• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Totally disagree with your opinions & knowledge of scrums.

Well, that's good to know. If my knowledge of scrums is so deficient after almost 70 years involvement in the game, maybe that says something about me.

And the other 98% of the population who either do not know our game exists, or if they do watch it, are bored and/or bemused by the spectacle of 16 men forming, reforming, collapsing, standing up, doing it all again, and again, and finally. A penalty!!! Or a yellow card.

That'll bring the crowds back.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Great crowd, dry hard pitch, but a gale force wind blowing.

Warringah def Manly 27-17. Warringah used the wind much more effectively, played a much smarter game and thoroughly deserved the victory.

Josh Holmes a significant factor in the Rat's win.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Manly had no discernible game plan. Yep, Holmes was absolutely magnificent.

I thought Manly could have tried some highish kicks in the second half, they were not getting very far running the ball out of defense.

Anyway, commiserations to all the Marlins supporters. It must be devastating to win the minor premiership, and then lose two straight.

Congrats to the Rats.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Without getting on to a hobby horse, it's actually beyond belief that a team could go out and play a half of rugby with that gale behind them and not use a kicking-based game to gain field position.

Have we so eradicated kicking skills as an option than teams just can't/won't do it?

EDIT: And as for the tactic of attempting to throw long cut out passes in those conditions, I'm actually speechless.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Without getting on to a hobby horse, it's actually beyond belief that a team could go out and play a half of rugby with that gale behind them and not use a kicking-based game to gain field position.

Have we so eradicated kicking skills as an option than teams just can't/won't do it?

EDIT: And as for the tactic of attempting to throw long cut out passes in those conditions, I'm actually speechless.
Great example of the disadvantage of having the wind when it's as strong as that.
Manly backs, particularly, were throwing rockets that were still drifting forward.
Maybe a bit biased but thought the Holmes try from the Harry jones passing interchange in the 1st half made me question jones' losing his Tahs contract. I know people question his defence but he pulled off a try saver with a very good read, imo.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Great example of the disadvantage of having the wind when it's as strong as that.
Manly backs, particularly, were throwing rockets that were still drifting forward.
Maybe a bit biased but thought the Holmes try from the Harry jones passing interchange in the 1st half made me question jones' losing his Tahs contract. I know people question his defence but he pulled off a try saver with a very good read, imo.

My afternoon was going badly enough without mentioning the Waratahs.:eek:

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Cron will save them.

He's probably the best prospect on the horizon, but I'd prefer to see him spend more time at Norths before getting into the elite game. Too many coaches, players and referees have been elevated to professional status before learning their craft in clubland.

(And dare I say it, I'd throw administrators into that category)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
He won't be the head coach, at least not yet, but he does seem to be a very competent man manager with the ability to get the best out of a team.

I cannot remember being as impressed by a club coach since.........Bryan Palmer!!!!!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I wouldn't be backing against them. They are a big-game club.

Would have to play an absolutely error free game to beat Norths, who are far more creative with ball in hand.

We have been saved by Jai Ayoub in big games in recent years. He is on the sideline, and I am afraid that we will be after today. We just do not have much creativity. I mean, a couple of intercept tries against the Marlins was the height of our backline play last week. That ain't going to happen today.

Our only chance is to keep it as tight as buggery and bash them up front. And I should have added, kick our goals. That is one thing we are bloody good at. Thanks, Tom Hill.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Would have to play an absolutely error free game to beat Norths, who are far more creative with ball in hand.

We have been saved by Jai Ayoub in big games in recent years. He is on the sideline, and I am afraid that we will be after today. We just do not have much creativity. I mean, a couple of intercept tries against the Marlins was the height of our backline play last week. That ain't going to happen today.

Our only chance is to keep it as tight as buggery and bash them up front. And I should have added, kick our goals. That is one thing we are bloody good at. Thanks, Tom Hill.

Or dominate them in the scrums ? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.