players, so am i correct in understanding all contracted players in the NRC receive an annual Group Cert from the ARU as Slim advised?
I do note that a number of NRC teams opperate under a Soup body and possibly have a different funding flow.

I might also say that these clubs that Slim wants to Fuck Off also contributed considerable funds so the NRC is what it is.

Dave

The SRU did not work together, they intentionally attacked in order to damage the NRC. It is not a "Premier Rugby" issue, quite from it. The QPR has avoided the situation, presumably they have "worked together". It is a complete and repeated misdirection from the SRU to classify these issues as "Premier Rugby" and ""grass roots".

The comment is understanable, not dumb arse.

You perpetuate this misderection of "premier clubs" but should not be surprised when recieving responses that hit the target - SRU and the SS clubs.

Yes, those clubs who have supported the NRC you would think would be supported by those who are frustrated by the antics of the SRU. But it is duplicitous when they remain mute or add to the grass roots argufication in the background. For the life of me, I don't understand why clubs like the Marlins and supporters like yourself are not speaking against Begg's actions.

And while this continues, it may be a broad brush, but you paint yourselves.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's time that concerned SS club fans got hold of Begg, Papworth, Poidivin etc and said, "whoa there boys, slow the horses. You think you are sharp shooters but you're using a blunderbus. All rugby in NSW is losing here."

The job in stirring up the ARU hornet's nest is done. But there is over reach that is a flame that may damage irrepairably rugby in NSW.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

The clubs behind the Rays did. The rest is negligible. The Rams are owned and financed independently with three of the SS clubs as minority stakeholders and the Eagles are still majority privately owned as well if I remember correctly. The ARU offered the clubs an olive branch by being able to be involved in the NRC. Something no other club from any other competition was afforded to the same degree and to thank them for it they have just spat in their face.

I've been an avid fan of club Rugby for as long as I can remember and a Randwick fan most of my life, but this move ignores what's best for everyone in an attempt to scupper something the game has desperately needed for 20 years. And it's intentional in every aspect of its execution.

Contrary to the bullshit they started off with declaring the need to return to the 22 round season for the sake of the financial stability of the clubs they kept the 18 round structure they imposed on themselves while starting it a fortnight later and adding in a bye round all with the express purpose interrupting and hopefully ending the NRC.

Shadow

Sydney Middleton (9)
The clubs behind the Rays did. The rest is negligible. The Rams are owned and financed independently with three of the SS clubs as minority stakeholders and the Eagles are still majority privately owned as well if I remember correctly. The ARU offered the clubs an olive branch by being able to be involved in the NRC. Something no other club from any other competition was afforded to the same degree and to thank them for it they have just spat in their face.

I've been an avid fan of club Rugby for as long as I can remember and a Randwick fan most of my life, but this move ignores what's best for everyone in an attempt to scupper something the game has desperately needed for 20 years. And it's intentional in every aspect of its execution.

Contrary to the bullshit they started off with declaring the need to return to the 22 round season for the sake of the financial stability of the clubs they kept the 18 round structure they imposed on themselves while starting it a fortnight later and adding in a bye round all with the express purpose interrupting and hopefully ending the NRC.
i doubt having a bye weekend is trying to sabotage the NRC. Try doing 18 straight weeks plus finals plus trials and see how you feel. Giving volunteers a week off is not sabotaging the NRC.
Why not in the first round give the Eagles the bye and have Rams v Rays.
Probably both sides will have some players in the GF and as i have said there is a squad of 28 players so it gives other guys a game.
Last year trials started middle of February and players were playing in 35 degree heat. Rugby is a winter sport not mostly a summer and Autumn sport.
Maybe start the NRC late March and SS starts straight after. This is all because of the fijian team being included. What happens if Pulver decides to bring in a FNQ side then a Samoan side. SS starts Boxing day?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
i doubt having a bye weekend is trying to sabotage the NRC. Try doing 18 straight weeks plus finals plus trials and see how you feel. Giving volunteers a week off is not sabotaging the NRC.
Why not in the first round give the Eagles the bye and have Rams v Rays.
Probably both sides will have some players in the GF and as i have said there is a squad of 28 players so it gives other guys a game.
Last year trials started middle of February and players were playing in 35 degree heat. Rugby is a winter sport not mostly a summer and Autumn sport.
Maybe start the NRC late March and SS starts straight after. This is all because of the fijian team being included. What happens if Pulver decides to bring in a FNQ side then a Samoan side. SS starts Boxing day?

You're kidding right? The Shute used to be 22 rounds at one point. Right across the grades. I know this as I played Colts at that level. There was a bye round then but it was used to catch up on games that were washed out. Which seemed to happen every year so we tended to play through. The volunteers didn't need a break then, what's changed now. Oh, that's right. The NRC.

This is a deliverate attempt to interfere with a much needed structure. It's clearly obvious. There are other options. All very workable apart from the one they've chosen. All wouldn't see any crossover but looky what we've got.

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
I'll tell you one thing for sure. I WILL watch the SS no matter whatever clash is happening. I'm not giving up 18 plus rounds of SS action as some kind of protest. Either I've got no principles or I just couldn't give a toss about it. I'll watch the SS then I'll watch the NRC and try to avoid watching the Wallabies because that's no fun at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.