• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
RE: Woollahra, my understanding is that the rubber-infill technology is no longer considered the best, and that the rubber itself may be toxic and pose a health risk. Pretty sure a couple of European countries have banned it in schools.

Natural alternatives have been developed (from shredded coconut fibres IIRC), and these are replacing the rubber stuff overseas. That's not even mentioning the Desso system (which is what they use at Forsyth-Barr), but the upkeep on that is probably too expensive.

Edit: Here's a link to an article on health concerns in Holland http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...being-ripped-up-in-holland-over-health-fears/

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'm pretty sure it's artificial.
Let's see how it pans out before we make it the universal surface..

its definitely artificial - on a lazy sunday arvo I was watching saracens v sale on artifical turf and i thought "I wonder what happening at Woollahra" so I went down to look.
No posts and still some heavy equipment on the field but it looked just as Allianz park did: where all players seemed to be wearing the same boots you would see on natural turf and no one seemed too concerned about carpet burns.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
its definitely artificial - on a lazy sunday arvo I was watching saracens v sale on artifical turf and i thought "I wonder what happening at Woollahra" so I went down to look.
No posts and still some heavy equipment on the field but it looked just as Allianz park did: where all players seemed to be wearing the same boots you would see on natural turf and no one seemed too concerned about carpet burns.

It's not that jagged astroturf anymore. It's supposed to be softer than grass while maintaining the necessary grip for players when it comes to scrums.

Learned One

Allen Oxlade (6)
While on the subject of vineyards ...... Since you're coming over in Round1, throw a case of "its finest" under that Inside Shoulder.
According to AD, you will have plenty to celebrate!!! He might be right.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
While on the subject of vineyards .. Since you're coming over in Round1, throw a case of "its finest" under that Inside Shoulder.
According to AD, you will have plenty to celebrate!!! He might be right.

Wont be following Shute Shield colts this season - may have a look now and then.
My interest lies south of these parts.
S'pose I should check the Gordon website to see how AD's recruiting is going - blimey they need to get Ric Seton's head in shot, speaking of learned one's

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Interesting to see Wayne Borzak & Sam Gerry Burgess lining up for the students on the weekend. Don't recall Uni getting too many grade players from other Clubs in previous seasons.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
TG was very pictureque.
Manly 4s up.
3 a peice in 3s.
Woods 2 up.
Manly up 6 v5 in ones.
Good hit out cant read much into the scores a number didnt play. And alot of changes after every 40.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Thanks Dave. Anyway, he did get a bit of time in the ones, IIRC, off the bench. Maybe once.

Good kid. I have known him since he was about 6.

front row lova

Bob McCowan (2)
I went out to St Lukes to watch the 3 way trial between pirates, students, and emus. Uni looked clinical as usual and super conditioned, West Harbour had better structure than last yr in attack and can tell the difference already with louden in charge, but bad scrum. Emus,to my surprise did well, looked like they had a few new players. Never seen a good Penrith scrum, but yesterday they were bloody good, lead by their tighthead. Maybe they got him from New Zealand? long hair and built like a brick shithouse!

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
I went out to St Lukes to watch the 3 way trial between pirates, students, and emus. Uni looked clinical as usual and super conditioned, West Harbour had better structure than last yr in attack and can tell the difference already with louden in charge, but bad scrum. Emus,to my surprise did well, looked like they had a few new players. Never seen a good Penrith scrum, but yesterday they were bloody good, lead by their tighthead. Maybe they got him from New Zealand? long hair and built like a brick shithouse!

Looking forward to seeing how Penrith go this year. Has been a,ot of hard work put in way out west.

Won't be world beaters, though competitive would be good to see.

Dooley

Frank Row (1)
Emanuele Fuamotu, he has been with the Emus for about 3 years and prior with Parra. Fun fact competed at 2012 Olympics in Shot Put and holds a number of records. If he can get fit and work on movement/flexibility, he'll get the edge on a number of the more established props going around. The raw power he generates is crazy. All at the age of 27

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Garza

Stan Wickham (3)
Great trials Souths v Easts. Souths generally heavier in the packs were run around in sun by Easts but tackling at the end tired Easts. Good hit out. Easts could do with more players. Woollahra artificial turf looking great just topped off with cork infills.

front row lova

Bob McCowan (2)
Emanuele Fuamotu, he has been with the Emus for about 3 years and prior with Parra. Fun fact competed at 2012 Olympics in Shot Put and holds a number of records. If he can get fit and work on movement/flexibility, he'll get the edge on a number of the more established props going around. The raw power he generates is crazy. All at the age of 27

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Wow you learn something new everyday, certainly explains some things you see when he was on the field. Hopefully he stays at Penrith! Him and big Borsak were chatting away after the game looks like they were talking about the dark arts together haha. Can't wait for season proper to commence looks like it will be great contests all round.

Status
Not open for further replies.